1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Wheel Base

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by CMcCormick, June 18, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. CMcCormick

CMcCormick New Member

City, State:
    New York
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    99 XLT
    So I am trying to get my tires to stand farther out, of course being 17 I don't want to go and buy a new axle or anything extreme like that.

I am thinking of buying 2 inch spacers to start with then what else can I do, I am planning on making my explorer ready for some trails and speed and figured a better wider wheel base will help in turns and not rolling over.

Any thoughts?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. danwaters

danwaters Active Member

City, State:
    Fallbrook, CA
    97 Explorer 5.0 limited
    Wheel spacers are hard on ball joints and bearings. They will severely decrease the life of moving parts up front. You can always go with an 8 in wide wheel and you will add about two inches of track width. Wheel base is the length of your vehicle from center of front hub to center of rear hub.

4. CMcCormick

CMcCormick New Member

City, State:
    New York
    99 XLT
    yeah, my apologies for the incorrect term usage, couldn't really think how to describe it, I just want that wider look.

5. UtahX

UtahX Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    2000 Explorer XLT
    I believe negative offset on the wheels will stick them out further, the bigger the number the more they will be out.

6. danwaters

danwaters Active Member

City, State:
    Fallbrook, CA
    97 Explorer 5.0 limited
    The negative offset is exactly that, negative meaning inset from 0 offset. An 8in wide wheel with zero offset will push your track out a little over an inch per side. A 8 in wheel with a -19 say for instance will yield a slightly narrower track width.