1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

What Fluid To Use

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by RojoBlanco, June 13, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RojoBlanco

RojoBlanco New Member

City, State:
      AZ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96, 94 Ex, 01 Mtn
      I have a 96 Explorer with automatic and 4 wheel drive. The manual specifies Mercon in the transfer case. Since oem Mercon is no longer available from Ford, what should I use? The label on Mercon V fluid that is now available from Ford clearly states not to use it in the transfer case. What do the site members have to say? I prefer Ford fluids but I'll use aftermarket if I know for sure which one is correct. Thanks. David.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Epyon969

Epyon969 New Member

1995 Explorer
      Transfer case fluid is Motorcraft part number XL-12. Sold in quart size

4. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      You can just use universal Dex/Merc III (or whatever it called these days) in the t-case.

5. Redmanss

Redmanss New Member

City, State:
      Wyoming
      '97 Exp Sport 4WD 4.0 OHV
      I'm running Valvoline's full syn version that's equivalent to Mercon/XL-12: Valvoline™ Multi-Vehicle Transfer Case Fluid : Product Catalog - Valvoline™ I couldn't find XL-12 in my small town and didn't want to pay $14/bottle from Amazon or drive the 80 miles to the city just for fluid, so I got the Valvoline for $10/bottle from the local Napa.

Biggest thing is DO NOT run Merc V type fluids, it is well known to damage T-cases

6. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Dexron III was always sold as Dexron III/Mercon, that applied to all Mercon applications. The Dexron III is still available, and most say it's usable for Mercon needs. I have some of the old stuff that I use for the transfer cases.

It still only costs about $5 for a quart of Dexron III at any parts store.