Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

What vehicle to get my new 16 year old?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by config, September 19, 2004.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. config

config Active Member

City, State:
    Layton, UT
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '96 XLT
    I dreaded this day but I'm sure some of you have already gone through this. Well, my daughter is now 16 and will begin to drive. I'm defintely not getting her a new car. What is a good used vehicle to get her? I'm hoping a safe old vehicle that gets decent gas mileage. Anyone have any sugesstions?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Red Bluff, Ca
    1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
    My first was a Ranger. I think it was a good choice. :cool:

4. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

VW Beatle................................and I don't mean one of those new POSs.

5. j602

j602 resident douche

City, State:
    Dothan, AL
    '92 XLT
    Get her a used Honda. They last forever and get excellent mileage.

6. jared ajlouny

jared ajlouny Active Member

City, State:
    san jose, california
    '95 XLT 4X4
    get her nothing...make her buy her own, thats what my parents made me do , and it is obne of the best things they taught me. my friends dad just bought him a 04 tacoma trd 4x4, loaded, and he has already gotten in 2 accidents, doesnt lidtento his parents and wheels it all the time not giving a crap about it

7. huskyfan23

huskyfan23 Rah no Hans Bwix

City, State:
    WA
    1994 XLT 4x4
    Get her a Honda or Toyota. They're really the only cars that stay reliable even after being 15 years old. If she wants to choose her own car, tell her to buy one herself.

8. j602

j602 resident douche

City, State:
    Dothan, AL
    '92 XLT
    On second thought, I'm changing my answer to that. I feel exactly the same way and am in the same situation. I'm one of the only people in my entire school who bought their own vehicle and am better off because of it. I'm proud to say that I bought my truck with my own money instead of letting it get handed to me on a silver platter like most of my friends. It makes you take care of your possessions and take pride in what you've invested money in. But, if you do decide to get her a car, refer to my previous post. :)

9. rfuree11

rfuree11 Official Bikini Inspector

City, State:
    Boston
    07 WRX Limited
    i was given my X when i got my license...ive taken care of it fully..treat it as well, if not better than my mom did(well, except for the wheeling, but i do maintain it properly), take care of all the repairs and have had it for 3 years and 40k miles. ive never been in an accident and was pulled over once when i first got my license. in fact, my cars lasted longer and been taken care of better than most of my friends who purchased their own

maybe i'm a rare exception?

and i would look at a used accord or camry...you can't beat 'em for reliablity

10. Critical_Level2

Critical_Level2 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Ridley Park, PA
    1999 XLS R.I.P.
    I had to buy my first car and pay for all of the maintainence, but my parents said they would help with insurance. If I did not have the money to get the car fixed when it was broke, They said I could still get to school on the bus until I had the money to fix it. They bought my sister a brand new cavalier when she turned 16 and she trashed the hell out of it. The reason my parents made me buy the car was so I would take better care of it because I spent my own hard earned money on it (plus I am the most responsible of their offspring). Because I took such good care of it and graduated with honors, they decided to pay half for another car as a graduation present. I would say have her but the car, but you help with insurance and maintainence (expensive stuff, not oil changes or really cheap things). Then she would probably take better care of it because its her money invested, then if when graduation comes, if she took good care of it and has good grades, then get her a new one.

11. Chew_12

Chew_12 Working

City, State:
    Chandler, AZ
    '93 XLT
    My x was given to me by my parents, and I love the thing... I take good care of it, but I am a little rough off road.

I would suggest a Civic..there pretty cheap and great gas milage.

12. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Red Bluff, Ca
    1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
    Yeah.. I'm not into the whole 'the kid won't take care of it unless he buys it' deal. Responsibility is a trait which is (or isn't) embedded into the kid's head waaay before he's sixteen.

