What's your explorer looking like today | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's your explorer looking like today

Wow you guys really have some nice looking trucks, I need to get to work.
98' 5.0 AWD 166k

IMG_20180527_160758481_HDR.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our gently used '95 acquired from a family member August '17. Currently nearly 65,000 miles. We added new shocks (5), radiator, hoses & T-stat, BFG's, Headlamps with bulbs and wiring harness, CB, plus various miscellaneous things. She's our daily driver!

Team TARDIS

20180404_184518.jpg

22050877_1898548680160988_1292407717_o.jpg

06.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the topper is on the white ex by centarus ? Is it accessible from the inside ?

Its just extra headspace to hold a tiny tv and some entertainment electronics.

This was a gift from my brother in 1996, then....

Replaced .water pump; Replaced hydraulic tensioners for timing chains; Replaced thermostat housing (leaking again); Replaced crankshaft position sensor; Replaced engine starter (x2); Replaced both tail light lenses; Replaced both steering linkages; Replaced front brake pads, calipers, rotors, and hose lines; Power steering flush; Brake fluid flush; Transmission rebuild; Replace radiator (x2); Replace coolant/wiper washer reservoir; Replaced wiper washer lines; Replaced horns (rust); Repair passenger side Rocker panel (rust); Replace fuel tank filler hose (leak); Replace fuel tank filler tube (rust); Replace front door hinge bushings; Replace front grille and headlights and brush guard (deer strike); Replace front bumper ( rust); Replace headliner; Replace heater valve (leak); Replaced battery and cables; Replaced starter (x2); Replaced vacuum lines and PCV valve; Replace upper oil pan gasket; Replaced PCM (****paid mechanic); Replaced master brake cylinder; Replaced brake booster; Repaired console lid and hinge; Replaced exhaust and muffler components (****paid mechanic); Replaced broken wheel lugs; Replaced both upper control arm and ball joints; Replaced both front sway bar bushings and linkages; Replaced rack and pinion steering unit; Replaced transmission cooler lines to radiator; Replaced fuel pump and filter (x3.... access panel added); Replaced front and rear shocks; Replaced rear shock perches (rust); Replaced rear bumper (rust); Replaced charcoal canister box with plastic version (rust); Replaced u-joints; Replaced rear output shaft seal; Replaced serpentine built; Replaced serpentine belt tensioner units (x2); Replaced engine fan; Replaced rear console fan; Replaced odometer (2x); Replaced various cluster gauges; Replaced fuel pressure sender unit ; Replaced interior bulbs with LED bulbs; Repaired 4x4 switch/bulb; Repair head light switch/bulb; Replaced rear cargo window seals; Replaced rear view mirror (x2... delete auto slider); Replaced windshield (x3); Replaced all power window motor bushings; Replaced all door latch strikers (pex material); Replaced rear hatch door striker posts; Replaced multiple electric relays and fuses; Repair cigarette lighter socket attachment in console and dash; Replace transmission shifter bushings; Replace transfer case unit (****paid mechanic); Rebuild 4.0 SOHC (****paid mechanic); Replaced transmission selector unit (**** paid mechanic); Replaced hood latch cable; Repaired side mirror control mechanism; Replaced all radiator hoses; Replaced fog light brackets (rust); Replaced fog lights with LED system; Add spot lights; Front differential fluid changes; Rear differential fluid changes; Spark plugs and wires ; Replaced stock radio (x2); Replaced broken springs on door locks; Replaced remote entry keypad; Replaced rear leaf spring shackles (rust); Replaced fuel canister purge valve; Replace transmission filters and flush transmission; Replace cargo door hinges (rust); Replace cargo door gasket; Replace bumper jack (rust); Minor rust repair on drivers side rear fender; Replace ignition lock; Replace cruise control switches; Add coolant to AC unit; Replace both front wheel bearings; Replace emergency brake pads; Replace fuel cap; Replace alternator (x2); Replace front wiper motor cowling; Replace wiper sprayer motor; Replace wiper fluid reservoir ; Replace and improve all vehicle ground connections; Replace hood supports; Replace cargo door supports; Replace front and rear shock absorbers; Replace cargo area carpet; Replace upper console; Replace IAC unit; Clean throttle body; Replace mass air flow sensor; Replace upper and lower intake manifold gaskets; Adjust PRNDL indicator; Repair headlight switch/ bulbs; Repair drivers seat tilt lever and seat trim; Sew patch on front seat; Paint all exterior trim; Replace radio antennae; Lubricate all window tracks; Replaced floppy exterior door handles; Replaced rear wiper motor (x3... finally used salvage motor); Replace neon third brake light with LED strip; Replaced license plate light sockets; Upgrade from OEM 15 to 16 inch rims; Repair rear axle and bearings (****paid mechanic); Repair blend door (****paid mechanic); Removed and pressure cleaned interior carpet); Replaced seat belt straps; Modified rear wiper arm to get full coverage; New fuel pump and filter (x3); Replaced snapped 5th shock absorber; Fusible link added to cruise control wiring (recall); Replaced drivers and passenger seats with leather seats; Repair driver's seat padding; Repaired drivers seat tilt lever; Sewed patch on drivers seat; Replaced upper CA's and lower ball joints; Replaced spark plugs; Replaced mass air flow sensor; Replaced broken jack handle; Painted roof; Deleted roof rack; and Deleted factory pin stripes.

So this is still a daily driver, snowboard hauler, cross country cruiser, boat tow rig, and obviously a hobby. At nearly 500,000 miles, most anything that has NOT been repaired or replaced was over-engineered.

ALMOST ALL OF THE ABOVE PROJECTS ARE BASED ENTIRELY OR IN PART ON HELP FROM THIS SPECTACULAR FORUM. THANKS AGAIN TO THE MODERATORS, AND THANKS AGAIN TO THE CONTRIBUTORS.

Thank you again, Ford Explorer Forum and Members!!!

IMG_0684.JPG

Wow your list is kinda like mine except the rust
My truck is rust free with the exception of the exhaust pipe but it is a hobby plus they just don't make things heavy duty like these 2nd and 1st gen explorers anymore

If you own an explorer you know it's never done lol
you are absolutely right lmao, just had a local shop replace my super fubar'd exhaust, did an awesome job and even asked for my input on what i was looking for and let me watch how he did the bends on the pipe and handed me a welding visor so i could watch the way he did the welds

If you own an explorer you know it's never done lol
you are absolutely right lmao, just had a local shop replace my super fubar'd exhaust, did an awesome job and even asked for my input on what i was looking for and let me watch how he did the bends on the pipe and handed me a welding visor so i could watch the way he did the welds

DSC_0078.JPG

Did you just remove your exhaust or work on your diff
It looks like you may have a leak on your pinion seal
Don't want you to have no oil in the diff hope it's not a leak

It's hard to find a shop that would let you do that however nice to learn by watching

Is anyone here cleaning under there trucks
If so how I want to clean under mine
The frame to

When I got it, about a month ago:
30420579_10160562475465107_4990662403555831027_o.jpg

And now:
35389359_10160743989975107_7484548823352606720_o.jpg

Yea I have been reading about project nasty

I’ll keep my eyes open for a set. We have some huge you pull yards here in Salt Lake.

@4rd Xplora I used to have almost a dozen of them, got rid of them though, couldn't find good used tires anymore.

Original when purchased March 2014, 133K miles.

C1dToUD.jpg

Now June 2017 176K miles.

FPolclJ.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back