what do you think of the 2002 explorer? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what do you think of the 2002 explorer?

what do you think of the 2002 explorer?

• i like it!

Votes: 154 53.8%
  • i think ford messed up:(

Votes: 132 46.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the 4 door is retarted but the 2dr looks ok

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like the 96-97 taurus, it grew on some people but the rest would keep on hating it. I think that they've done good things with the 4.0 and adding the IRS.

2002 XLT V8 Test Drive...

I was not impressed! Even my poorly running 94 performs as well as the 2002 I test drove. I don't think a V8 with that much horsepower should stand still for a moment before moving when I press the gas petal halfway down!!! I expect much more! Let me take you for a tour...press gas firmly...hear loud engine noise...then wheels slowly start rolling!!! I'm thinkin the parking brake must have been on LOL!

Maybe it's a mid-life...I want push me back into my seat power!!!

SpeedSter240EFI
Rj

I drove 1 the other day and was not impressed! I'd much rather be driving my fathers 99.:hammer:

This is a new design for Ford and some people will like it. I don't like the molded bumpers on the new ones.

I escpecially like the 98 era when they looked normal

I think Ford had a good Idea (IFS) (IRS) to start but...ran over budget and started applying the festiva interior..
When I test drove one a few weeks ago it looked good on the outside..........but driving it seemed so.....so....
cheap.........

It rides like a Lincoln but feels like a festiva..

I guess Soccer mom's everywhere are rejoyc'in
" A Wagon with a Name "

Click here for my thoughts on the 2002 Explorer 4dr Dead Link Removed

I like the idea for an independent rear-suspension, but besides that I don't care for them a whole lot. I was behind one today, that had smoke pouring out of it, and i couldn't even tell where it was coming from. I know i am never going to buy another Explorer or another Ford truthfully, because they have both been pretty rotton to me. I have problems constantly with my '97 and not only that Ford has been no help what so ever. I now refuse to allow myself to go through the dissapointment again, and i would rather throw my money away then let the losers at Ford benefit from my earnings. I am going to have fun with my X while it lasts and after that, I will be moving on to something a little different.

Well, three weeks and 2,000 miles into the relationship with mine I'm very satisfied. Rides great, good power (V-8), good sound system. I've not yet had an opportunity to engage the 4X4.

My only ***** is how easy the front end of the hood seems to get dinged by rocks/bugs on the highway. (I've already touched up three small nicks.)

I'm in the process of getting either an Auto Ventshade Hoodflector or Bugflector II to take care of that issue.

Other than that, no complaints. (Well, I guess I could wish for better than 16.2 mpg average. ;))

:cool: We just bought an '02 10 days ago. We had been looking at new SUV's for about a month and half. At first she like the Trailblazer but when I found out the front axle passed thru the oil pan of the engine, I said no way. Then Ford started the $2K rebate program a few weeks back and it was stackable with the X-Plan price and we started searching the net for just the right one. We found an XLS 4wd with the Sport group and automatic, that was it, a no frills vehicle. She liked the tube step and no plastic strips at the bottoms of the doors better than the XLT. Anymore plastic on the XLT and you almost have an Avalanche. Anyway so far we like it. So for $23,300 plus destination ,tax and tag I think we got a pretty good deal. For some reason they let us have it A-Plan price, which saved about $500, I have no idea why because we told them we were on the X-Plan. Heck I paid $18K for my 91 in 91.

I agree and she does too that the early X's like my 91 still have a better look too them. I can clean my 91 up and still get looks. We both agreed that if we could buy a 91 new today we'd do it. So far it, the 91, has been the best vehicle I've ever owned.

What reraly sucks is they have done the same thing to the 2003 Expedition. 4 Wheel is and it looks like the Ex only bigger. I hate to say the "J' word but sign me up for one of the TJ Rubicon editions. Front and rear DANA 44's air lockers fornt and rear, and 31 Goodyear MTR's!

Looks like I'm keeping the '97 Mountaineer for a while. Seems as if Ford no long makes an SUV for us 1%ers who may actually use our SUV for other than transporting people and trying to look cool. Unless the SUV market turns around to being real trucks again, my next new vehicle may be an F-150.

Of course, since I still like the my Mountaineer, I may buy a '90-93 F-150 4x4 SWB Regular Cab 351W, if I can find one and if I get a good job offer by the time that I graduate in May, so that I can have a truck for off-roading, hauling big loads, and hunting while the Mountaineer is reliable daily transportation. I just love that 302. :)

The Rubicon TJ is the ultimate factory off road vehicle! If i was going to buy new and loved off roading(and i do!) then this would be my next! The 96' X would still have its spot in the driveway though!!

Well, I'll just say I'm not a big fan. Is that enough of a comment?

I think the motive behind the 4wis is the "roll over" problem explorers have. I think they did it so its more car like and give the image that its more stable. I dont percieve any roll over problem with these trucks out of the 1 million plus vehicles manufactured how many rolled? 80? 100? The recommended tire pressure was so low when some dumbass hit something hard and pinchflatted then slammed on the brakes anything is gonna roll. It bothers me that these stupid people out there complain to car companies about percieved problems and they go and F**k up good vehicles. No more Broncos no more blazers no more midsized trucks/suvs with solid front axles. Well except for jeeps but the new liberty has ifs which has me wondering about jeep. These damn soccermommies who want a smooth ride in thier big trucks have gone and messed up trucks as I (we?) think of them. If you want something to ride like a car buy a car! dont buy a truck just because you want a truck. Buy a truck so you can do something worthwhile with it.

Put me down for a definite YES...

MY 2002 X rides great, handles just fine - gas mileage is fine and the deal on it was superb...list 27,850...drove out at 22,900. Still have my 93 XLT with 167,000 miles too. No comparison between the two trucks.

I shall reply on this later, but hopefully by tomorrow, I'll know how they actually drive...
Gonna check out the Ps new sploder
Pete

Why not just buy a minivan? Looks like one, drives like one, acts like one.

I think the front end looks killer! I love the look of all the new Ford "trucks" from the front but I really do think Ford bit the big one with the new Ex.

The new Expedition on the other hand is a wicked truck, even though it;s more car then truck, still nice! The Ex.....yuk!!! It should be called Windstar II not Explorer.......

If they wanna be like everybody else, go for it. Nobody builds them like they used to and they probably never will again.............Now that Ex concept buggy they built made the vcover of 4x4 magazines, tire ad's, and all the reviews were like "WOW!" What about those people? You think they want rear independent suspension on everything? They cant ignore us forever..........

It will be interesting to see what they do next........

Originally posted by 410Fortune
....Now that Ex concept buggy they built made the vcover of 4x4 magazines, tire ad's, and all the reviews were like "WOW!"

if only Ford decided to produce it. i would definitely buy one.
Who gets to keep the EX concepts that they did build?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it will tour arond for a few years while it gets tested and photographed, then it usually ends up in a warehouse with the rest of the concepts, SVT keeps most of them locked up tight I believe.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back