• Register Today It's free!

What mods

neric

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer
I have the 4.0L explorer 91, Eddie Bower, 2 WD, Auto Tran, with 150,000 on it. While it drive well (very smooth), I was wondering, what recommended modification I can do to it in order to get the most Power and torque, and better gas mileage. I also use it to get to Trailheads out here in PNW (avid climber). Usually the road conditions are pretty ruff (giant potholes, and big stones and wet condition) so I need a better power and handling.
On my list is replacing my exhaust system with Gibson straight through, and getting a performance air filter. I am just a very novice regarding what I need to make this ride a powerhouse. As a wishful thinking, what are the components replacement that will give me the best bang for my buck (i.e. the most likely to make a significant difference).
:banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 wheel drive Eddie bauer? I've heard of no such thing.

I'm sure there are plenty of 2wd EB's.

For mods, here goes. Air filter/intake, exhaust (cat-back), custom tuned chip, 2" lift, 31" A/T's, and some good shocks. More power, more capability, and better handling.

i'd say gears over anything. one of the best mods for the money.

If you want more power then what gears can get ya, then a cam with matching pushrods would a great investment.

Gears + Cam = Best Bang for the buck

after that you need the usual. Tint, Rims, system, intake, exhaust, and a 3" body lift and/or 2" suspention lift will do ya well for some 32"s or 33"s. None of this stuff is going to be cheap. expect to pay atleast 500 on the gears/carrier that you want.

when it comes down to it. an intake wont do much in the terms of power. Although a bigger throttle body (66mm from BBK) does achive pretty noticable increase in power. a Cone filter and a Flowmaster muffler will definatly make it sound better.

Gears and a cam may be the best bang for the buck, but there's a few reasons why that's not such a good idea. One is he probably has stock sized tires, not too much need for lower gearing. Another is that cam and gears are much, much more than most folks are looking to spend on performance improvements. I still think intake, exhaust, and chip are the best basic mods for performance.

the amount of money you are going to end up sending on the intake and exhaust is the closley the same as regearing with 4.10 would be... thats if you mean bigger throttle and MAF when you say 'intake'

i spent over 400 dollars on a bigger MAF and Throttle. Gears and a master install kit would be less than 300 dollars. Getting someone to install them will a different story though.

Chip is going to be worthless on OBD-I, unless you have tons of internal engine work.

intake and exhaust is only going to improve the sound when it boils down to it.

Although it would be hard to find someone to do the work for cheap. If you could learn to do that kind of work on your own, then it will be definatly a much better idea.

Creager said:
the amount of money you are going to end up sending on the intake and exhaust is the closley the same as regearing with 4.10 would be... thats if you mean bigger throttle and MAF when you say 'intake'

i spent over 400 dollars on a bigger MAF and Throttle. Gears and a master install kit would be less than 300 dollars. Getting someone to install them will a different story though.

Chip is going to be worthless on OBD-I, unless you have tons of internal engine work.

intake and exhaust is only going to improve the sound when it boils down to it.

Although it would be hard to find someone to do the work for cheap. If you could learn to do that kind of work on your own, then it will be definatly a much better idea.

Who, back it up there hot-shot. Intake and exhaust are important on all vehicals. Air is what makes the engine work, and the better it breaths, the better it performs. Gears don't make an overall performance change, they just change the way the engine reacts in certain power sitautions.
AND
Chips are allways important, it doesn't mater what OBD you're running, a change in spark map, a/f ratio, advance, ect. are going to do wonders for any car.
-matt

Terran said:
Who, back it up there hot-shot. Intake and exhaust are important on all vehicals. Air is what makes the engine work, and the better it breaths, the better it performs. Gears don't make an overall performance change, they just change the way the engine reacts in certain power sitautions.
AND
Chips are allways important, it doesn't mater what OBD you're running, a change in spark map, a/f ratio, advance, ect. are going to do wonders for any car.
-matt

huh? read the thread dude. Mainly the last line of the first post... get it?

