What's your gas Mileage? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's your gas Mileage?

Hi-
My 02 V6 4x4 with towing option gets about 18 mpg combination in town and highway. On trips I get beween 22-24 mpg depending on how fast I go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This maybe old news to some of you guys, but I am convinced that where you gas up ( meaning state to state ) has a major diffence in the mpgs your going to get. My '98 Mountaineer gets 16 mpg on the average here in New York. last year I drove down to D.C. and got 18 on the way down after filling up in NY. On the trip home I filled up in Maryland and got about 24 mpg. Thought I figured something wrong because it went back to the 16mpg after gasing up at home. A few weeks ago I did the DC trip again, and got the same results. Like I said maybe this is old news , but I figuring there are differnt additives, and impurities in the gas from state to state. Has anyone else found this?

GSpan said:
This maybe old news to some of you guys, but I am convinced that where you gas up ( meaning state to state ) has a major diffence in the mpgs your going to get. My '98 Mountaineer gets 16 mpg on the average here in New York. last year I drove down to D.C. and got 18 on the way down after filling up in NY. On the trip home I filled up in Maryland and got about 24 mpg. Thought I figured something wrong because it went back to the 16mpg after gasing up at home. A few weeks ago I did the DC trip again, and got the same results. Like I said maybe this is old news , but I figuring there are differnt additives, and impurities in the gas from state to state. Has anyone else found this?

Interesting.

I have purchased gas in Florida, GA, SC, NC, TN, AL and have noticed no significant difference.

17-18 combinded, 20 country

2002 Sport 4x4, 4.0V6, don't know rearend, but 2000rpm at 60mph, 89k odo, 31ps front, 36psi back tires.

Last 4 or 5 tanks have been 19 to 20 in combined driving, but lots of freeway. No a/c, and taking it easy, rarely over 65mph. I think I have seen over 21mpg once with this Sport. Warm weather helps mileage, winter, don't even ask about mpg(Minnesota).

From expirience, I think driving 70mph+ will drop mileage at least 10%.

I had a 93 Sport 4x4, 4.0 V6 and got 22mpg once, and 21.5mpg 5 or 6 times while on highway, but usually about 18-19 combined with lots of freeway.

I think the 2002 gets better overall mileage, but I have seen 22mpg yet with it.

For those who run 40psi in tires, watch the expansion cracks in the curves, or you may be taking a trip in the ditch.

The 16.8 gal tank in the 2002 is a p.i.t.a, anyone know what happened to the 19.2(??) tank from the 1993?

Dennis94XLT said:
Hi - just got a 2005 explorer 4X4 V6. It is 7 months old and has 10, 600 miles on it. The dealer told me they filled the gas tank before delivering it to me.

The average fuel economy on the computer started at 4mpg and slowly but steadily climbed to 16mpg and has hovered there most of the time for the last 1/4 tank of gas. I have no idea why it started at 4mpg - but maybe someone at the dealer reset the information panel. The salesman was pushing the buttons trying to figure out what the buttons did and he could have reset something I suppose.
I refilled the tank today and it held 14.54 gallons. Since it's a 22.5 gallon refill capacity, that means I had 8 gallons left. That also means I was getting 8.9mpg if the tank was full when I got it (and the indicator did say it was full).
Also - does anyone know what would cause the average MPG to be at 4mpg when I first got the truck? Does disconnecting the battery cause it to start at a low number while the engine calibrates? The truck had some sort of dealer installed tracking system in it that was removed, then the gas tank filled - all while I was finishing the paperwork.

Dennis

I am amazed that people are still asking questions like this.

First, dont base your MPG on your first tank full. It should be done with an average of at least a few. Different driving conditions alter the average. Highway/city, speed, stops, tire pressure, wgt load in truck, wind resisitence, clogged air filter, gas quality, etc etc.
Start from a full tank. That means, you have to fill it the same way each time. Stop at the first click or second. Don't keep filling it till you see gas coming out the neck.
Also, if you take a trip on one fill up, dont base your MPG on city miles the same. You will see a difference. Driving around 65 is better than 75 or 85. Driving with cruise control is better because its a constant speed. With city, multiple stops and accellerations lowers your MPG.
Last, your 4 mpg was because your system was still analysing your mpg. Don't bust a blood vessel over it. Its not saying you are getting only 4 mpg.

