Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

What does it mean by "running lean" ?

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by haktmal, September 16, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. haktmal

haktmal Active Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Sport OHV
      After installing my PowerStack air filter, I receive a Check Engine light. So I took it to Autozone to have the staff run the scanner up.

It came out to be a 171 and 174 code. And these codes reads that I'm running lean. The staff there then recommends me to pour some injector cleaners and said that my injectors and pouring out more air and fuel so I might have terrible gas mileage. Turns out that I DO have terrible gas mileage after that Engine Check light.

How do I fix this? Is it just by pouring the injector cleaners?

Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      running lean means you have less than the ideal amount of fuel proportional to the air. They are right that the problem may lie in your injectors. If they're dirty, they may not flow enough fuel to burn with the incoming air. Running a bottle of cleaner is a good start.

Also, did you reset your computer when you installed the filter? If not, the computer doesn't know to supply more fuel to the motor.

4. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Nope, by re-setting the computer.

Any time you install something aftermarket, replace a sensor, or change anything you need to reset the computer. You see the problem is you are now getting a ton more air into the intake but you never told the computer you changed anything, so it is still thinking you have the factory intake.

Unhook the - battery cable for 5 minutes, hook it back up and then start her up. You will notice a high idle, take it for a nice 20 minute drive so it can "re-learn" the signals from your sensors. Basically it makes it think it is a new truck, it will run in default mode until it gets enough input from you and your environment. This allows the air/fuel/spark to be adjusted based on your particular driving style and conditions.

Any time you clean, replace, or bolt something on you need to reset the computer.

5. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Kelseyville, CA
      '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
      It means you are letting unmetered air into your engine. In other words you have an air leak between the MAF and the engine block. Since you just replaced the air filter start with the intake hose and all connections. Leaking intake manifold gaskets will also cause the two codes but since you messed with the air filter, that is where I would start.

6. haktmal

haktmal Active Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      98 Sport OHV
      Thanks for all your replies.

I did reset the computer. I left it off for 30 minutes indeed. But I also remove that black knob on the IAC. Then I start her up. It did have a rough idle and I drove around for 20 minutes. But after then, the Check-Engine light lights up again.

I don't know what to do? Does removing the black knob on the IAC has anything to do with it? I was having some humming noise when I turn the AC and I read that removing the black knob eliminates the noise.

7. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      You need to clean or replace your IAC.

removing the black knob will do nothing for you.