1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

what to buy

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by 97mercurymount, December 13, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 97mercurymount

97mercurymount New Member

City, State:
      Belton Texas
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 mountaineer
      Yes i am thinking of getting a ranger as my second car and i was wondering what year and what engine i defintly want the v6 but dont know if i want the 4.0 or 3.0 because i want to save as much gas as much possible because my mounty is the 5.0 and also i havent decide if i want 4wd or 2wd cuz i am a young guy 17 and dont know if i could aford the insurance.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. NusenseSD

NusenseSD Active Member

City, State:
      Sandy Eggo, Cali
      2002 XLS Sport
      might get a better insurance rate with a 3litre.. The gas mileage isn't that much different between them though.. More performance options for a 4 litre however there is a new supercharger kit available for the 3 litres..

4. bmxking5

bmxking5 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Monroe, GA
      '93 Sport & '96 XLT
      Like ^^^ he said, the insurance might be better for the 3.0, but I doubt it will be too much of a difference. If you are trying to get a ranger for the cheapest possible amount, then you'd want the 3.0. The majority of the V6 rangers out on the road are 3.0L, so they are obviously cheaper than the 4.0L(since it is harder to find). I don't think there would be much of a difference in gas mileage between the two either. Actually a lot of the guys with 5.0 explorers/mountys get around the same mileage as the 4.0 OHV. I think that all of the ranger's body styles look pretty good, so I can't really give you an opinion on what year to get. Good luck :)

5. Ranger Al

Ranger Al Active Member

City, State:
      Fresno, California
      '00 FX4 Ranger
      Ranger XLT 4.0 with 5 speed manual

6. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      my dad has a 98 supercab 4x2 ranger 3.0l with an automatic and 3.73 open diff in the rear... it isnt too expensive know and you can find a nice one all over the place

or get a standard cab 3.0 4x2 with a stick..... they are tough little work trucks... alst a long time even if you beat the crap out of them if you keep up religiously on the maintenance items

7. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Unless you are looking at newer Rangers, say 2001+, then purchase price should not be much different for any and all options. Unless you are in a hurry, and won't shop around, shop around.
      Ask your insurance agent for quotes for the different options that you want to consider. Then take the time to shop for the that you like the most, with the most options.
      Personally, I like the Splash, and I have seen a "gold" one with 17" Cobra R wheels, lowered. They can look wonderful, and I think the V8 can be put into any of them. Ask someone who knows about the years that Ford made important changes to the Rangers. Good luck,
      DonW

8. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, PA
      '08 Sport Trac
      My first Ranger was a 4x4, 3.0, stick, very good on gas. I've rented them when traveling also, all were 3.0's with automatics and mpg was awful. As it is in my soon-to-be-departed 4.0/auto. So I'd say if you got a stick it should be pretty good, if you get an auto then there won't be as much difference between a 3.0 and a 4.0. A 4x2 would be better on gas than a 4x4. Also 4.0 4x2's are pretty rare, most years they only put them in SuperCabs.

9. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Was a Splash a 2WD only? Was it a unique chassis in any way?
      DW

10. Ranger Al

Ranger Al Active Member

City, State:
      Fresno, California
      '00 FX4 Ranger
      I've seen style side bed or Splash on 4x4 and 2wd. As I understand on the earlier Splash suppose to have sportier suspension and rear anti-sway bar. As for chassis, I am pretty sure they are the same, somebody correct me if I am wrong...

11. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, PA
      '08 Sport Trac
      The 2wd Splash came with a sportier suspension, 15x7 chrome rims, and 235/60-15 tires. The 4x4 wasn't any different from a regular 4x4 other than 235/75 A/T's, the stripes, monochrome paint job, and other Splash features. Essentially the Sport Package in '98 replaced the Splash and the Edge replaced the Sport in (I think) '01.
      Old guy at my church has a white 2wd one, pimped out in true old man Cowboy Cadillac style, it hurts my eyes to look at it. :confused:

12. Sport4x4

Sport4x4 Member

City, State:
      Eugene, OR
      99 Sport
      yeah my ranger was a 3.0 5-spd 4x4 and even with 4" of lift and 32s it got 17mpg in the city. my 99 4.0 Sport barely gets that, but it hauls.....the ranger was kinda slow