what to look for in a repair shop | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what to look for in a repair shop

well if 0-60 in 10 seconds at BEST requires a sports car.. then yes I guess I am in the wrong vehicle.. but I would not think these trucks are THAT bad that they are incapable of driving in traffic, and having power when its demanded. No matter how you slice it, a car needs power

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why do you want a truck? Do you offroad? Haule lots of stuff inside? It seems that you want neon lights and speed. Then get a fast car.

cos I like trucks and suvs for their appearance practicality and room.. there are no cars on the market today with the qualifications that my mountaineer has that could give me what I want. Besides, if I dont have the money to fix this thing, and good, I dont have the money to replace it with anything.

3 strikes

the 3rd shop to say its fine.. I guess they're right, I'm no longer in on the apten purchase, but I am still talking to the owner about getting one anyway... Since the truck is running as it should, its time to look for some performance upgrades.

It appears that your truck is up to specs. Yet you still feel that it has no power or acceleration. Maybe the next step is to see what power you have - with a dyno eun or two followed up by a run on the drag strip.

Then you will have your performance as well as power data and then you can work from there.

i've been entertaining a dyno run for a while actually, no reason in particular, except I guess to see what power the 5.0 REALLY has..

what kind of names would a shop with a dyno have? IE "bobs performance tuning" or something like that? I'm just throwing a random name out. How much would they charge? I dont think there are any shops in this city with a dyno.. but I could be wrong

just did some calling around.. there are no shops here with dynos. guess I'm SOL on that one.. I hate this town.. everyone in it sucks :p

Drive to Atlanta, its an easy run and not that far.

actually.. that shop was full of ****.. they told me no one has a dyno here.. 3 calls later.. I found one.. I'm going as soon as I can get ready

I think the dyno is a very good idea. Do it in different gears if you can, to see if there's a problem in the tranny.

I guess I'm crazy.. or impatient.. or both.. numbers dont lie.. after 3 shops telling me its fine, and the dyno results showing a 170.2RWHP 220.8 RWTQ best run (3rd out of 4) I guess it just feels slow.. for.. no reason

I'll have these sheets online later

well I guess.. what kind of flexplate power would it have with that? I'm alittle insulted that a v8 has less than 200 RWHP. That should be a minnimum standard.

I am interested in the chip, I'm not going to go with the group purchase tho, I wont have the money in time, and I dont want to hold anyone back. It will be at least another 4 days before I even have the money.

$100 for 4 runs and a fuel/air readout

you read my mind

heres the best runs

www.redplanetsolutions.net/picdump/dyno.jpg
www.redplanetsolutions.net/picdump/dyno1.jpg

dyno2.jpg

Those numbers are damn close to the expected for the V8. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Dunno what to say man, dunno what to say.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your next sterp to "see" if it is performing as it should should be a trip to the track.

Back