• Register Today It's free!

What exhaust sounds best.

coolerpooler

Reaction score
City, State
Martinez,Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
I have a '94 Explorer with the 4.0 V6. I want to get an exhaust system done this is what i am thinking super 40's from flowmaster and a high flow cat or no cat at all. What do you think sounds the best.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 2.50'' cat bak flowmaster super 40 on my 89 2.9 & everyone think its a V8

Martinez, GA? Are you serious? Dude, I've lived a few different places over there... Springlakes, Birchtree Drive off of Flowing Wells, my Mom's house is over by the Wal-Mart in Evans. Glad to have ya here!!

As for exhaust, I can tell you right now, you need to have the work done by Eddie's Muffler off of Peach Orchard Road. He does EXCELLENT work, any knowledgeable person about exhaust will send you there.

I have a Flowmaster 40 Series on mine, with the stock cats, and 2 inch piping from the cat all the way back. But I'd probably recommend at least 2.25" for more volume.

yeah i am definently going to Eddies I have a lot of friends that have been there and they say he is great along with other peole i have asked.

REUNION! Yay. haha
I have no clue what size pipes are on mine, but I'm pretty sure I have a thrush muffler on there. Sounds BA! Mine sounds the best out of all the truck I wheel with. And there's a wide mix, from Wranglers, to Tacomas, to Titans! Ok, the titan sounds more aggressive when he's accelerating, but on the trails, mine does. Sounds huge.

How do you measure to see what size pipes you have? I want at least 2.25" and would also like to get a high flow cat! I failed emissions in my home town of cumming GA because of the cats. I'm TN now and moving soon to NC I don't have to have emissions. So either no cat, which I doubt since I want my passenger to still have ears, or high flow cat. Any recommendations for cats!

forsyth county laws are stupid aren't they... lucky for me hall county is not that way ...yet :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind having single inlet and dual exits on mine! Exiting just behind the rear tires on both sides.

forsyth county laws are stupid aren't they... lucky for me hall county is not that way ...yet :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:Glad someone understands! I know guys in Fulton county that wont come up past exit 12-13 on 400 because they would get a ticket because of stuff that's fine, but Forsyth want's their own rules! Lame:mad:

robmurt04 what size pipes and cat are you running?

robmurt04 what size pipes and cat are you running?

1994 Ford Explorer
4.0 OHV V6
Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust
Super 40 Muffler, 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlet
2-1/4" Flowmaster Pipes welded from cat. to 3" inlet
2-1/2" Flowmaster Pipes out

This is from one of his other videos on Youtube, I think the only difference may be the tips? Might want to clarify. Also, I wouldn't think it'd matter if it's Flowmaster pipes, as long as it's made for exhaust it should work just as well.

i have 3 inch dual exhaust into 40 series flowmaster with 4inch stainless steel chrome tips sounds like everyone thinks its a v8 i dont show whats under the hood and they cant tell the difference and i have no cat. i wish i did so i could get rid of raw gas smell

I've got a flowmaster mounted farther back and a turn down just in front of the rear axle. Being farther back reduces the drone you hear inside. It sounds great at idle and pulling under load, but kinda ricey at times.

1994 Ford Explorer
4.0 OHV V6
Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust
Super 40 Muffler, 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlet
2-1/4" Flowmaster Pipes welded from cat. to 3" inlet
2-1/2" Flowmaster Pipes out

This is from one of his other videos on Youtube, I think the only difference may be the tips? Might want to clarify. Also, I wouldn't think it'd matter if it's Flowmaster pipes, as long as it's made for exhaust it should work just as well.

Yep that's correct. Yeah I don't think the pipes matter at all, just felt like putting it haha. The only difference between how it was before and how it is now is that its moved from outside the shocks to inside the shocks and then added 18" Long 3" Wide tips. I think I may have added the open-element intake w/ 3" MAF to TB tube after the first video also. I honestly think it made a h*ll of a difference.

I'll be adding Magna-Flow Hi-Flow Cat & (JBA or Borla) Headers eventually, donig gears first.

Yep that's correct. Yeah I don't think the pipes matter at all, just felt like putting it haha. The only difference between how it was before and how it is now is that its moved from outside the shocks to inside the shocks and then added 18" Long 3" Wide tips. I think I may have added the open-element intake w/ 3" MAF to TB tube after the first video also. I honestly think it made a h*ll of a difference.

I'll be adding Magna-Flow Hi-Flow Cat & (JBA or Borla) Headers eventually, donig gears first.

Yeah. I'm asking my Grandparents for headers this christmas, lol

Yeah. I'm asking my Grandparents for headers this christmas, lol

Haha that's the way to go :thumbsup:

If I don't get gears by then I'm either gonna ask for them or headers :thumbsup:

Or maybe the Kennesaw winch bumper *insert smily face drooling here*

I dare not ask for that for Christmas, cause I know I wouldn't get it!

Haha that's the way to go :thumbsup:

If I don't get gears by then I'm either gonna ask for them or headers :thumbsup:

Or maybe the Kennesaw winch bumper *insert smily face drooling here*

Good luck on that one! It's $600!

Good luck on that one! It's $600!

Well if you think about it so are gears & the JBA or Borla headers. (They're actually more then the bumber!) Granted, I would probably have to pay about half but still. Haha, I guess I'll see what I have done by then.

EDIT:
To bring it back on topic, I think if I got the headers for christmas it would make the exhaust sound deeper & really help open it up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, thats true

Back