I average around 17 MPG in the city, 22 on the highway. Mine is a 2002 XLT 2wd with stock parts. Nothing special added. Hope this rest your mind.

Some people will get less because they drive differently or have or dont do regular maintanance or they have added special parts. Everyone will be different. What matters is what you are getting based on how YOU drive and KEEP your truck.

GSpan said:

sorrybut unless it is a different blend ethanol/menthanol/corn/87-89-92/ or whatever, gas is gas. Different state are required to have certain gas blends to meet EPA regulations. Dont think there is a conspiracy out to lower your mpg across state lines...lol

I always got 12-15/16mpg. Ever since I had the CEL with P420 (I think) come on, I get 18-19mpg!!! Also it helped that my drive to work now is 15 mls instead of 7mls, but I don't know if that would make that big of a difference!!

Last week I broke my personal record and got 20.5mpg I had some Highway driving in there... I just put in a K&N filter. I wonder if that helps as well!

daprez1963 said:
sorrybut unless it is a different blend ethanol/menthanol/corn/87-89-92/ or whatever, gas is gas. Different state are required to have certain gas blends to meet EPA regulations. Dont think there is a conspiracy out to lower your mpg across state lines...lol
Well here is the conspiracy. The gas companies are going to charge what ever they know they can get away with plain and simple. This speculation crap absolutely pisses me off :fire: Why is it when Israel bombs Lebanon, people start to worry about crude? Nobody has stopped production. :rolleyes: Sorry got a little carried away. I recently did a road trip and went 260 miles on 3/4 of a tank. That works out to about 17.3 MPG. I think it will be more because I am running 33" tires with 3.73 gears and a speedo calibrated for 3.55 gears :confused: Anybody want to take a poke at that? :D

Hi - just got a 2005 explorer 4X4 V6. It is 7 months old and has 10, 600 miles on it. The dealer told me they filled the gas tank before delivering it to me.

The average fuel economy on the computer started at 4mpg and slowly but steadily climbed to 16mpg and has hovered there most of the time for the last 1/4 tank of gas. I have no idea why it started at 4mpg - but maybe someone at the dealer reset the information panel. The salesman was pushing the buttons trying to figure out what the buttons did and he could have reset something I suppose.
I refilled the tank today and it held 14.54 gallons. Since it's a 22.5 gallon refill capacity, that means I had 8 gallons left. That also means I was getting 8.9mpg if the tank was full when I got it (and the indicator did say it was full). I've had the truck two weeks and was off work one of them so I didn't go very far. Over all, since getting it, I drove 50% city and 50% highway and at all times, I drive very easily - never pushing it at all and never leaving rubber at the stop sign. The engine does have very good perfomance (contrary to what others have said about these later model explorers - and the transmission does shift well for being an electronic shift controlled system. The drive by wire system seem to work quite well too but my truck was built in March of 05 so the early bugs might have been fixed. Overall - aside from the mileage, I really like it.

I would sure appreciate other opinions about this along with what you know your gas mileage is if you have a 2002 to 2005 V6 with either the 2 wheel drive or the 4 wheel drive setup. The manual says 15mpg city and 20 highway is what I should get. I did check the tires - they are all between 35 and 36psi. There are no leaks.

Thank you - I hope to hear from some of you on your opinions of your gas mileage).

Also - does anyone know what would cause the average MPG to be at 4mpg when I first got the truck? Does disconnecting the battery cause it to start at a low number while the engine calibrates? The truck had some sort of dealer installed tracking system in it that was removed, then the gas tank filled - all while I was finishing the paperwork.

Dennis

Dennis,

I just picked up my 2002 limited V8 from the dealer this week, and my mileage also started at around 3 MPG, the thing is this, at the dealer, they disengaged the battery, this reseted al the averages, and since the truck is driven in the dealer only for parking purposes, the MPG´s are very low (lots of gas, very little miles) so this is perfectly normal.
I got mi first tank, got to the highway and after 10 minutes, i was averaging 23 MPG, and after 2 days of veeeery heavy traffic ( you know how latin american big cities work) i´m around 14.

I hope this helps!!

Using your AC does decrease your milage. I have always believed that. My mother and wife for years forced me to turn on the AC when its bearly hot hot. LOL :)

And my proof is, "Myth Busters" on the Discovery channel tested that Myth, that running your AC does not decrease MPG.

