• Register Today It's free!

What's your gas Mileage?

Dennis94XLT

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Hi - just got a 2005 explorer 4X4 V6. It is 7 months old and has 10, 600 miles on it. The dealer told me they filled the gas tank before delivering it to me.

The average fuel economy on the computer started at 4mpg and slowly but steadily climbed to 16mpg and has hovered there most of the time for the last 1/4 tank of gas. I have no idea why it started at 4mpg - but maybe someone at the dealer reset the information panel. The salesman was pushing the buttons trying to figure out what the buttons did and he could have reset something I suppose.
I refilled the tank today and it held 14.54 gallons. Since it's a 22.5 gallon refill capacity, that means I had 8 gallons left. That also means I was getting 8.9mpg if the tank was full when I got it (and the indicator did say it was full). I've had the truck two weeks and was off work one of them so I didn't go very far. Over all, since getting it, I drove 50% city and 50% highway and at all times, I drive very easily - never pushing it at all and never leaving rubber at the stop sign. The engine does have very good perfomance (contrary to what others have said about these later model explorers - and the transmission does shift well for being an electronic shift controlled system. The drive by wire system seem to work quite well too but my truck was built in March of 05 so the early bugs might have been fixed. Overall - aside from the mileage, I really like it.

I would sure appreciate other opinions about this along with what you know your gas mileage is if you have a 2002 to 2005 V6 with either the 2 wheel drive or the 4 wheel drive setup. The manual says 15mpg city and 20 highway is what I should get. I did check the tires - they are all between 35 and 36psi. There are no leaks.

Thank you - I hope to hear from some of you on your opinions of your gas mileage).

Also - does anyone know what would cause the average MPG to be at 4mpg when I first got the truck? Does disconnecting the battery cause it to start at a low number while the engine calibrates? The truck had some sort of dealer installed tracking system in it that was removed, then the gas tank filled - all while I was finishing the paperwork.

Dennis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with my 2002 i just did a major tune up and can barely get get 14 and that is if i am driving it like an old lady..

I have a 97 awd v8 and i recently put bg fuel injection cleaner and additive in. I just filled up tonight and if my calculations are correct I am getting 13.18mpg. I do tend to drive it like i stole it sometimes. Last fill up was 13.3mpg. In the summer I was getting 15-16mpg. Maybe the drop could be related to the additives that are put in fuel during the winter??? Maybe I need a tune-up????
Maybe your fuel gauge is broken??

Thanks

I'm glad to hear you're getting that mileage. My 94 XLT that I just sold has 103k miles on it and it was easily getting 16 mpg all the time. That might be a good selling point for Mobile One oil... I used Mobile One in that truck from day one and when I sold it - it still had just as much engine power as the day I got it. Maybe I can improe the mileage a bit if I use it in this new truck. Something has to improve the mileage or it will be back on the lot. I like it but not enough to live with 9mpg that I got with this last tank of gas.

By the way - change of subject - is there a way to turn off the seat belt chime that nags me if I don't buckle up before turning on the key? I'd like to leave the circuit on so it does remind me if I drive off with it unbuckled, but it bugs me chiming before I've moved the vehicle. I feel it's my decision what order I start and buckle up - as long as I do it before I move - that should be fine.

Thanks again,
Dennis

In city I get barely 15mpg and highway I have seen 18mpg. If I don't baby it I can easily get way below 15mpg city. I think last winter i got like 11mpg or so. Don't know if it was the cold or truck needed tuneup, but I will see again this winter.

I got around 19mpg and a little over 400 miles on the tank. Seems like it gets better gas milage when my wife drives it.

Mine's a 2wd 2002 model with a v-6

I recently took a trip and I pumped the tires up to 40 psi. I filled the tank just before getting on the interstate and again as soon as I got off the interstate. I got 24.8 mpg. I drove around 65-70 mph most of the time. After driving around in the Smoky Mountains for a couple of days, I filled up again and was getting 16 mpg.

