What do you think about this XLT? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you think about this XLT?

It's 2wd. And I checked the over drive and it didn't flash...

Well price is back up to 3200. Kid claims he was mistaken on what his mom said he could sell it for bottom dollar. I won't let it get away over 200. Just sucks
after agreeing to 3000.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well...

She owner said she can't sell the car until Oct. 14th when she gets back in town
because it leaves her son without something to drive to school....
That an unexpected work issue arose and she has to leave town. She's a lawyer.

I don't really have a choice, it's not my car... So we'll see if she keeps her word.

If not then oh well.

oh man there is always a catch! Good luck! Keep us updated!

Of course, advice is worth no more than you pay for it, so I'm not offering any advice here ... but having bought and sold about as many cars as you might expect over the past 50 years, if it were I, I'd thank them and walk away at this point. Either of two things will happen, and either way, I won't be kicking myself later for leaving money on the table.

That chrome is peel and stick (Link)
They should peel off, probably will need a heat gun to loosen.

JoeinNY: Will do, I don't expect any fowl play here

jmsn4vu: If it's not and your not going to leave any advice, why bother leaving something negative. :Shakes head:
Welcome to 2014, a lot of nice people in this thread have given me advice worth more than the $0.00 I've paid. Appreciate it.

Explorero4: I'll check on that chrome being a decal, thanks. I know the buttons on the keyless intry
pad are worn so I'll have to get that from the junkyard anyway.
^^Look, Advice worth more than the $0.00 I paid! Nice! Thanks!

On another note,
I didn't look to see if it had puddle lights, if it doesn't I'll want to install those.

I would suggest you keep looking for another Ex in the meantime. You never know :)

^^^^^^

very true! I was almost done for the night when I found mine. Posted at 8pm didn't show up till around 10:30 pm monday night. Tuesday guy was getting offers left and right, but no one could come out and look at it. Tuesday night I almost lost as someone went to test drive it. Wednesday my uncle got there in the morning and test drove it to find no A/C or 4x4. Guy refused to budge and put back in the garage, my uncle fought some more, guy took off $200. I had already been searching for 3 MONTHS, found several hits but ended up being duds... I found mine and had to move quick!

I'll keep looking but it's ridiculous, every 3rd gen explorer for under 4500 has almost 200k miles.

So I can't help but look and research and start a list of things I'm going to do once I
pick up this explorer, or another. Eitherway the list is pretty much the same.

First, Preventative Maintenance

OilChange/OilFilter
Fuel Filter
Transmission Fluid/Flush
Transmission Filter
Transmission Pan Gasket
Rear Differential Fluid flush/Change
Engine Spark Plugs
Engine Air Filter
Cabin Air Filter

As far as projects are concerned....

-Bi-Xenon Retrofit in the headlights. (Did my wifes and it was a great success)
-Install and wire Rapid Charge (2.1Amp) USB Ports, 2 for front and 2 for the rear seats occupants. My Phone's "rapid charger" is 2.1 amp (Galaxy S4).
-Puddle Lights if it doesn't have em, including LED strips under the running boards
to assist in lighting the ground. Not stupid underglow lights...
-Large Curved LED Bar at top of windshield. Might make my own mounts, we'll see.
-Front Brush Guard, but not one that covers the headlights rendering the Bi-Xenon retrofit useless.... But large enough to hold an additional LED bar like my 23" I already own.
-Swap all interior lights to LED (True White, Not damn blue bs)
-Swap rear 3rd brake light to cree led's
-Swap rear tails for LED or custom fab some led tails... We'll see.
-Mountineer cluster swap with led bulbs replacing the halogen bulbs.
-Probably a ScanGuageII to monitor basic vehicle data like detailed oil pressure, engine temp, mpg, throttle percentage etc....
-Maybe install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge just as a back up monitor. Playing it too safe? I also considered a transmission temp and diff temp gauges.

As you can tell, I like my features and toys.

Sounds good, but I wouldn't flush the trans. Usually causes more problems than it helps, plus the mileage is low enough, It shouldn't have crap built up to "need" a flush. Either way, trans flush usually cost more than the price of the flush....

Sucks you have to wait on it. Keep us updated.

I do all my own mechanic work so I won't be taking anything to a shop.

jmsn4vu: If it's not and your not going to leave any advice, why bother leaving something negative. :Shakes head:
Welcome to 2014, a lot of nice people in this thread have given me advice worth more than the $0.00 I've paid.
Only giving you the benefit of 50 years of car buying experience, nothing more, nothing less. I try not to give strategic or tactical advice because I've lived long enough to know it's a bad idea.

Your mention of all the 3rd gens under $4,500 with 200k miles rings a bell. I've just been through the process. Finally picked up a 2005 Mountaineer with 161,000 miles, brand new tires, all fluids clean-looking, ALL SERVICE RECORDS, cosmetically almost new for $4,300. I rejected quite a few "almost" cars in the process.

The good ones are out there, but finding the "no compromises" one is tedious. Hang in there.

I bought mine for $5600.
After all the maintenance and new tires +$1400
New A/C Manifold and R134a +$125
Front license plate bracket +$25
Registration +$500

So far into my $5600 explorer = $7,700!

Yeah, I know with a lot of hunting I might find something better but for 3200 and 96,000 miles, cleanest interior, cleanest undercarriage, cleanest exterior I've found out of all the cars I still feel like it's a good deal.
Only thing lacking is 4x4. But I've only always owned cars so I don't think it's a deal breaker.

Thanks. I'll continue looking until it's time to pick this one up

You can scratch the transmission pan gasket, they are reusable.

Do all xlt's have puddle lights in the mirrors?

I bought mine for $5600.
After all the maintenance and new tires +$1400
New A/C Manifold and R134a +$125
Front license plate bracket +$25
Registration +$500
So far into my $5600 explorer = $7,700!

Joe, just curious here because I live in New York State as you. Why did registering your vehicle in New York State cost you $500? If you bought your Ex from a dealership, they generally charge you a registration fee which is nothing more than them submitting the registration paperwork to DMV and transferring your old license plates to the new vehicle you bought from them (aka the lot boy unscrewing your old plates from your previous vehicle and attaching the plates to the new one). This dealership registration/plate transfer fee is usually around $75 + the vehicle registration fee to DMV, which amounts to the pro-rated time left on your current 2 year registration/plates at the time of purchase. My full 2 year state registration fee on my Ex is $98. Where did they get $500 from?

Probably like here. If used from a private seller, you pay the tax when you register.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought private. Paid half in FL, the other half here. But I had to buy new plates as I was not transferring plates. The tax rate is still 8%. So after registration and fees paid to NY it was around $500...

Back