What tranny should I use?

ahhjaws

Moab Edition Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
I am researching what kinds and types of trannies I want to install in my X when my A4LD (that is the stock tranny, right?) dies again. I want one that is a whole lot stronger for offroading. Low gears and such.

What are some good auto trannies and manual trannies that you guys have installed in you X's? What cars have them, years, etc...? If I got one from a junk yard, I would probably want to fix it up, so what was the price of the tranny, tune-up...?

Thanks!

there is a thread going around here that says that the aode is probably the best... its something about Advance Adapters Automatic Tranny to 4.0 L or something like that....

Truth is, right now it's a better idea to get your A4LD a performance rebuild than anything else.

Any other option is going to reuire a lot of custom work, or you may lose overdrive, or you may lose the ability to keep the 4.0 in it's powerband.

In short, it's complicated. And you are best off, right now, to keep your A4LD.

Well, I'm thinking in like 5 years I will have the resources and knowledge to actually do the swap. I just want to figue out eveything I possibly can about the tranny I want now so when I can swap, I will.

Back