whats normal idle rpm's for a sohc? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whats normal idle rpm's for a sohc?

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
what normal idling range for a sohc? my truck sits at about 600 rpms in park and between 500 and 600 or so in drive (at idle.) is this normal? im pretty sure it is, im just asking to be sure.

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's where mine's been for 3 years.

sweet, thats what i thought, for some reason im just second guessing myself. i think my subconscience is looking for problems with my truck, heh.

anyone else?

Both my '97 and a friends '98 SOHCs run 642 RPM per my OBD-II scanner.

After looking at a scan I have at work, my SOHC was idleing at 771 RPM with the coolant temperature at 188F. I didn't look at the conditions for when I was at 642, but I do remember it was within about 5 minutes of starting it up. The specs call for 750-830 RPM on a warm engine. Many times I have seen 650 or so though, but never paid attention to whether or not it was when my engine was warm or not though. Regardless, 500 RPM is too low.

My 97 and 01 are also there...

Originally posted by Robert
Both my '97 and a friends '98 SOHCs run 642 RPM per my OBD-II scanner.

After looking at a scan I have at work, my SOHC was idleing at 771 RPM with the coolant temperature at 188F. I didn't look at the conditions for when I was at 642, but I do remember it was within about 5 minutes of starting it up. The specs call for 750-830 RPM on a warm engine. Many times I have seen 650 or so though, but never paid attention to whether or not it was when my engine was warm or not though. Regardless, 500 RPM is too low.

well, its really more like 600, but still...what should i do? i mean, when it comes to something like this, im clueless.

thanks.

I seriously doubt your (or anybody's) tach is callobrated exactly from the factory. It could very easily be that the tach is off a hundred or so RPM's. Afterall, it is just from a production line. If you don't notice any problems, don't worry about it.

A little paranoid about problems after the accident are we? :)

Originally posted by yob_yeknom

A little paranoid about problems after the accident are we? :)

nah, ive always been like this ;)

youre right, though. im sure its not completely accurate from the factory; i know so many people with a factory tach in their gauge cluster, and then an aftermarket tach right on the steering wheel. i mean, this is on some "crazier" cars that friends own, but theres a reason for it.

the thing is, when im at a red light, itll sit at 600 rpms, and once in a while, itll dip down to 500 for, like, 2 - 3 seconds - not often, but i do see it sometimes, so thats something i wanna look into.

at first, after the accident, i wanted to give up on vehicles, but then, i did a total 180. im not just back to my old ways of playing with vehicles, but i really wanna take care of all that crap on/in my truck that has always bothered me - even all those little rattles and vibrations. believe it or not, poking around with some free time on a saturday afternoon yielded more stuff that i expected, heh. if the idle is low, fine, as long as the truck runs good; im finally gonna mount those switched like alphasylum has and run my radar detector to them; im gonna make a really nice gasket for my superchip to keep moisture out; cd changer with mp3 capability; cargo liner (nice one); new windshield (i have stone chips in it, decent sized ones); spekerphone setup for my cell phone, blah blah blah, i could go on for hours with all the crap i wanna do - nothing major, just a TON of little stuff.

wow, i really just typed a lot; i didnt mean to stray from the idling thing, heh.

Back