What's this material called | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's this material called

Does anyone know what this material is called. It's rock solid like they laid a sheet of of vinyl down then applied resin to it.

npjha1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rubber mat used at the factory Im not sure what its called but its a real PITA to work through

I thnk it's made of "butyl"

It's the sound deadening material applied to some body panels. It's softer when it's only a few years old, I worked with it in my 99 in about 2006, but it is fairly hard.

Yes. Sound deadening pad.

You can get it in squares and cut to match.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Need some to place around my door and the panel, and lift gate to cut back on wind noise. The OEM stuff has fallen apart and Ford discontinued it. The material in the picture is still made and used by Ford but for a 20" x 20" sheet its $69. Is it difficult to work with? Been thinking about Dynomax but that stuffs expensive too. I also made a trap door to gain access to my fuel pump under the rear seat so I need to deaden the noise their.

I think it is a transparent sheet of metal which is usually used by car mechanics.

Back