What is this ugly HOOK? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this ugly HOOK?

more and more I've realized how many people who buy this explorers are just crazy and whine about everything.

Pretty much

yes, it can be used as a tow hook, but it started life as a tie down for transporting your pretty ex and not letting it bang around the box cars !!!

Honestly, I've not noticed it on the wife's and probably won't go looking for it :)

My 9-3 has it from it's boat ride over. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more and more I've realized how many people who buy this explorers are just crazy and whine about everything.
wAuwF.gif

So just one hook on the back left corner? That sounds odd. Do all the 2013's have this hook now? I have 4WD drive, I don't need a hook.
It seems to me that many vehicles that require towing out one situation or another ARE AWD/4WD because they figure, mistakenly, that they can go anywhere and are apt to take more chances.

Peter

YES! Best sentence ever posted on this site!!
:thumbdwn:
Perhaps the best but not the wisest. Kind of like the guy who said, "I don't have to turn the power off to change this electrical switch". Famous last words.

Peter

Peter he was being a smart as....

My 97 UK Ex came with front and rear hooks... every car I've ever owned back home has hooks... over here.. none... don't get why... but, I'd rather have it than lose a body panel...

Si

This is the tow/recovery hook. So far, I've only seen it on explorers without the tow package. I figure the engineers intended for the hitch to be used for recovery and since explorers without the tow package don't have a hitch, they get a recovery hook.

And yes, even 4x4s get stuck. I've not gotten my power wagon stuck but I have seen others stuck. And that vehicle has front and rear lockers as well as a disconnecting sway bar yielding over 18" of wheel travel.

Lol the explorer is no snow plow... Tow hooks definitely come in handy in any situation whether it be car accident, breaking down, getting stuck or anything else that people can come up with.

I just gave this thread a 5 star rating. :D

Wait a minute, I just now looked at your pic link, that IS ugly, cut it off!

Besides, civic guys are spending tons of cash on big gawdy hooks :D just google "civic tow hook"
Those things are sticking out all over the place 'round campus. Just waiting to catch me in the shin

That's pretty funny. Better than the big wings tho, at least they have a chance to be of some use.

I just Googled it... the hell? What fad is this?

I go to an engineering school, so it's a good chance those cars are raced. Lots of race cars on campus, my favorite is a tie between the 2 modded out wrx's and the gutted vw with a ghetto strut bar

:salute:

25846460009_large.jpg

486608_556285694401959_330672951_n.jpg

576107_556286177735244_1633872954_n.jpg

5649540004_large.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

P5060047.jpg

attachment.php

Just saying, 4wd stands for 4 wheel drive, so saying 4wd Drive is redundant. Anyway OP, just having a little fun at your expense, hope you get a laugh out of this one. Keep the hook, it is useful if you ever need a tow or anything else. You wouldn't want a call to roadside assistance turn into a misaligned bumper or a bent a-arm.

FWIW, many of us install tow hooks on our 4wds just because we anticipate 4wd fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Folks, I never plan to be taking it offroad. I'm not in casting for Buckwild....besides I heard that show got canceled. I plan to keep my baby on the road.

Back