What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 90 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

• C81B0F1E-AD9D-4430-BA09-7FDFB6CA3A12.jpeg
    516C83CF-6255-4726-BD1B-ACAFEFF00F35.jpeg
    8A9C1C49-6D74-4E4D-8742-9660FA332E44.jpeg
    852D02F1-45FC-4440-9A02-EF01338AFDE3.jpeg
    488C163A-E29A-4F95-839C-AAB6C6B25D9A.jpeg
    2429F30B-4C18-46C7-807D-009479C7511A.jpeg
  • Hello all, I put on black lug nuts and black with a blue Ford oval MPG caliper covers on my X. The next morning I picked up a screw in the right rear tire (yes, I got screwed). After two years and 25,600 miles there was not enough tread left to patch it, plus the tires were cracking and flaking. Goodbye to the OEM Hankooks and hello to the new set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 I ordered from Tire Rack. They were installed yesterday. I was very happy until I noticed the damage to the rim done by the installer. The owner of the tire center is going to pay for the repair. But on the bright side there is a noticeable improvement in the ride quality, handeling and acceleration with the Continentals. I’ll paint the calipers black when the temperature warms up sometime this spring so everything matches. I might also paint the hats on the rotors, but I may get some sloted and drilled rotors in the near future so I might hold off on the painted hats. Happy trails.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is post with stripes; What did you do to your 5th Gen today?
There is another member who put the black in the hood indent.

Peter
Ok, I'll try not to laught to loud... (Just kidding, I took a picture yesterday to do the same photoshot-ish mock-up!)
Yes, seeing that most are doing the indent, curious to know if the upper section were done by anyone!

Ok, I'll try not to laught to loud... (Just kidding, I took a picture yesterday to do the same photoshot-ish mock-up!)
Yes, seeing that most are doing the indent, curious to know if the upper section were done by anyone!

Are you talking about the sides of the indent? There are pre-cut black vinyl decals on eBay.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Just curious if the OEM wheels you are selling have the TPMS included or did you use them in your new ones?

Peter

Had the PTU drained and refilled. There's no drain plug though, so it had to be vacuumed out, but the shop could only get about half of the fluid out. They did say it didn't look that bad at all, so should be good for the next 40-50k miles at least.

I should've taken pictures, but while they had it up, I noticed rust already developing. This is its first northern winter - previous owners were retirees who took it south for winter, I think - and there's already a noticeable amount of rust (is that the sound of another set of chrome exhausts I hear?).

Next step is to get it undercoated, hopefully next week. After that, an almost total light swap to LEDs is on the cards.

I didn't do all in one day but......R/R Cabin Air Filter with the K&N Washable, Oil Change, the first 6K oil change after the 1000 mile break in oil change. LMS Performance 91 3Bar Tune.

FYI That Cabin Air Filter was that replaced from the owners manual recommendations? Sooner/later? I recommend that whatever the owners manual says for Cabin Air Filter replacement interval Cut that in HALF......Example if manual says 20K Inspect and be ready to replace at 10K If you are in a dusty area even sooner. The cheap paper thin OEM filters and even some of the aftermarkets are not a whole lot better. My buddy's 18 Sport CAF was toast at around 5K. Mine wasn't much better at only 7,200 miles. I went with the K&N washable and a quick spray of Febreeze during install and works good and smells nice. Get a nice scent of whatever the Febreeze was for a few days after installation. With the K&N washable I will inspect again at 10K and probably every 10K after that. For the time involved might as well wash, rinse, dry and install. If anyone wants to see my photos of the pull handle I made for the K&N to make it easier to remove send me PM it is pretty simple.

Where did you get those?
The McGuard 84551 black 1/2”-20 lug nut set including lock nuts I found on Amazon for 67.00. The caliper covers are from MGP Caliper Covers (not mpg as I wrongly stated) go to their website at www.calipercovers.com they have many options to choose from. Happy hunting.

Sorry guys! I've been traveling and actually now a moderator for another FB Forums Group but this is still one of my favorites.

Here's what I did today. Shout outs to Nick Olson of Olson's EcoBoost and EcoPowerParts.com. A big shout out to Car-One Tire & Auto in Hoffman Estates, IL for the install. They do great work with modifications.

This is part 1 of 2. Hot pipes were installed and now just waiting for the dual CAI courtesy of Olson's EcoBoost and EcoPowerParts.com. Just a really short video.

3.5 NA

I expect to get the same that I did when I installed one on my edge 3.5.

Little more power and tq.
Hello Ntrain, how is your Explorer running since you indtalled the bbk throttle body? I’ve been thinking about doing the same. Does it improve the throttle response and does it make alot of noise? Also any problems with it? Thanks

I finished with my Explorer customization today. This included: Exterior- custom red paint accents on the trim; custom red accents on the Ford emblems (front/back), Sport emblem, and hood Explorer lettering; addition of custom Ecoboost badges on the front fenders; custom red paint on the brake calipers; Asanti 22" ABL-21 Gloss Black wheels; Pirelli Scorpion One All Season Plus tires; custom red Ford hub cap decals; LED approach/puddle lamps; black round nerf step bars; driver/passenger front window tinting (to match rear windows); black pearl license plate bracket; red LED license bulbs; black powder-coated dual exhaust tips; Ziebart ceramic paint and rust-proofing protection package; Interior- Lloyd black floor and cargo mats with red binding; custom red Ford steering wheel decal; tempered glass screen protector on Infotainment screen; Thinkware F800PRO Dash Cam (front/rear); Ziebart interior fabric and leather protection package.
Image_1_zpsnjzzas78.jpg

Image_3_zpsszc1dsev.jpg

Image_2_zpsyve4jtdh.jpg

Image_4_zpszlq703gb.jpg

Image_5_zps0piklzpu.jpg

Image_6_zps694lcrgv.jpg

Image_7_zpsw5aeo2ok.jpg

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finished with my Explorer customization today. This included: Exterior- custom red paint accents on the trim; custom red accents on the Ford emblems (front/back), Sport emblem, and hood Explorer lettering; addition of custom Ecoboost badges on the front fenders; custom red paint on the brake calipers; Asanti 22" ABL-21 Gloss Black wheels; Pirelli Scorpion One All Season Plus tires; custom red Ford hub cap decals; LED approach/puddle lamps; black round nerf step bars; driver/passenger front window tinting (to match rear windows); black pearl license plate bracket; red LED license bulbs; black powder-coated dual exhaust tips; Ziebart ceramic paint and rust-proofing protection package; Interior- Lloyd black floor and cargo mats with red binding; custom red Ford steering wheel decal; tempered glass screen protector on Infotainment screen; Thinkware F800PRO Dash Cam (front/rear); Ziebart interior fabric and leather protection package.
Image_1_zpsnjzzas78.jpg

Image_3_zpsszc1dsev.jpg

Image_2_zpsyve4jtdh.jpg

Image_4_zpszlq703gb.jpg

Image_5_zps0piklzpu.jpg

Image_6_zps694lcrgv.jpg

Image_7_zpsw5aeo2ok.jpg

Inspired by Jon's eh?

Very neat accents. The entertainment system is OEM?

Back