Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

What IS this part?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Vette76, July 2, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Vette76

Vette76 Member

City, State:
      Maine
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      02 XLT 4.0L & 97 XLT 5.0L
      Hey guys, I can't take off a part from my '02 SOHC V6 without scratching my head.

I just took off the right cylinder head and I found what I swear is a "pillow" that fits perfectly on top of the center of the engine block. It has tabs and fits perfectly around the intake ports of the cylinder heads. Am I to believe that this 'pillow' actually is suppose to stay in this cavity below the intake manifold and came this way from the factory? I unfortunately didn't take the intake manifold off so I'm not sure what the heck this thing is supposed to look like. It was packed with shop rags. I didn't even see this until I knocked the right head off about an hour ago.

I actually thought I had solved, once and for all, why my 02 is such a POS. I figured the guy who put together all the 02's finally hid his pillow inside my engine!! :)

I'm trying to figure out how to upload pictures. When I do, I'll actually load one up of this thing.

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. waskly

waskly Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Crooklyn NY!
      all the 02/03 and i think 04 have a pillow in the valley of the engine, i'm guessing its for the knock sensor.

later models it was removed from.

4. Vette76

Vette76 Member

City, State:
      Maine
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      02 XLT 4.0L & 97 XLT 5.0L
      Waskly, thanks for the help. I swear this thing was made with spit and tin foil. I used to think people were joking when they talked about the "canuta valve" or the "johnson rod" or the "muffler bearing" but I bet if I keep on taking parts off this thing, I might actual find all of them! :)

Thanks for the help.