What shocks are good for a lowered explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What shocks are good for a lowered explorer

11point5

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
I am finally lowering the explorer this week, 2"in the back(for now) and leveling the front (adjuster flip),,my question is who makes good shocks for a lowered explorer? I have heard of Edelbrock IAS, but are there any other (preferrably less pricy) shocks for lowered explorers?part #s would be awesome too!thanks!

Use stock length shocks for the rear since the mounting points are the same.
Unless you're torsion dropping the front more than 2", use stock length as well.
Important you have adequate bump stop clearance so you're not riding on them.
I'm using Monroe SensaTrac's with my 3/2.5 drop. Nice smooth ride, but they tend
to dive and lean during hard braking and cornering. If you can still find them, Reflex
will give you a firmer ride for spirited driving. Avoid the IAS because of the feedback
regarding longevity and steep pricing. Search shocks in the lowered sub forum. GL

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

I liked the "on road" performance of the IAS shocks. Most negative reviews will be of the off road or dirt road nature. In that case I agree.

Any "good" shock will cost you. If you have gone to the trouble of lowering your Explorer, then it makes sense to me you also want a former, better handling ride. I'd check out the Edelbrock, or Bilstein shocks. I would also recommend a shorter length than stock.

Shave the bumpstops only as needed, as they will help firm the cornering.

post a pic of the exp? wanna see it

Back