Yeah i "get it" and gears don't give you bang for the buck, they just change your useable powerband. Headers and a TB plus a cat-back, the TPS adjustment mod, and some throttle cable adjustment will give you more power, plus 2 of them are free (the tps adjustment and the throttle adjustment).

good set of headers (Ones that will actually get you more power) = $500
High flow Cat = $200
Throttle Body = $200
70mm MAF = $200
KKM Filter = $80 bucks
Chip = $300

Total = $1280

Common consensis for power gain with common bolt on mods = 190 hp
stock power = 155hp

22% more power over stock

4:10 Ring and pinon = $200
Timken master instlal kit = $80
Ford Racing LSD = $50
someone to install it all = $200

Total for gears = $530

Stock Gear ratio = 3.27
New Gear ratio 4.10

79% more power over stock

So your 'usuable powerband' increases by 79% with gears. While your mid to high-end power increases by 22% with bolt on engine mods... So you can spend $750 dollars less, for more power. Gears will also allow him to put bigger tires on later if he feels the need. He wont be left with too much power as 4.10 was offered as a stock ratio in some ford Trucks. Your top-end will decrease, but your still going to limited by the speed limiter. so overall you will get to the 'speed limiter' faster with gears.

Gears will make it seem like you have more power, when you accelerate, but you will lose speed in the long run. Gears are very expensive unless you know somebody in the business. A intake and exhaust do more than sound. The intake gets the most amount of HP for the money and you can get a new intake for less than 100$. Start with the intake and the exhaust. Also use the search feature!!

Note: Gears would be a little cheaper because its a 2wd. But you gears are most likely 3.73 however you will have to check your code

Exactly, gears arn't win-win, you sacrifice high-end for low-end. Also header/intake/whatever, isn't a 22% high end, it's ~22% over the whole powerband.

terran, seat of the pants power huh?

you dont gain much, if any low-end with an intake. With gears you notice the biggest difference in the low-end

explorers dont need high-end, Low-end is what they lack.

creager said:
Your top-end will decrease, but your still going to limited by the speed limiter

unless you get a chip, which could remove it and the way i see it would be the only way that you would be sacraficing high-end.

Terran said:
well i consider drivability important. I don't want my SUV to accelerate like a MACK.

yeah it can accelerate like a chevette insted.

im not trying to be a killjoy here, im being honest. Ive tried every bolt on mod you can get. Gears by FAR were the best, most anticipated, and most rewarding mod. And for the money, i could have gotten gears way earlier but i spent an excess of money getting intake and exhaust first.

Sure it sounds great and it does add power, but i would of never considered it 'quick' or 'torquie' until i got gears. and i mean TORQ-EY!

gears for sure.

one thing that hasnt been mentioned about gears is that if you do any ammount of time running around on the highway your gas milage will drop like a rock of you install a set of 4.10's. Your engine will have to run at a higher RPM to sustain the same speed. If you do a lot of around town driving and your Explorer doesnt see much highway time then go for a set of Gears, but i wouldnt really consider gears a basic upgrade. Gears need to be carfully picked for your application and IMO are not a good place to start your mods at.

Infact if your Explorer does have the 3.73 gears in the rear end then i would NOT reccomend changing them, unless you want to get into some tougher off road stuff (probabally not high on your priority list). IMO the 3.73 rear end gives you the best of both worlds a great ammount of torque with a decent crusing highway RPM and 'good' gas milage.

neric said:
I have the 4.0L explorer 91, Eddie Bower, 2 WD, Auto Tran, with 150,000 on it.....

A 91 auto trans and 150,000 miles? I would recommend an auxillary transmission cooler and external filter to preseve what you have before you go off-roading it. Just my .02 ;)

It is such an informative post thank you all mechanic buffs for spilling the beans about what I can do to help my old explorer to get back in shape.
The way I see it, I will start with the exhaust, air intake, and chip. Then move on to 4.10 gears incl' auxillary transmission cooler and external filter and will get the 2" and 3" lift. I figure, I will be invest ~$2000 by the time it is done. I like this ride allot (never had a big car--SUV, or Truck) and thinking on keeping it for a while. My only concern with investing in it is the engine.
Do you think this poppa’s its on his last legs or can I breathe some youth to it?
The other question is, I am trying to find the conical air intake assembly for 1991 Explorer and no one makes them. It seems that all of these air intake modifications are only offered to 1996 and newer models ( I am tempted to try the Ghetto air intake I saw posted here if it all fail). do you have any idea where can I get 1991 performance air intake?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BeauJ said:
Creager, why have you edited so many of your post?

i try to keep my posts G-Rated as possible haha

Back