What does this Ground Wire go to?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What does this Ground Wire go to??

CamDJClimited

Reaction score
City, State
Southampton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Limite
This is the ground wire that is grounded to the left of the windshield wiper motor. What is it connected to? My car won't start because it looks like it caught fire? Or melted a little bit, so I need to replace it, but I have NO idea where it goes. Can anyone out there tell me? It's on a 1996 Explorer Limited V8.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My best guess is it goes to the engine block. I just went out and looked at mine (96XLT 4.0). You are talking about the braided wire? I can't see the end, but probably to the block or starter. Make yourself a jumper wire from the block to the body or even to the battery. See if that helps your problem.

My best guess is it goes to the engine block. I just went out and looked at mine (96XLT 4.0). You are talking about the braided wire? I can't see the end, but probably to the block or starter. Make yourself a jumper wire from the block to the body or even to the battery. See if that helps your problem.

http://fortuneelevatorconsultants.com/98v8/enginewire.jpg

Look in that picture. You see the black wire immediately to the left of the windshield wiper motor? It's kind of like a literally flat black ground wire. I've gotta find it by tonight! I can't drive :(

that wire goes to a bolt on the lower intake.

DSC00608_Medium_.jpg

Did you make a jumper from the block to the body/battery?

I made a jumper. I ran it from one of the bolts on the upper intake manifold to the same spot where the original ground was. It didn't work :( Any other ideas?? This is really starting to drive me insane!!

What was on fire? That wire should be a ground wire to ground the body via the engine. The main ground for the vehicle should be the negative battery cable attached to the engine. Be sure the negative cable is not corroded and clean and tight on both ends.

What was on fire? That wire should be a ground wire to ground the body via the engine. The main ground for the vehicle should be the negative battery cable attached to the engine. Be sure the negative cable is not corroded and clean and tight on both ends.

The ground cable was burned, cracked and was smoking

I doubt the upper manifold goes to ground. Check to see if it is plastic. Attach the jumper wire to any bolt on the engine that does not go into plastic. Use the A/C mounting bolt for instance.Which ground wire was burned?Areyou talking about the battery ground wire? You sound like you are getting rattled, calm down a bit and think about what you are doing.

if the wire you're talking about is a ground wire, the only reason it would get burned/melted is if was making a poor connection to begin with. I'd replace all or as much of it as possible with a piece of wire of the same gauge, make sure you solder or crimp the connections very well and if there is any doubt about what to attach it to, you can't do better than the negative terminal of the battery.

Back