What should I do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91Navsplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo
Hey guys I haven't had the chance to be as active as I would like to in the past two weeks. But today I amconfronted with a bit of a problem. Now, in my introduction post, I stated that I purchased a 91 Navajo for $300 from a coworker. Now I'm 19 and I go to school and work both full-time. I was on my normal schedule saturday morning, on my way to work at 7:30 a.m, when (due to a leaky hydrant, that's been thay way for over a year) I hit a patch of BLACK ICE and fishtailed into a hill, then hit a tree and landed sideways on the driver's side door. My girlfriend and I managed to out out of the vehicle through the sunroof. We made it safely, but the Navsplorer was totaled. I went to the impound lot where it was taken and was told that the price to get it out was $300 and $40 for every extra day. Now this accident left the front driver's side from the headlight, to the door completely smashed in. I wanted to know, would I be better off giving the title to the towing company, writing it off as a tax deduction, or getting it out and parting it out. Yhe interior and rear driver and complete passenger side is intact. Any suggestions and or comments are completely welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Geesh, talk about giving it to you without vaseline.. Only thing worth money on it is:

Hubs, engine, tranny, transfer case. Maybe the axles if they are 3.73. Only way I'd keep it is if you are getting another exploder. Could get a non-running one dirt cheap and put your parts in it.

I don't know anything about tax write offs.

I guess that depends on what you wanna do. You go to school full-time and work full-time, and are racking up $40 a day in "storage fees". Do you have a place to work on it, or will neighbors be calling the local constabulary while you strip it in "their" neighborhood? Do you want to save it? Strip it down for parts? If so, do you have time for this and running parts around to ship them off? For $640 you would have tied up, how much work do you want to do to recover that? Got another vehicle to drive?

what they said. And learn a life lesson. Always have it towed to where you live, even if it's an apartment complex that does not allow that sort of thing. they'll get on you about it but you'll have a little *grace period* to figure out a better place.

AHHHH, of course... the old "its easier to ask forgiveness that to ask permission" trick. It works well. If you ask, they say no, but if they catch you after the fact they give you a little time to figure it all out.

Geesh, talk about giving it to you without vasaline

yea...n I wasn't gonna tell you guys that afterwards I was arrested by an over powered, irrate cop who wanted to get into a dick measuring contest with me.

well I'm not looking to put too much money into fixing it, which if I did that I would have to...that's out the question. I would be able to take the parts off, but shipping, maintaining, leg work and much much more things I do not have time for. Only if the parts would give me a profittable advantage would I put myself in that perdicament. Otherwise, NO. They've offered me a $225 junking fee just to get rid of it. So...still open to comments and questions.

and I do have a backyard and garage.

yea...n I wasn't gonna tell you guys that afterwards I was arrested by an over powered, irrate cop who wanted to get into a dick measuring contest with me.

Take the $225, then take whoever bailed you out to dinner.

Geeze, how can it be mandatory to take it to a yard where they charge you to get it back?

I'd take the $225 and find another. You're down $45 from the purchase price ..call it even

Buy a head light, fender, and a door at the junk yard.

Back