Sorry, I got deep issues with that Myth! :)

Racnmasn

I mean barely not bear ly LOL

SORRY GUYS!!!!!!!
I WAS JUST TRYING TO SEE WHAT MILAGE THESE Explorers get I'm GOING TO PURCHASE ONE SOON. SORRY FOR THE HIGH JACK STUPID REPLY, I JUST HAD TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST!!!!

WTF! 42 MPG: Falling off a cliff! (Thanks Aldive) A BIG ONE.

I could get 42 MPG in my 1993 explorer on the highway.

:confused:

I have a 94 Eddie Bauer EX with 223+K. I get 15 (After CEL and before PCM Reset) up to 22.47 MPG on Hwy. I'm still trying to get 23 MPG bur never have. :(

I got 24 or 25 on one tank of gas with my 93. I think that was downhill with a tailwind, tho.

Still get around 17 or 18 I think, maybe 19 or better, depending on how much highway driving. Low was 14 or so pulling a trailer cross country.

Using your AC does decrease your milage. I have always believed that. My mother and wife for years forced me to turn on the AC when its bearly hot hot. LOL :)

And my proof is, "Myth Busters" on the Discovery channel tested that Myth, that running your AC does not decrease MPG.

IT depends on your speed......

===============================
Windows down vs. air conditioning

"Urban puzzle": it is more efficient, on a hot day, to run with the A/C on and windows up than to run with windows down (b/c of increasing car's drag).

Computer-based mpg measurements:

* 11.7/11.8 with A/C on and windows up
* 11.7/11.8 with A/C off and windows up
* 11.3 with A/C off and windows down

So, according to the computer, it's better to use A/C with windows up.

This was too quick and easy for TV, so they decided to stage a seven hour marathon, race-til-you're-empty duel, with Jamie driving an SUV with A/C on and Adam driving an SUV with windows down. Though, once the safety inspector intervened, it was no longer a seven-hour marathon, it was a bit slower (45mph instead of 55mph), and a lot shorter (only 5 gallons each).

Jamie's A/C car ran out of gas first -- Adam's windows down SUV ran for another 30 laps -- completely contradicting the computer mpg estimate. Computer estimate based on air flow into the engine, so it would appear that it is unable to properly model the difference between A/C and windows down.

the MythBusters concluded that using AC was more efficient than opening your windows to cool down. However, they quickly admit that they were wrong to make such a hasty confirmation. In fact, they find that over 50 mph, you're better off with your AC on, but slower than that, open your windows.

=========

I have an '03 XLS and I get 20mpg in the summer. If I really milk, it I can get 21. In the winter (I live in upstate NY with severe winters) it varies between 15-17.

OK, roll windows up problem solved. I keep saying its not HOT out. LOL Put the vent on and save gas. Plus, wife will never drive with the window down.

Racnmasn

JUST KIDDING AROUND!!!!!!! ;) Don't take me to serious...

Is this the lowest yet? (Very low mpg).

It's been getting so bad on my 02 monty awd v8 that I've thought of trading it in for 03 expedition 4x4 5.4 to offset my mpg. (9.5 WOW!)<--Monty:confused:

P.s I drive normal so don't flame me.:p:

on 90%gas 10% booze mine gets 18 to 20 mpg on the road loaded with wife , kids etc ...with no wind and 70 ish temps and running 65 to 70 mph ....recently ran it in 4wd at 60 ish speeds with high cross winds at about 0 degrees and snow covered roads ...didnt check the mileage and was scared to ...ya could watch the gas gauge go down .

brad

I have an '02 limited v8 and I get 21 mpg hwy and about 18mpg avg.....I get about 400 miles per tank

2004 Xlt

Bought Ex in Dec. 2007. Got just over 20 mpg driving it back to Canada from Kentucky.

I drive about a mile and a half to work and have been using the remote car starter as it has been cold and lots of freezing rain the last month and have been seeing about 12 mpg.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 05 4.0 V6. I USED to get about 18 & 20/21. Now that I have 265/75s, it's more like 15/16 & 18. For a tank, which has a lot of city & highway mixed and me babying it, I am lucky to get 16 out of a tank. To those that told me the tire upgrade was negligable, they either don't pay attention or don't care. I dropped about 3 miles/gallon. I used to get WELL over 350 miles/tank - sometimes close to 400. Now - I'm lucky to get 300!. Yikes.

Back