1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

What's gonna go wrong next?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by JT in MD, December 29, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. JT in MD

JT in MD New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 XLT 4.0L
    Ok, here's the deal.. .I've got a 2005 XLT 4.0. I bought it used, 3 years ago w/ 30000 miles. It now has about 50000. I got a pretty good deal on it and KBB is still a decent amount above what I owe on it...

Anyway, I'm not a 'diehard' Explorer owner like some of you. I really enjoy it and have gotten great use out of it, but the $$$ that I've had to drop into repairs is starting to piss me off. For example (off the top of my head), I've had the harmonic balancer replaced, replaced the alternator, repainted the roof and now the front wheel bearings are starting to make lots of noise.

Two part question - 1) What's gonna crap out next? and 2) When is enough enough?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Germantown, MD
    1998 Ford Explorer
    Too hard to tell.
    That's relative, only you can answer that since you know your situation and tolerance level.

4. JCR

JCR Active Member

City, State:
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    2002 XLS
    Can't begin to tell you what might go next. I have a 2002 XLS and have had the trans rebuilt, timing chains and cassettes replaced, water pump, thermostat housing, fuel filter, all four wheel bearings and have the cracked rear panel. I bought my Explorer brand new and have 106,000 miles on it. I would not trade it for anything unknown. I will keep her until the wheels fall off!

5. nebexplorer

nebexplorer New Member

City, State:
    Omaha, NE
    2003 Explorer XLS
    JCR- Don't forget about the constant diff whining, blend door actuators, recirculation doors, and the hinge that holds the rear glass...

JT in MD- Treat her well and you will love her like your first born...

6. jakedrew

jakedrew Active Member

City, State:
    wisconsin
    04 xlt
    I say blend door actuator or rear end whine. :)

7. Cozmik

Cozmik Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Kitchener, Ontario
    '07 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
    I did wheel bearings 3 times, tie rod ends twice, thought about repainting my delaminated and rusted roof, questioned why i was getting 25 litres/100km and finally traded it in (2005 v8 EB). All this in less than 3 years. Got a 2007 Jeep JK Unlimited, love it.

That said, my wifes 2003 XLT has has had 1 wheel bearing replaced in almost 4 years and just works. You never know whats gonna happen. I've had 3 Jeeps now, 1 sucked balls, 1 rocked, 3rd I've had for a month so jury is still out.

Figure out your tolerance and budget for bs and go from there. Best advice I can come up with. Good luck with whatever you decide, as with any make it seems thats whats going to help you, luck.

8. JT in MD

JT in MD New Member

2005 XLT 4.0L
    Figured I'd give this thread of mine a bump... not surprisingly, it only took a month to answer my question.

I've got a leak coming from the area of the front differential - it's in the shop now and they're gonna let me know the cause.

Last week, when the handles were iced over, I ripped the rear left passenger door handle right off.

Probably gonna trade in for an F150 or Silverado - I've had enough of this thing!!

9. Exproblems

Exproblems Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Orchard Park, N.Y.
    '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L