Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

What tranny should I use?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by ahhjaws, September 24, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ahhjaws

ahhjaws Moab Edition Explorer

City, State:
      Ft. Collins, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1992 Explorer XLT
      I am researching what kinds and types of trannies I want to install in my X when my A4LD (that is the stock tranny, right?) dies again. I want one that is a whole lot stronger for offroading. Low gears and such.

What are some good auto trannies and manual trannies that you guys have installed in you X's? What cars have them, years, etc...? If I got one from a junk yard, I would probably want to fix it up, so what was the price of the tranny, tune-up...?

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      there is a thread going around here that says that the aode is probably the best... its something about Advance Adapters Automatic Tranny to 4.0 L or something like that....

4. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      Truth is, right now it's a better idea to get your A4LD a performance rebuild than anything else.

Any other option is going to reuire a lot of custom work, or you may lose overdrive, or you may lose the ability to keep the 4.0 in it's powerband.

In short, it's complicated. And you are best off, right now, to keep your A4LD.

5. ahhjaws

ahhjaws Moab Edition Explorer

City, State:
      Ft. Collins, CO
      1992 Explorer XLT
      Well, I'm thinking in like 5 years I will have the resources and knowledge to actually do the swap. I just want to figue out eveything I possibly can about the tranny I want now so when I can swap, I will.