What to do with my wrecked explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to do with my wrecked explorer

Aidenujines

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford explorer xlt
Ok, I would like to start off by saying I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for this, I'm new here.

So here goes.

I purchased my 2001 Ford explorer xlt 5.0l v8, just over a year ago. I loved it and it has done me really well. Well, 2 days ago I got into an accident, and my SUV is not fixable. Still runs and drive great though.

So I'm wanting to put my stuff in on a new frame, with a new body. By new, I mean new to me.

What vehicles can I use to swap them into without having to buy anything new?

Since I already have everything to make it run and drive, could I take my motor, trans, wiring harness, computers, steering column, and PATS electronics and put them into another vehicle such as an f150 and it would run and drive?

If not, what could I swap them into that wouldn't take weeks of work to get running? I have decent knowledge of working on vehicles, but this will be my first swap dealing with any type of security such as PATS.

I really want to put them in an f150, but I guess my real question is, what would be an easiest vehicle to swap them into other than another explorer.

If I had a 98 f150, what would I have to do to put my motor and trans in it to make it run? Or is there a better year f150 to use that would make this swap easier?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best value would be same year sohc explorer with blown engine. Search the facebook marketplace and craiglist for your area.

Yes, I knew that, but I don't want to put it in another explorer, unless I absolutely have to. As I said I'm leaning to f150, just trying to figure out, since I already have everything, because the explorer runs and drives, do I have everything to make them run and drive in another vehicle.

Yes, I knew that, but I don't want to put it in another explorer, unless I absolutely have to. As I said I'm leaning to f150, just trying to figure out, since I already have everything, because the explorer runs and drives, do I have everything to make them run and drive in another vehicle.

Swapping it into another 99-01 Explorer or Mountaineer is the best idea, because the PCM in those models receive the speed signal(VSS) directly from the Explorer ABS module. It is a weird system, who knows if Ford did that in any other Fords. The rear ABS sensor sends it's signal(which is not usable as is by the speedometer or PCM), to the ABS module, and that conditions it into a VSS signal, which then goes to the speedometer and PCM. This is the main reason people have trouble using the 98-01 PCM's. There is also a G-force sensor on the frame rail of the Explorers(near/behind the fuel filter), used for I don't know, but also part of the system(like the PATS everyone is familiar with).

What is wrong with your Explorer, what's still all good and what should it all be worth? You may find a better use for the parts, sell it as a donor etc. The F150's should accept the 302 easily, but using the wiring harness and especially the computer, is much harder. You don't want to be swapping an Explorer ABS module(with brake line modifications) into another truck. It would be easier to acquire a 97 engine/trans harness, and the late 97 PCM, then it doesn't need the ABS module, but, you'd also have to get a speed sensor into the trans(98 stopped having that and the F150 also has the rear ABS sensor on the diff).

A Ranger would be by far the easiest swap other than another 2nd gen truck. I wouldn't even consider a 97+ F150, it wouldn't be worth it. It would bolt onto a 96 and before F150 with factory mounts.

Ranger or Explorer/Mountaineer is your best bet. Anything else will require fairly extensive electrical nightmares. If the mileage isn’t too bad it has value for someone who wants to do a V8 swap.

It's under 125k miles on my explorer. I'm still driving it. No frame damage or anything. Just all of the body damage. And I can lift a motor or trans, but I can't lift a body, so a body swap Is out of question.

20180323_172450.jpg

Still driving it? HAHAHA

Obviously you need to get someone to ram the other side, So It Matches.

Maybe you just need a Ranger bed ... plus saw. :sawzall:

After that, find some creative way to wall off the back of the cab.

Back