1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

what is the BEST mag mount for a 2'' firestik II?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by coolchris, September 22, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1996 xlt
      what is the BEST mag mount for a 2' firestik II?

ive got the cb, just need to set up the antenna and im pretty set on a 2' firestik II but i just want to know what the best mag mount for this antenna would be. i want a mount that will keep the antenna on the car. i will have a spring on there too.

Last edited: September 22, 2002
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Dana Point, CA
      '93 XLT
      Best MAg Mount

Chris,

I assume you mean a 2'firestrick, not a 2" one. 2 inches isn't good for much of anything :D

I can't tell you the absolutely best MM for your application, but I can reccommend someone who can.

Since you also live in O.C., check out a CB / Land Mobile radio shop over in Orange: The Solder Joint on N. Tustin Ave, at Mayfair, I think. Anyhow you can spot them by the large beam Antenna on the roof, they're on the West side of Tustin Ave. The guys over there will steer you right.

4. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      haha yea i meant 2' not 2 inches...

and i already checked out the solder joint. i was warned by some other guys that the workers at the solder joint can be dicks and my expierence wasent too different. first off they were out of firesticks so the guy was trying to sell me on a huge whip antenna ( i didnt and dont want a big whip). when i told him i didnt want his whip and i wanted a firestick his attitude changed and he started to get kinda mean. i told him i was looking for a mag mount, not a permanent mount that i would have to drill through the roof for and he just got meaner, he told me that a mag mount WILL fall off no matter what on teh trail and also that a mag mount with the firestik would get horrible reception and he quickly became of no help so i left with nothing.

know of anywhere else where i can talk to some nice guys about cb stuff?

5. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Dana Point, CA
      '93 XLT
      Solder Joint

Chris,

OH OH, well, sorry bout that! :(

I'm betting you didn't get Mark, the owner. That's who I usually try to deal with, also a tech named Chris. I haven't been in there for probably 5 years, or so. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I don't really know of any other local CB shops, but you might try a place over in Anaheim, at 933 N.Euclid Ave., N of the 5 Fwy, Just S. of La Palma Ave., on the West side, called HRO. Same deal, Look for the huge antennas on the roof. It's a Ham Radio place (HRO stands for Ham Radio Outlet), so you might get a little bit of "tude" as well, as many Hams don't really care for CB'ers, But....
      I'd ask for Terry, or Dale, tell them that a ham friend (Ray, AE6H) reccomended them, and what you need. They should steer you straight. Just one caveat: ham gear tends to be a little more expensive than CB stuff, but it's also generally higher quality, and Heavy Duty.

They carry a line of antenna mounts that use the standard 3/8" thread, and is called "Iron Horse" brand. Also Hustler has a universal 5" Magmount.

Check it out, and let me know what's up!

6. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      ok, thanks a lot ray!

anyone else have any mag-mount suggestions?

7. Josh S.

Josh S. can't kick the habit Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Seabeck, WA
      '93 sport 4x4
      yo-what cb did you get?? Thats funny that the same sh!t happened to you in there. haha, anyways, if by mag mount, does that mean magnetic? If so, you could still go with the magnetic mount, just tie-wrap it right in front of your stock roof-rack rail like Ron does. By the way, if you did this, the spring might not do a whole lot because it would be strapped to the rack rail. But, if you also got a quick-disconnect like I have(remember?) then put the spring on top of that, then the antenna on top of that, then the spring would be able to function, and you could disconnect it to go in a garage, or if you're in the ghetto. Nobody would steal the mag-mount either if the antenna's off of it cuz they wouldn't even see it.

8. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      ok yea i remember the quick disconnect. that sounds like a good plan... do you have any suggestions on what model magnet mount i should get?

9. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      oh and for the cb i got the cobra 75 wx st (the one where all the cb stuff is in the mic) i saw pics of dave's (digger196) set up with that cb and i really liked it so i decided to go that same way.

im also getting small cobra 18 dx III to put in the armrest and use for the PA option because the first cb dosent have the PA option.

10. Digger196

Digger196 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Winston-Salem, NC
      98 Cherokee
      K-40

Glad ya went w/ the CB like i have. Mine rocks!

11. Josh S.

City, State:
      Seabeck, WA
      '93 sport 4x4
      That sounds cool man...as for the suggestions, I guess like digger said, k40. They're supposed to be a good brand. Personally, I prefer a hardmount setup rather than the magnet action. I don't really like the look of a big white magnet on my roof, and wouldn't really like to trust a magnet, even if they are really strong. I understand you don't want to drill through the roof...neither did I, so I just forked out 400 for a rack and put it on there.

12. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      ya im looking into the k-40's thanks (hopefully black not white :) )

on a side note... i just went over to check out "the baja shop" off of chapman in orange.... there was a sick 1st generation explorer out front. it was silver with a 2nd generation front end fiberglass conversion with custom i-beams and a buncha suspension stuff with king coils and everything. he also had a full roll cage inside. i left a note on his window to check out this site... hopefully well hear from him soon :)

13. Josh S.

City, State:
      Seabeck, WA
      '93 sport 4x4
      damn! that sounds pretty phat. I was actually thinking about them the other day when I drove down that street. I think I'll go in there and talk to them soon about my truck. Isn't it off batavia? I haven't been there for a long time? Was it open when you went?

14. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      its off of cypress right before the circle. ya it was open when i went there... they have some amazing trucks in there that they are working on and they ahve a few race trucks for sale outside, on old ranger that looked pretty sweet, and one newer ranger that still had pretty much stock suspension just like mine is currently.

15. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Boston Area
      2003 Ranger Edge
      coolchriscush,
      Why are you thinking of a fiberglass antenna?

Have you considered a Wilson 1000 magnet mount ?

The Wilson or K40 has stainless steel whips, a little longer than 2 FEET but it would be less of a drag on the magnet mount and it would stay in place a little better; proably take the trail ride a ilttle beter too.

Also, Wilson makes a great filberglass antenna called the Flexi-whip, different lengths and not as thick as the Firestix.

Good Luck on your hunt,

16. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      i guess im just not down with the long skinny whips... i like the stubby fat guys better :D

17. Josh S.

City, State:
      Seabeck, WA
      '93 sport 4x4
      thats right

18. Big Bear Bob

Big Bear Bob Active Member

City, State:
      Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
      98 XLT /01 Dodge 1500 4X4
      Fire stick makes a mag mount for their antennas that work pretty well. I got a decent SRW match with my 4 foot antenna, but my 2 foot (without a spring yet) is in the red!

19. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
      Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
      The two footer is really what got my attention but the Firestick is also 5/8ths wave antenna and is capable of 6 D.B. gain.

20. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Boston Area
      2003 Ranger Edge
      6 DB Gain ?!?!?!?!?! over what as a reference ?

Don't worry about claimed DB numbers, see how it works in your appllication and if it work well for you then nail it, well not throught the coax anyway.

The name of game in CBs is "Height"...

The higher the better. It goes for fiberglass and for S/S whips.
      The reason the fiberglass antennas perform better, in some situations, is because a lot of them are top loaded.
      Top Loading - is when the coil is located at the top of the antenna and the major part of the transmitting wave starts there. So you start higher and you are higher, electrically speaking.

I have found that the flexi whip from Wilson is a good fiberglass antenna, not too fat but works well.

coolchriscush,
      Ok on the fat thing...
      Wilson's Flexi Whip is a thinner filberglass antenna, work OK in the woods too.

:usa: :chug: :ca:

21. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
      Couldn't tell you thats just what I read, it was on the net, and explained the difference in wave length. It had alot of math and was a long article. If I find the link I'll post it here.

But I finaaly got the spring for the 2' firestick and got a decent SWR with channel 19 barely moving the meter.

22. Chris4x4Gill2

Chris4x4Gill2 Active Member

City, State:
      Decatur, AL
      99 XL 4x4
      I have one of the 3' K-40 power whips on a magnetic base for my truck. Make sure you get a base that is capable of holding the antenna on at high speeds. most will tell you a height that they work with like for antennas up to 5 foot or something like that. Usually this means for whips not the big thick power whips so make sure it is rated above the height of your power whip. I have had mine fly off several times even with a 5 foot rating. a spring(which I have to get still) will help with wind resistance cause it will allow the antenna to give at high speed.

23. Chris4x4Gill2

City, State:
      Decatur, AL
      99 XL 4x4
      oh yea....check out the WIlson "Little Will" antenna. It is a small thin whip so there isnt much wind resistence, it also bends so it doesnt get nocked off by limbs. Very good antenna...its whats going on myy explorer when I get it.

24. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      i ended up getting the firestik mount wiht the 2' firestick... that thing is so strong, there is no way its falling off

25. Chris4x4Gill2

City, State:
      Decatur, AL
      99 XL 4x4
      Careful what you say.....I thought thsat too but hit 75 or 80 and there it went. What kind did you get? I might need to switch.

26. coolchris

coolchris Elite Explorer

1996 xlt
      its the k-11 or something like that, ive had it on for awhile now and it has held strong through speeds over 95... its a really strong magnet. also realize that i have a medium duty spring on there too so that helps out a lot.