Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

What did you do to your 5th Gen today?

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by ibmike, March 17, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. mycbtech

mycbtech New Member

City, State:
    Sacramento, ca
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2019 Ford Explorer Sport
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mycbtech

mycbtech New Member

City, State:
    Sacramento, ca
    2019 Ford Explorer Sport
    id like to get the links :)

4. jonnoriega

jonnoriega Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Streamwood, IL
    2016 Ford Exp Platinum
    They're installed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mycbtech

mycbtech New Member

City, State:
    Sacramento, ca
    2019 Ford Explorer Sport
    oh good. i just ordered mine today with Unleashed Tune so should be a fun couple of weeks soon!

• Like Like x 1
  6. MM07

MM07 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MA
    2018 Explorer Limited
    • Like Like x 2
  7. jonnoriega

Media:
    City, State:
    Streamwood, IL
    2016 Ford Exp Platinum
    For those of you who care, here's my opinion I recently installed B6 Bilstein Shock Absorbers. I had it installed last Saturday and already put 968 miles on them immediately.
    • My XPL is on H&R Special Springs, LP. and over-all, I felt them a little less than I did with OEM. However, my OEM had over 94K on them but if I can re-call, my Bilstein's feel more "comfortable" then when I originally installed my lowering springs at 30K miles.
    • As for "bigger/major bumps" on regular roads and highways, my XPL feels like it "snaps" back into place rather than "loose" after going over a bump. My ride bounces less. I hope that makes sense?
    • As for road performance, I feel that my XPL handles even more responsive now especially around curves and turns and in changing lanes especially abruptly. It feel the same as when I first drove on the road with them and another thousand miles later. I'll be on the road again next week and will be putting on another 2K miles in 2 weeks and I'll give another brief review of them.
    • I have the Steeda Joseph sway bars installed as well but with the Bilstein shocks, the pairing is very nice.
    Overall, they're an investment but I feel that they were worth it so far. They give me a sense of security when I'm driving that my ride handles so well with as much driving as I do.
    I hope this helps someone. Please ask if you have more questions and I hope I can respond accordingly.
    fullsizeoutput_6d4b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_6d4d.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  8. BubbaG

BubbaG Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Hebbronville, TX
    2018 Explorer Sport
    Not gonna lie, for a vehicle that weighs 6k lbs + these X sports hold their own just fine lol. Definition of a sleeper if you ask me

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. QuietStorm17

QuietStorm17 Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Bowie, Maryland
    2017 Explorer XLT 4WD
    Hello jonnoriega, I care and appreciate and enjoy yours and any other forum member’s reviews and experiences with a new product and mod wether I’m interested in getting the product or not. I tend not to trust what most manufacturers say but I trust and value the Explorer forum members opinions. So keep spending your money so we can learn what works or doesn’t thoughh you! Glad your happy with your latest mods. I noticed you don’t have your Continental Extremes on anymore did you have a problem with them or did you wear them out with all the miles you drive?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. jonnoriega

Media:
    City, State:
    Streamwood, IL
    2016 Ford Exp Platinum
    Thanks you! The continental DWS were good but the tires wore out so fast. I was only able to get 25K on them. I got a small rebate and I put the balance into a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. So far they handle excellent especially in the rain but the true test will be in the snow this winter.

I’ve already got about 12K on these tires and they look like they are holding up very well. I read somewhere that our explorers are hard on tires and that the Pirelli’s are the ones that could take a beating everyday. We’ll see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. QuietStorm17

QuietStorm17 Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Bowie, Maryland
    2017 Explorer XLT 4WD
    I got 25k out of the oem hankookys, I was hoping to get more out of my Extreme Contacts. I don’t put all of the highway miles on that you do but I do some spirited driving on some curvy back roads, I guess I better slow it down a little and try to get some more miles out of these treads! I had read the same thing somewhere on here about our the explorer being hard on tires. Enjoy your roadtrip and watch out for those crazy drivers.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. RhinoQuartz

RhinoQuartz Elite Explorer

17 Explorer Base
    All seasons in winter are vastly inferior to winter tires, even half worn ones.

I feel like it's a shame to have them one for winter. If they're doing well for you in 3 season conditions, you could lengthen its useful life. And get a new set of wheels for winter :dunno:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tricon916

Tricon916 New Member

City, State:
    CA
    2017 F250 6.7L
    Installed new Velgen 20x10.5's on my Wife's ride, loving the look and handling improvements.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. DMG632

DMG632 Active Member

City, State:
    Seattle, WA
    2016 Explorer Sport
    Nice! Are those the bronze wheels?

Lower it and make your wife real happy :)

15. Tricon916

Tricon916 New Member

City, State:
    CA
    2017 F250 6.7L
    Yup, satin bronze, they're stunning IRL. I so want to lower it, but she's going to be towing her 4 seater RZR Pro 1000, so Im going to leave it for now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ryant35

Ryant35 New Member

City, State:
    Cypress
    2013 XLT
    I hardwired by Amazon Car Echo behind my dash into my switched dash cam power port. I bought a right angle micro USB cable and ran it over the top of the front console door and fished it behind the headlight switch where I stashed my power port.
    No more cord running around my center console and now the Echo turns off when I leave my car instead of staying connected to my phone when I'm in range.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ryant35

Ryant35 New Member

City, State:
    Cypress
    2013 XLT
    Did my front brakes this weekend, sloted, vented rotors and ceramic pads.
    Now the fronts finally match the back, and no more wobble when braking downhill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. RobbyAz

RobbyAz Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Phoenix, Az
    2015 Explorer Limited
    I was wondering if anyone here has swapped the trim pieces on either side of the center stack with ones from a platinum. I like the platinum trim a better then the silver in my Limited. I have found the pieces on Ebay for a reasonable price and was wondering if anyone else has done the swap and if so, how difficult/easy was it. Will appreciate any feed back. Thanks!

19. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    There is a video here somewhere that shows how to remove and replace the whole center stack but I have not been able to find it. I believe the side panels just pull off and snap on but I can't be sure.

Peter

20. RobbyAz

RobbyAz Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Phoenix, Az
    2015 Explorer Limited
    Thanks Peter,

Yeah, I looked all over trying to find something, searched the forum with "Center Stack," "Interior Trim," and a couple of others and came up with nothing. So I thought I would throw up a post and see if someone remembers. I'm going to keep looking. ;)

21. RobbyAz

RobbyAz Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Phoenix, Az
    2015 Explorer Limited
    I am with you on that Peter. I do not like smoked or painted taillights, especially here in the southwest. If you are behind a vehicle with smoked or painted lenses, and the sun is behind you (sun light is hitting the back of the vehicle in front of you), the taillights/brake lights are useless. You can't see them at all. Fortunately, most people don't bother to smoke or paint the third brake light, so at least you can tell when they are stopping, sometimes. I was following a black Chevy Tahoe one late afternoon that someone had use black film on all three rear facing lenses and they might as well as had no brake lights at all. I was going to get a picture, put the light changed before I could get the phone out of my pocket. I can not understand why someone would want to reduce the brightness of the light that lets other people know you're stopping just to look "cool." I like the factory lenses on the Sports, because they don't have any reduction in light output and you can clearing see when the brake has been applied. Sorry about the rant, but this is a pet peeve of mine.