What's your gas Mileage? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's your gas Mileage?

My 05 XLT 4x4 runs (highway) 23.5 mpg @ 65mph, 21.6 mpg @ 70mph, 20.4mpg @ 75mph. I'm set on cruise when I took these numbers.
My city numbers are between 12.5-14.5mpg.
I have installed a K&N air filter and get Premium fuel from Shell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dennis94XLT said:
By the way - change of subject - is there a way to turn off the seat belt chime that nags me if I don't buckle up before turning on the key? I'd like to leave the circuit on so it does remind me if I drive off with it unbuckled, but it bugs me chiming before I've moved the vehicle. I feel it's my decision what order I start and buckle up - as long as I do it before I move - that should be fine.

Thanks again,
Dennis

Yes...it has this info in the owners manual....it involves a few steps with key in the ignition and a couple other assignments to get this off....

My Mileage 32 mpg

Hi I am new to this form, I just got back from a little trip distance of 148.9 miles used 4.66 gallons. That works out to 31.95 Miles per gallon. I drive a 2002 XLT with 4.0l V6 and 3.73 gears. This trip was on flat land in Minnesota very little wind and hot. I was using the AC and cruse the whole time. I have tire minders that tell me if the air pressure is low (I keep the tires at 36PSI).
No changes have been make to this truck, just like it came out of the box.

^ Way to kill the mood!..j/k...congrats

01 5.0l awd average mpg around town is about 18 almost never drops bellow 17 and has been as high as 20. Averages about 21-24 highway with cruise my area is very hilly and I commute up into the mountians often. I am also not a very conservative driver.

Cold Air Intake,Taylor Performance wires, Autolite Iridium Plugs, Amsoil Motor oil, 39 psi tires.

20 miles per gallon. 4.0 V6 50K miles

with my '03 x/xls, 110k, I get 20mpg, with mostly highway driving. I can get as much as 21, but I have to try hard to get less than 20 in warm weather. Winter is another story....sometimes 17mpg.

I'm getting right around 20mpg on my 2002 Explorer with everything still completely stock and tire pressure at 35psi. Working on trying to improve that now.

96limitedX said:
no you have a 17GAl tank there buddy..lol
Ouch! :D

I get about 13 in the city with my 91, but I have a 6" lift and 33's. I did a road trip a couple weeks ago and got between 17 and 18 running 65 or 70 most of the way. I have also been using acetone in the gas but have not noticed a real difference. Also, I don't know if it makes a difference but I have a 2000 OHV motor with 91 electronics.

My '02 V8 4x4 with 48000 avg's 17 mpg

Greg_guy said:
Hi I am new to this form, I just got back from a little trip distance of 148.9 miles used 4.66 gallons. That works out to 31.95 Miles per gallon. I drive a 2002 XLT with 4.0l V6 and 3.73 gears. This trip was on flat land in Minnesota very little wind and hot. I was using the AC and cruse the whole time. I have tire minders that tell me if the air pressure is low (I keep the tires at 36PSI).

how did you actually compute you used 4.66 gallons? if you are talking about tapping off, in such a short trip when you refill, you might have not put in to the same amount level as you did prior to the trip. you might be surprided to know alot of people go by this and think "wow...i did either good or bad" based on that method. anyways...

Greg_guy said:

lucky you since my 2002 gets about 13 MPG.

aldive said:
I have tested the use of AC on gas vs gas mileage ( on a '99 SOHC ).

The results show no difference. Its cool to be cool; and cost you nothing.

Mythbusters says differently

I use the website www.atlantagasprices.com and track my fuel purchases by price, gallons, and mileage. That gives me accurate mpg year round. I get around 18.5 during the winter months, which dips to about 17-17.5 during the summer. I supposed that is AC usage. Recently noticed mpg dropping and thought it needed a tuneup, turns out that my tire pressure was low.

I run tires at 35 psi, I might give 40 a try to see what that does.

I get 15-16 mpg around town with my 96 V8 AWD. I haven't checked it on the highway.
I get 8.5-9.5 mpg while pulling my travel trailer. That really sucked on the 1200 mile trip last year.

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 V6 and I get 13mpg city to 20mpg Interstate. It all depends on how you drive. Edited to include that I have the 3.55 rear end.

Howdy,

I've had my 03 sport trac about 8 months and have been getting around 17 mpg avg, for city/highway driving... I've been calculating my fuel every few weeks and its been about the same, provided I'm not trying to bury the gas pedal or my fiance drives :D ..lol

I'm hoping once I get some new plugs, wires and fuel filter I'll get it a little higher...

Btw, I'm a newbie to the forum, and proud owner!! :thumbsup:

I have an 04 4.4 XLT V6 3.55 rearend SOHC totally stock. I got 18 on one tank and 17 on the other with a bit more city driving.

I think the 3.55 vs. the 3.73 rearend is an important factor. When you post your milage please check the following items.

V6/V8
2WD/4x4
3.55/3.73 rearend
City/Highway miles
Year

These factors really make a difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

davidmmm69 said:
lucky you since my 2002 gets about 13 MPG.

Either you drive to fast or there is something wrong with your truck. My 2002 XLT V6 is getting about 19.6 Mpg after I replaced the stock tires and before that I was getting 17.9 Mpg.

Back