Anyway, I'm proud to say my Dad bought my first truck for me, as well as paid the insurance, etc. And guess what? I grajiated wit honers! :p Actually, he bought it so he wouldn't have to drive me around anymore. :D

13. hilhi2005

hilhi2005 Member

City, State:
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    04 Mounty V8 AWD
    The problem with the older hondas is that they have only become really safe in the last 1-2 styles. Depending on how much you want to spend, (5000$ ish is what my parents spent) you might want to look in to the Linkin Mark VIII or a T-bird, they are pretty good with gas, and are a full size car, with a full frame, so they are safe, because I know from experience that the steel around you can be more important than the ABS or air-bags. An older X is always an option to.

14. hilhi2005

hilhi2005 Member

City, State:
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    04 Mounty V8 AWD
    Just another idea, a Crown Victoria, again, full size, decient gas mileage.

15. xmodster3o3

xmodster3o3 Active Member

City, State:
    Ontario, Ca, USA
    91 XL
    I was given my X when I got my licence, my dad just gave it to me and said to take care of it. I have since maintaned the x , painted it, done the few mods it has, intake, exhaust, glow gauges, sound system, tint. It was given to me pretty much run down and I have since bought it back to looking new. I for the most part spend all my money on the X to imporve it.
    I say buy her a cheap car and see how she treats it. Also see how she drives, if she gets any tickets or crashes don't buy her something new. Use the cheap car as a test car see if shes gratefull.
    Here I can get a cheap car for about 25 bucks at the local auction, if she does take care of it well I say get her something a lil better to get though college at least.
    I hope this helps if not I was drunk while writing this "I got a ride home and the X was alsleep in the backyard". :chug:

16. config

config Active Member

City, State:
    Layton, UT
    '96 XLT
    Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking of helping her get an old Honda or Toyota. The back of my mind also says giver her the X but I still love the vehicle too much. I'd get another one but 3 SUVs is a bit too many. Maybe I should drive the old Honda or Toyota I get.
    Man.....decisions

17. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
    San Jose, Calif
    2003 sport trac
    Wellcome to the world of sleepless nights while the kid is out driveing.
    Whatever you get her will be fine.
    I suggest for your piece of mind she also has: a cell phone, a AAA card or other auto club membership, an education as to how to check fluid levels and a tire gauge and how to use it.
    The above is most important when they go off to college IMO

18. IAmTodd

IAmTodd 4x Explorer Veteran

City, State:
    Johnstown, PA
    2001 Jeep Cherokee
    Make her pay for most of it. That way she'll apreciate it more. I don't think its right for you to buy her a car, and I also don't think its right to make her pay for a car entirely. With that said, Toyata.

19. youpey

youpey Member

City, State:
    ewing nj
    04 Rx-8
    my first couple of cars were t-birds and that was very important because some jack ass blew a stop sign and then stopped in the middle of the road when he saw me coming. I was doing 45 and smashed right into him. my car was trashed but i didnt get a scratch...to explain the severity of the crash my cars frame was bent in 4 or 5 places and the axel in his truck was ripped off. A person in a honda or toyota would have been seriously hurt or killed. Accidents happen and sometimes cant be avoided like in my case...give her something safe and say screw economy, i may not be here today if it wasnt for that car

ps i bought my sister a new pickup truck for her 17th birthday...she crashed it 2x in a month totalling 30k in damage, so you may want to only help and not buy it. her latest car she pays for and she takes very good care of it

20. odxtoxic

odxtoxic Active Member

City, State:
    Windom, MN
    '00 Merc. Mounty
    i was given my explorer by my parents...and i treated it very well (up to the accident)

then i was given a mounty...and i treat my mounty better then i treated my explorer, and some of my friends who own their own cars treat them like absolute shet, and they wonder why they dont run??

i think if you get her something nice, she will respect it, also get something heavy, all the kids who have died around here in accidents have all died in small cars, all the others stay alive who have SUV's

with in the last year 2 kids in cars have died, and 3 in SUV's have lived (including myself), and like i said, give her something nice that she can respect, instead of hate

21. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
    I say help her get a job and then she can buy a car.