I usually average around 18 for everyday driving.

I have a 04 XLT V6 2wd. On the average I get 18 city driving and 21.8 Hwy driving.

Hi Dennis,
I'm in San Diego also. I have an '02 EB v6 4x4. I usually get between 15 to 18 mixed driving (my hwy/city commute). I have gotten up to 20 on the hwy for extended trips. Lately milage seems low, it could be the winter fuel. I'm also running Bama chips performance tune and I have gotten better milage with the economy tune. I think the 4x4 knocks down the milage by atleast 1 mpg, which I regret since I have liitle need for it. I am wonder/confused by how you're determining milage, you stated you "started at 4mpg and slowly but steadily climbed to 16mpg". If the the milage was reset and the vehicle was running in Park for an extended period, that would give you a very low "starting point" for your milage. I have found my indicated MPG to be amazingly accurate. I have owned other vehicles that were always very "optomistic" with their indicated milage. I reset mine with every fill-up.

Good luck, as they say "your milage may very"!

Tim

I have a 2000 XLT V6 SOHC. On the freeway without pushing the car, I get about 16 mpg. In the city with constant stop and go traffic probably about 12 mpg. Not a pleasant performance considering the price of gas!

I have the '04 V8 AWD. 13mpg city, 18mpg highway. I would agree with Tim, the milage drops 1mpg for 4wd and another 1mpg for AWD option and 1mpg for A/C.
I too have reset the milage in park and yes its low. Your burning fuel without moving thus the low reading.
Jim

jrford said:
I have the '04 V8 AWD. 13mpg city, 18mpg highway. I would agree with Tim, the milage drops 1mpg for 4wd and another 1mpg for AWD option and 1mpg for A/C.
Jim

I have tested the use of AC on gas vs gas mileage ( on a '99 SOHC ).

The results show no difference. Its cool to be cool; and cost you nothing.

i have an 05 V6 explorer. im getting around 13.2 on the message center. i do mainly highway driving which means that im getting sh!tty mileage. i was avaeraging 16 all around in my 03. it was a V6 as well.

pimp03explorer said:
i have an 05 V6 explorer. im getting around 13.2 on the message center.

What are you getting when actually calculating the mileage?

Either the message center is malfunctioning or you have issues with that motor that need evaluating.

Good luck .....

aldive said:
What are you getting when actually calculating the mileage?

Either the message center is malfunctioning or you have issues with that motor that need evaluating.

Good luck .....

im getting about that. i calculated it twice and got around 11.2 mpg with 20's on and 13.5 with stockers on. right now im running stockers and have a 13.2 reading in the message center. ive noticed that with this vehicle im getting much worse mileage than my 03, as stated above. i might ask the dealer what all might be wrong with it and if perhaps they can take a look at it. after i added my intake my mileage went up .1, but thats all. i had a heavy foot the first few days after installing the intake, but i reset my message center after a week of having the intake in.

I have a 1996 ohv sport and I get 245 miles to the tank. I have a 14 gallon tank, so that roughly about 17 miles gallon.

pimp03explorer said:
im getting about that. i calculated it twice and got around 11.2 mpg with 20's on and 13.5 with stockers on. right now im running stockers and have a 13.2 reading in the message center. ive noticed that with this vehicle im getting much worse mileage than my 03, as stated above. i might ask the dealer what all might be wrong with it and if perhaps they can take a look at it. after i added my intake my mileage went up .1, but thats all. i had a heavy foot the first few days after installing the intake, but i reset my message center after a week of having the intake in.

Its either your driving style or you have issues with the motor/truck.

Good luck ......

riverst said:
I have a 1996 ohv sport and I get 245 miles to the tank. I have a 14 gallon tank, so that roughly about 17 miles gallon.

no you have a 17GAl tank there buddy..lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 V8 AWD getting around 13-14 so the computer say thats in the city havent taken it on any road trips

Back