What's this called?

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
The Durango stock radio scrolls the station name, band, and song playing. What's this called? Why don't aftermarket (ie. Alpine) stereos have that capability?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its the Radio Data System. Newer Explorers have it too. Although mine only displays the station name.

The factory Mach 460 system in my '04 Mustang had RDS, and it displays the station name, the artist name and the song name. Most of the new factory systems have it.

Why don't aftermarket stereos support it?

huskyfan23 said:
Why don't aftermarket stereos support it?

My MP3 Pioneer Does it, It scrolls the, Artist, Track Number, Cd Name, and Song, and sometimes the total time....

When listening to the radio I'm saying.

I think what all options displayed is also dependant on the Radio Station and their equipment.

My '98 does it. I can also choose what I want it to show. Name, title, station or it will show commercials. I was playing with it one day and it started showing info about a local McDonalds that advertises on the station I was listening to.

I'd bet the aftermarket high dollar radios do. I really like the factory sterring wheels radio controls though. I wish an aftermarket radio was available in the same size as our stock radio, with the advantages of our stock radios. Good luck,
DW

There are double din aftermarkets, just not too many. I've got the top of the line Alpine and it doesn't support RDS. I hear the European versions do.. And you can retain your steering wheel controls, talk to BBQ_Hotdogs about that.

my pioneer 7300dvd did, also depends on local station, only one did, in nashville mkt

huskyfan23 said:
There are double din aftermarkets, just not too many. I've got the top of the line Alpine and it doesn't support RDS. I hear the European versions do.. And you can retain your steering wheel controls, talk to BBQ_Hotdogs about that.
That is correct. I bought the kit, very small with wires and stuff, but I still use it with my 98 Explorer and an Alpine HU. Worked great too. That reminds me of something else that I need to get to and remove before they come to haul it off. I guess I should be selling that also. Dang so much to do and so little time to do it. LOL.

But they DO make things to keep the steering wheel controls and put in an aftermarket radio and it changes the volume, channel, AM/FM to XM to CD and on and on. That is the mode button and then the channel button still works also. Like I say, as soon as I can, I will remove mine and sell it too. Glad I saw this and was reminded to remove it.

Back