What is this ugly HOOK? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this ugly HOOK?

I have a 2013 X and I am wondering if you have the Tow Package, would you also have or should you have a Recovery Hook in the rear? Thanks Steve..:salute:

I don't have the tow package on my Ex but have the hook on the left underside. Someone with the tow package would have to post if they have both. I'd assume they do, but the hook is really unnecessary with the tow package with a receiver mount hook you could just pop on. That would be far stronger for getting pulled out of anything than the hook that on the under left side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 MY does not have the rear hook.

My 2011 Ltd had that hook in the rear but from what I understand it isn't a tow hook but was used to secure the vehicle on the transport. Those with the tow package apparently did not require one. There is this thread on that same issue and I don't think a final conclusion was reached whether it was a tie down or recovery hook.

Peter

My 2011 Ltd had that hook in the rear but from what I understand it isn't a tow hook but was used to secure the vehicle on the transport. Those with the tow package apparently did not require one. There is this thread on that same issue and I don't think a final conclusion was reached whether it was a tie down or recovery hook.

Peter

My 2011 has the tow package......

more and more I've realized how many people who buy this explorers are just crazy and whine about everything.

That's hilarious! But it's not just Explorer owners, the internet is rife with whiners! :eek:

wAuwF.gif

Love IT!!

I have a 2011 Explorer 4WD, tow package, and no hook.

Very small sample, but sounds like those without the factory tow package get the hook, so it can be assumed it is supposed to a recovery hook.

Like I posted, it is pretty secure. Will get you out of soft sand or snow or up a flatbed if done slowly, but I would not do anything too serious with it.

Very small sample, but sounds like those without the factory tow package get the hook, so it can be assumed it is supposed to a recovery hook.

Like I posted, it is pretty secure. Will get you out of soft sand or snow or up a flatbed if done slowly, but I would not do anything too serious with it.
It could still have been installed as a tie down. Those with that tow package likely did not need the hook since the tow hitch could have been used to secure the vehicle.

Peter

It could still have been installed as a tie down. Those with that tow package likely did not need the hook since the tow hitch could have been used to secure the vehicle.

Peter

Per Ford, you are to use the tie down slots in the frame for rail transport. No mention of the back hook. The whole vehicle need to be secure and the tie down slots in the frame cover all four corners.

Download the PDF and go to page 28 for the Ex. This PDF tells you where to tie down all Ford models for rail transport.

Thus, I can only see the rear hook as a rear recovery hook for those who don't have the tow package. All Ex's have the screw-in hook for front recovery.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...psAqsk4kA&sig2=BNehPe9eN6RdC_T3PqEViA&cad=rja

Per Ford, you are to use the tie down slots in the frame for rail transport. No mention of the back hook. The whole vehicle need to be secure and the tie down slots in the frame cover all four corners.

Download the PDF and go to page 28 for the Ex. This PDF tells you where to tie down all Ford models for rail transport.

Thus, I can only see the rear hook as a rear recovery hook for those who don't have the tow package. All Ex's have the screw-in hook for front recovery.
Very interesting. Learned something new today. I guess that puts the discussion 'to bed'. Thank you very much for that document. Appreciate it.:thumbsup:

Peter

Just curious if anyone has installed one of these? How hard is it to do?

My friend had a break down on the side of a highway a few weeks ago so I got to pull him for almost 40 miles thru highways, bridges/tolls and city streets. What an experience that was lol.

Anyways..... I used that hook to pull him with, did the job just fine but 1 question arose - why not have 2 hooks - 1 on each side?? What if his car had it only on the right side while mine only has it on the left? Good thing his beater 2000something Toyota had 2 hooks.

My friend had a break down on the side of a highway a few weeks ago so I got to pull him for almost 40 miles thru highways, bridges/tolls and city streets. What an experience that was lol.

Anyways..... I used that hook to pull him with, did the job just fine but 1 question arose - why not have 2 hooks - 1 on each side?? What if his car had it only on the right side while mine only has it on the left? Good thing his beater 2000something Toyota had 2 hooks.
As mentioned in a previous post, it is a 'recovery' hook not meant to be a 'tow' hook. A subtle difference. I believe that means it is for when your vehicle has to be pulled out of a ditch for example. Although it can obviously be used to tow another vehicle, as you have proven, that likely is not what it was originally put there for. The same applies to the front. Only one hook for that as well.

Peter

As mentioned in a previous post, it is a 'recovery' hook not meant to be a 'tow' hook. A subtle difference. I believe that means it is for when your vehicle has to be pulled out of a ditch for example. Although it can obviously be used to tow another vehicle, as you have proven, that likely is not what it was originally put there for. The same applies to the front. Only one hook for that as well.

Peter

True. Being on one side, it was not meant to actually pull the vehicle long distances. Primarily to pull a broken down vehicle onto a flatbed or pull out of snow/a ditch.

That one rear hook is just meant for recovery, but glad the poster was able to pull the Ex so far with it, though it is not really the safest thing to do. All sorts of trouble can occur in the need to slam the brakes or make an emergency maneuver.

As was finally noted, the recovery hook is for just that. The tie down slots located at various points under the car are used for transport. They are reinforced to take the stress of being pulled on very hard, and the jouncing that a vehicle is subject to while being hauled over the highways. Using one of these hooks at a 'wrong' angle will cause it to be torn from the chassis, and then there will be a weak point that can further rupture. 16 years of hauling new and used cars in the Northeast over frost heaved roads gives you a very deep insight into the strength of vehicle bodies!

Amazing... 4 pages of basically the same answer: "It's a tow hook"

That's where you young Explorer boys tie the string of tin cans when ya get married.

Having had to remove mine (to install an aftermarket trailer hitch), I can tell you that I was very surprised to discover how very heavy-duty the hook (and its associated mounting assembly) was! The entire assembly is made out of very thick steel. I would have been very comfortable using it for not only a tie-down point but perhaps even a point to be pulled a bit with a snatch-strap if stuck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back