What trucks have manual BW-1354??

toddious

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
winter park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 4x4
I am going to hit up the local junkyards, to look for a manual t-case. Wondering what vehicles would have the manual 1354 option (years and models). thanks, todd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first gen explorers... 91-94... probably the lower trim models as well

I think it was 88+ Rangers and all Explorers that had manual cases. Just don't go too new on the Rangers cause you'll need the VSS port. So 88-97 Rangers I think.

are you talking about a manual shift or electric shift 1354?

toddious said:
I am going to hit up the local junkyards, to look for a manual t-case.

Manual.

I actually thought that it was 89 or 90 that started the manual 1354s. Anyways, the 88,89, or 90+(?) Bronco II's had them as well.

I just know that it was a pain to find mine. All my local junkyards only had 87 and older Rangers. So it could have been anywhere from 88 and up. :D I had to buy a complete Explorer to get mine.

Section, If you ever have the urge to drop the money for an Atlas, or similar...just know that I'd be happy to sport your 1354. :D

My 92 4x4 raner is XLT and has one...Gotta love the manual...Just wondering, are you converting from the ghey all time AWD to a regular T-Case?

im also looking to swap in a BW1354... maybe this coming up weekend I can get around to some local junkyards and find one. so the BW1354 just bolts right up right? alot of extra mods?

Bolts up perfect. No driveshaft modding or anything. Just gotta cut a nice hole in the floor. :D

anything to get rid of that electrice shift. blah! what about linkage? would it work if i got the t-case out of a ranger?

The linkage on the 1354 can be used. There were two different types of 1350 linkages and one can be used (with a little modding...slight grinding, etc) and the other 1350 linkage is no where near able to be used. Wow, I know everything about the swap and I've never done it. :confused: I need money!

It definately was not in the 89 rangers. I had one. The 1350 was the only manual one available in that year. I ordered my hubs and t-case as manuals. It may have started in 90, but I do not know.

bmxking5 said:
Just gotta cut a nice hole in the floor. :D
No you don't. If you don't have the floor console, you can buy the floor plate with the slot for the shift linkage, from Ford. If you do have the floor console, you can simply cut a slot next to the console and adjust the linkage accordingly. ;)

As for BroncoIIs, I believe the 4.0 was the only BII to get a 1354, the rest all seem to have the 1350.

Also, I have a 1354 in the basement. I believe it needs a rebuild and was going to tackle that this winter (and provide a write-up as well). However, if one of you guys looking for a 1354 want to twist my arm, I may let it go......

Oh yeah, I forgot about that plate you can buy. Although I remember looking it up from Ford and seeing that it was well over 100 dollars for a hole for manual trans/t-case. :( I looked up the shift boot that's together for both of them (just to see the price, since I'll keep the Hurst boot for the trans shifter) and it was about 200 bucks! :eek:

bmxking5 said:
Oh yeah, I forgot about that plate you can buy. Although I remember looking it up from Ford and seeing that it was well over 100 dollars for a hole for manual trans/t-case. :( I looked up the shift boot that's together for both of them (just to see the price, since I'll keep the Hurst boot for the trans shifter) and it was about 200 bucks! :eek:
Yeah, factory stuff isn't cheap..........if it's even available anymore.

The manual 1354 was an option. I have seen 2 explorers in the yards with the 2 holes in the tunnel. I grabbed the case out of one of them. Some rangers had them too. With the intro of the 4.0L in late 89, the 1354 took presidence behind them. In 92 ish the 1354 was standard and the 1350 was canned. Even if you find a rough 1354 case, most of the parts from a 1350 can be used to rebuild.

Hit up Allan D, I think he is around this board, he's always got spares. These cases are not easy to find so be prepaired to shell out around $300 US for a good one.

The 1354 only came behind the 4.0. Any 89-97 ranger with the 4.0 will have the 1354 and a few 91-94 Explorers. 95-96 is the only years that don't require changing the driveshaft, 97+ you need a 95-96 explorer front drive shaft. A 1350 linkage may or may not be able to be used, if depends on which one it is. I had a 1350 linkage that I modified to work but later swapped it for a 1354 linkage. When you get the linkage, make sure you get the bolts that go with it. The pivot bolt is a special bolt and would probably cost a few bucks from ford. As far as 1354s being hard to find, I didn't have any trouble finding one. Look on www.car-part.com there are alot for sale on there

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doug said:
The 1354 only came behind the 4.0. Any 89-97 ranger with the 4.0 will have the 1354 and a few 91-94 Explorers. 95-96 is the only years that don't require changing the driveshaft, 97+ you need a 95-96 explorer front drive shaft. A 1350 linkage may or may not be able to be used, if depends on which one it is. I had a 1350 linkage that I modified to work but later swapped it for a 1354 linkage. When you get the linkage, make sure you get the bolts that go with it. The pivot bolt is a special bolt and would probably cost a few bucks from ford. As far as 1354s being hard to find, I didn't have any trouble finding one. Look on www.car-part.com there are alot for sale on there

Like I said they can be found in 90. I've seen a couple of 1991 2.9L trucks with a 1354 in them.

In 93 it went standard across the boad, right from the 4'bannger, to the now 3.0L and 4.0L.

Again they are hard to come by. I got mine from Allan D, and my spare I recently found at the wrecker. If you can find a place that can't tell the difference between a 1350 and a 1354 then your one up. Most places around here will let the 1350 manuals go for around $100. Guess how much I paid for mine? :D

Back