1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

What is the screen panel on the P.S. of the cargo area?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by anony, February 13, 2020 at 8:41 PM.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. anony

anony New Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Ford Explorer XLT
    I need to replace all the speakers in my 2000 Explorer XLT that I recently bought. I was trying to remove this panel but I can't figure out how to remove it yet without breaking the clips. I was trying to see if there was a speaker behind it because it does look like a speaker panel. The speakers are blown out and don't make any noise so I can't test it by turning up the volume. Can someone please tell me what tool to use to remove it safely and tell me what it is if you know, that is it a speaker panel? Thank you!

PicsArt_02-13-05.26.52.jpg

PicsArt_02-13-05.26.52.jpg

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. XLTrunner

XLTrunner Active Member

City, State:
    MN
    1998 Explorer XLT 4.0SOHC
    Yeah...there is a speaker behind there. You're going to need to pull that entire side trim panel back to access the clips on the backside of the speaker panel.

• Like Like x 1
  4. anony

anony New Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    2000 Ford Explorer XLT
    Great, thank you! That I know how to do. I just wanted to ask before trying and breaking something unnecessarily.

5. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    outside shovelling snow
    ................ 96 XLT ™
    I think that one just snaps on, but don't risk it.

I think have one of those in my stockpile. PM me about it, and I'll see if I can find pics of it later today...

• Like Like x 1
  6. anony

anony New Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    2000 Ford Explorer XLT
    It's ok, thank you anyways. I actually stumbled across a YouTube video about it, I'll see if I can upload it on here. Apparently certain models have a subwoofer back there. But I will definitely have to remove the entire side panel to get to it. For now I'm just going to disconnect it and the other blown speakers until I can afford a low budget sub and speakers for the doors.

7. anony

anony New Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    2000 Ford Explorer XLT
    This video shows the P.S. cargo area panel already removed and showing there's a subwoofer box behind it.

This video just shows what he did to replace the door speakers.

I wish he recorded a time laps video of the actual work in both videos, but it's still informative.

Last edited: February 14, 2020 at 7:22 AM
  8. anony

anony New Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    2000 Ford Explorer XLT
    This guy only shows what to do to remove and reinstall the door panel. Skip ahead to 0:53 to get past his talking. Be careful removing the parts on the door panel, this guy almost stabs himself. But this video is also informative.

9. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
    It's an interesting idea to keep the factory connectors, but if I were to do that, I'd clip off most of the stock metal tab instead of soldering to the end of something that large and exposed, then after soldering, put heatshrink tubing over that to electrically isolate it so there is no chance of it shorting out against the door (or through the speaker frame) metal. Maybe he did insulate it, the video didn't cover everything till completion.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FijiBill

FijiBill New Member

1999 Ford Explorer
    You'll need to remove the passenger rear interior panel. The tabs on that speaker screen can only be removed from the inside.

The speaker is mounted with a bolt on the back of the subwoofer box, so you need to take out the subwoofer box to swap out the speaker anyway.

The seatbelt shoulder loop is a large torx and on pretty tight but the rest isn't too tough. This post has info on the wiring as well as a photo of the speaker screen tabs:

Mounty sound system in explorer

thin red/black (sub -)
    thin brown/orange (sub +)
    thin green/purple (amp remote wire)
    thick black/green (ground)
    thick green/purple (power)

[​IMG]

Last edited: February 14, 2020 at 7:59 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  11. anony

anony New Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    2000 Ford Explorer XLT
    I was thinking the same thing. In the comments for his video he did get asked about insulating his work and he says he didn't. I cringed thinking about how many times that will eventually touch against the door. Even if he wrapped it with electrical tape would be better than leaving it exposed. I'll keep all this in mind when I replace mine.

12. anony

anony New Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    2000 Ford Explorer XLT
    Cool, thank you! It's been difficult finding info on something I didn't know this vehicle has stock installed on it, and figuring how to look up these videos. I completely missed this one. Very helpful.