What is this part?

chrystal

Reaction score
City, State
essex uk
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 North Face
Slide5.jpg

In this picture (right hand side) where you have the words relay module . What is the cable that runs across the picture. it has a bulbous bit in the middle which has a wiring connector on it. Should it get hot? I was using your thread to check a battery drain and was looking for the relay box when I noticed it was hot.

Thanks
Photo courtesy of PHatGRoB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Chrystal. Just noticed seperate thread.
I have no idea what it is. All I know is it was in the way when trying to look at the relays. I'll try and have a look though. GRoB.

Is it a vac line to do with the heating/aircon system?

Thanks for your help - as I said the bulbous bit was almost to hot to hold, that was with the ignition off! Dont know anything abouit electrics but Im sure its not supposed to get hot on its own. One end goes to the dash, the other goes into centre console.

Im taking it to a garage Thursday as the drain is still present. I tried o check the drain, left it 45mins and the reading didnt change. Took fuse 25 out and the drain went down to .9 and lots of clicking of relays (sounded like a field of crickets) also took out battery saver relay and again went down to .9.

Together with the change in the warning chimes Im giving in!!

Shift interlock cable??

Looked in Chilterns and thaey only deal with column change

Shift interlock cable??

Just to follow up. It is the interlock cable and should have the following electrical connections:

Black - earth

Light Green - (+) from brake switch

Grey/Yellow - Ignition switched (+)

Might be worth checking that the above feeds are not permanently live. Can you shift out of park with the ignition off?

I will check, the battery is disconnected, so is the cable at the moment. Is it supposed to be hot? should I be able to shift out of park with ignition off?. I know I should know but....

I cant so that is ok - what does that cable do - its unplugged at the moment and the shifter worked.

Just for info, when testing things for the MOT earlier in the year I noticed that mine works as follows:

With the ignition key out - lever cannot be moved out of Park with or without depressing brake pedal (no supply to brake lights)
With the ignition key in and turned one position - lever moves out of Park with no need to depress brake pedal.
With ignition key turned till lights are on, with or without engine running - brake pedal needs to be depressed to move lever from Park position.

Seems an odd combination but with the Ex, I fail to be surprised!
GRoB

Is the function controlled by the GEM? On my other post about the warning chimes it was mentioned that the GEM may have been damaged by the short.

If only the sodding fuse had blown. Oh well to the garage in the morning and chuck some more money away! The joys of EX'S

All Fixed!!!

Thanks to the wiring diagrams (Cheers Phatgrob) the garage got it sorted. Once they new what was what the fault was traced to more melted wires tucked under the dash (had to remove fusebox, panels etc). As usual the Explorer is an enigma in relation to tech info/garage databases.

App the drain was being caused by windows, ABS, compass display all being constantly live due to the short.

The seat had caused the problem, the fuse didnt blow because instead of a 10A, there was a 30A instead!!! and the wire was rated at 12A. The seat was tested and now only draws .4A, so must be an intermittant fault caused the serge. The mechanic also tried to fix the airbag light, but that would be a whole new bill!

They had the car for a week and only charged for 5 hours work - I'm well happy with that. If anyone needs a good garage in SE Essex let me know

Glad to be of help. It's great you got this resolved and what would seem to be an keen and honest garage too. GRoB.

Back