FirefighterJose

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Middle Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT 4.0 4wd
EDIT:

I ditched the one I originally was looking at for a better option! See Page 2 for the other one I'm not looking at

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based on the pics and info, if it drives good its a steal. Around here it would be listed for at least $5500 with the miles. If not higher.

The miles arent that big of deal either, My last Expy had 205K and still kicking strong, the Mounty has 253500 and pretty peppy.

The 4.6 motor is a good motor. I've owned a 4.6 in my 97 thunderbird since it was brand new on the lot. Has roughly 18x,x.. miles now and still runs like a champ, has a little vibration to it but the mileage is getting up there. When I purchase vehicles I have a tendancy of trying to stay under the 150k miles mark, but thats just me. I bit the bullet about 2 months ago or so, and purchased a 2004 explorer XLT with 168k. Identical down to the T to yours same color and everything! 2 weeks into driving it the timing chains started rattling, and I am currently unable to drive it. As I've learned over the years, it's a bit of a toss up getting into high mileage vehicles because you don't really know how well the previous owner has cared for it mechanically. 3800 doesn't seem to be a bad price at all, it looks to be in excellent condition even has new tires!

It would be 40 out the door. Still a grand under kbb. And it's clean

It looks pretty good.
It's an XLT Sport which is also a plus.
An 03' because it's not the first model year of the generation.
I would try to get it for $3,500.00

He's soooo firm. 3800 plus tax was over 4100
But he said he could do 4100 put the door after taxes.

It has a rebuilt title but only a front bumper was replaced.
Don't think that's an issue.

I'm at the bank now but it'll be a few hrs before I get it.

I feel like it's a good deal. Not great but nara and kbb showed it worth 5500 according to the bank.

I think it's a good truck for the year and the price

wow. I was going to say steep but.

My 2002 Explorer 63K miles. Eddie Bauer, 4x4 4.6 V8 3rd row, premium sound, roof racks, sun roof, running boards. And garage kept Florida car owned by and old lady who parked it for several years after getting everything serviced by Ford then didn't like it. (It was her deceased husbands car). CLEAN TITLE

$5,800. Got down to $5,600 because 4x4 didn't work. Fixed A/C leak (leaking manifold), 4x4 (CM and actuator), all fluids, all filters. Total into it so far $7,300.

Well I'm not getting it today, probably sunday. So ill have a couple days to hunt down a better deal if there is one.
Guess we'll see.

Edit: The other one I found sold so no go.

Back to the silver one I posted about originally.

The rebuilt title changes things some, I would suggest further inspection, try to get any reports on it, etc. Maybe even take it to a body shop and have it checked out. They dont total these things for a bumper..... I hear that stuff all the time and its just not that simple. Plus they are tough trucks as it is, So I would put money on saying it had more than a bumper fixed.... Still sounds like a good deal, Its equipped nicely, looks great now. Personally I couldn't pay that much for it knowing it has a rebuilt brand on it without realllllllllly looking it over. So, that kinda justifies the price range on it. $4000 though seems really pushing it to me though. Drive it a few more times, Drive it how you plan to drive it. Open it up, take some curves, panic stops etc. Make sure its all solid and stops straight, etc. They may have done an excellent job fixing it, but the fact still remains that it had more than a bumper fixed and caused them to brand the title. If you are at all worried about resale value when you are done with it, Keep looking.

Yeah thats true.

I'm trying to look around and see what is available. How are the v6's? Or should I stick
with the v8.

It looks like I'll be taking the loan back and just closing it.
I'm having a hard time finding anything worth it.

I wouldn't give up on the search yet. Go ahead and drive the one you posted about. Drive it as long as they will let you. Drive it how you normally drive. Open it up a few times see how it reacts, etc. It could still be a good deal, I would just put it through the paces and really study it well.

The V6s arent horrible. I've had 2 and the last one I pulled and sold to go into another one. Pretty peppy for a 6 as long as the trans is right. I've pulled a little with both and its not bad, I pulled a ext cab f150 out of the mud with a trailer on it without much trouble at all. They do have timing chain tensioner rattles, (they all will do it) and thermostat housings are a joke, (replaced on both trucks) Fortunately, a member here has an aluminum housing they are making and selling now, which I plan to try if I keep the 4.0 much longer. Other than that, Im fairly happy with the 4.0 for what it is....

That being said, If possible, hold out for the V8. More torque and Hp, with pretty much same mileage. (providing you dont favor the go pedal more than you would normally in a 4.0 truck.) Dont get me wrong, The 4.0 will cruise 80 all day long with no issues, but for towing, passing, hauling lots of people, I would say V8 all day long. You get 5-7 people in this thing the V6 will whine like a baby trying to do any better than a granny drive. To be expected towing somethin large/heavy, but intended occupant capacity Im not too impressed. My current truck has 253500 miles with a 3 year old crate engine, your results may vary.

Whatever you do, Don't give up quick, and dont buy after a first drive.

Last thing--- Im a Chevy guy, so this should tell you something about these trucks and my "review". Although, I plan someday to throw a 6.0 or 6.2 Chevy into the Mounty or buy another one to do it to.....

The silver xlt i made the thread about is 2hrs away and I haven't even seen it I'm person yet...

My Mounty was 2 hours away also. Dont give up yet.

I was actually able to find the wrecked photo of it by googling the vin...

Doesn't look all that bad.

17859234_1X.JPG

17859234_2X.JPG

http://www.esciudad.com/autos/ford/explorer/14160125

Given the miles i'd say that's not a bad deal. Even the damage doesn't look bad at all. As long as it drives fine and doesn't have any crazy leaks, and the 4x4 works I would buy it at that price. Rebuilt title is a little odd for minor damage like that though just make sure you drive it as much as you can and check as much as you can before deciding

yeah going back and looking it might not be the wrecked photo.... theres nothing broke except maybe the grill in it....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, I think I just found the explorer I'll be picking up...

Please check it out.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4673327498.html

2002, v8, 2wd XLT
It only has 95,000 miles!
Leather, Pretty clean aside from the dumb wheels.
Clean title!
And he isn't firm on the 4k, he said he'd take less!

If I could pick it up for say 3600 I think it's a go. Even if it's 2wd. Right?
Or should I hold out for a 4wd. The positives are that its v8, and under 100k miles.....
No 4x4 is only think missing...

Back