1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

What Exactly is HDTV-Ready?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Robb, December 15, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

I can't believe I am having such a hard time finding the answer to this simple question through Google. :rolleyes:

My big screen is hdtv-ready, not hdtv. I wasn't too concerned with hdtv when I bought the tv a couple of years ago, but I am getting a little more interested. I thought when I bought it that all I had to do was add on some sort of hdtv receiver, and I would be set. Am I way off here? What kind of receiver? Would this be something I would need integrated into my sat receiver, or something in my audio/video receiver/amp?

Just wondering because my dvd player has finally decided to die (after about 5-6 years), and I thought that I was picking one of those up, I would look into replacing my (even older) amp/receiver. Do I need to be looking into some sort of hdtv amp/receiver?

TIA

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TSTONE

TSTONE Giddy up! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland County, MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 Mountaineer
      hdtv ready means it's ready for some type of a set top box.

what kind of satelite do you have?

4. Skibug

Skibug Active Member

City, State:
      Pensacola, FL
      96 Sport 4x4
      No you are right. With a HDTV ready tv, the tv is able to recieve a HDTV signal, but needs a HDTV reciever to send it the signal. With an actual HDTV, it has a built in HDTV tuner and does not need a outside reciever. Here's the kicker though. Most cable companies and satellite providers code their HDTV signal and you have to buy or rent their receiver to decode the signal. So unless you want to recieve over the air HDTV via an antenna it is pointless to buy a HDTV with a built in tuner.

A HDTV reciever has nothing to do with your DVD player or your A/V reciever. It is something totally seperate that you get yourself or from your service provider.

Here is a forum/site that I belong to that has a wealth of information regarding Home theater and anything of the sort.

Home Theater Forum

Go there and do some searches and you will be amazed at the amount of information that you get.

5. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

DirecTv with a Hughes Tivo receiver.

I think I kinda found my answer. It looks like Hughes makes HDTV receivers, so I am thinking the hd tuning part of it needs to be integrated into the sat receiver. Sound about right? The one I have doesn't have hdtv. :(

I am just starting to look into amp/receivers right now. Can I get one of them with the ability to produce a hd signal?

EDIT: Skibug wrote before I did. Thanks for the info, I will look into it in the future. :) Least now, I can go get a a/v receiver without having to worry about it. Thanks!!

6. Nate1

Nate1 All 4 wheels locked

City, State:
      Gainesville/Tampa, FL
      '96 FZJ-80
      HDTV ready basically only means your set doesn't have an OTA HDTV reciever anyways, so even if it was "ready", your usage of the reciever that it had onboard would probably me minimal.

7. Skibug

Skibug Active Member

City, State:
      Pensacola, FL
      96 Sport 4x4
      You will have to get a HDTV satellite reciever from Direct TV in order to get their HDTV signal and pay an additional fee for the HDTV service as well. Contact Direct TV to find out what it will cost you to get HDTV.

8. Derrick C.

Derrick C. Moderator Drinkin Corona Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Twin Falls, Idaho---------B.F.E.
      91 XLT, 92 XL
      Don't forget to ask about how many channels they have in HDTV. I spent like $2K last christmas to get my girlfriend a wide screen TV with HDTV to only find out that my local digital cable company only has 3 channels that are HDTV. I still got it cause 2 of them were ESPN channels. :) Not really sure how it'll work with satilite though.

9. mctoy

mctoy Active Member

I read somewhere recently that ALL tv channels were going to HDTV in 2006, and that everybody would have to either rent a box from the local service to add to your HDTV 'ready' set, or buy a set that had the tuner/reciever.....Has something to do with the band width being much smaller for HDTV. Apparently (Wide) analog signals are 'plugging up' the air ways.....A cure for the ozone hole? ;)
      MCTOY

10. Stephen

Stephen Moderator In Memoriam Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
      Annapolis, MD
      '97 Limited
      There's a lot of speculation as to just whats going to happen with cable and switching to HDTV come 2006/2007. Some say everything will be HD including broadcast, some say all cable will be HD and broadcast will remain analog etc. Thats my guess.

Anyways you can either get an HD box from DirecTV or get an HD tuner so you can pick up HD broadcasts free of charge. I dont know how it works for the dish as I have Cable but I rent the box for $5 extra over standard digital cable. You get a myriad of stations, INHD 1 and 2, Discovery HD theatre, ESPN HD local sports HD, all your local stations in HD (Only some shows are filmed widescreen) the HD versions of any movie channels you subscribe to (HBO etc). You'll love HD and hate to watch analog channels, I hardly ever do now. I've had HD for a while but the REAL impressive picture comes on a CRT tube, plasma, LCD, or DLP projection TV. I have the big 55inch plasma in my den I bought a while back and just recently bought a sony 34" widescreen HD CRT tube for the bedroom.

11. X~FACTOR

X~FACTOR Name is Ray

City, State:
      Valley Stream, Long Island
      '97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
      Around my area CableVision has the most HD channels. A whopping 20 or so channels compared to less than half of that for DirectTV. More channels will be added in the future. That's what they're advertising to get people to switch.