• Register Today It's free!

What is this Part? Pics...Help!

Wyoguy222

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Explorer
Hello all! I've always gotten good help here so here we go :D My vehicle shakes bad when going around right curves and turns. Thought it might be hub bearings, pulled wheel off today and they are fine! I looked around and found this gasket i think its called, completely torn and off of where its supposed to be! What part is this, and what part do I need to fix it! Glad I checked before I bought new hub bearings!

Please reply :)

BoxElder-20120612-00764-1.jpg

CentralPennington-20120612-00765.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that is a Hub Race. It is a sleeve that is pressed onto the hub that the bearing rubs up against when the wheel is turning.

The place I have had the best luck in getting those parts, NAPA, though on a rare occasion Autozone has come through. They are not very expensive at all, and pressing them in takes a little work but can be done!

So if I just buy a new hub assembly that will fix it? It needs a new hub assembly anyway.

Yup a new hub would cover ya. Chances are if the seal is comin off like that then your gonna need a new hub anyway. If not now then soon

Thank You! I will get myself one! Just put an alternator in today, that set me back, so I'll have to wait a couple days on the hub!

That's just a dust seal for the halfshaft. I don't believe a new hub includes that. The bearings and races are a sealed unit in the '95+ That's definitely not a race and you would have serious issues if one seperated like that or was made out of plastic.

Ok so now I'm confused. So what would be causing the rumbling why going down the road, and horrible shaking on right curves?

Could it be the rear bearing is going out on the left side? I just thought of this!

If it is making that much noise and vibration going down the road and on the right turns, I would believe it to be the bearing and race... I guess the best way to answer this, is to tear it down and see whats going on in there!

That could be the hub or axle CV, but the dust shield has nothing to do with the issue.

The dust shield only protects the hub bearings from dust etc. Those come with most CV axles, and used to be about $15 from Ford. They go on the axle easily with the back of a screwdriver, or light hammer tapping.

Be sure that the dust shield is installed far enough on, so that it doesn't touch, or ride on the backside of the spindle/hub. That will cause it to fall apart like pictured, due to high heat. You want it close without touching the spindle.

Back