• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Base

CMcCormick

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
So I am trying to get my tires to stand farther out, of course being 17 I don't want to go and buy a new axle or anything extreme like that.

I am thinking of buying 2 inch spacers to start with then what else can I do, I am planning on making my explorer ready for some trails and speed and figured a better wider wheel base will help in turns and not rolling over.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I am trying to get my tires to stand farther out, of course being 17 I don't want to go and buy a new axle or anything extreme like that.

I am thinking of buying 2 inch spacers to start with then what else can I do, I am planning on making my explorer ready for some trails and speed and figured a better wider wheel base will help in turns and not rolling over.

Any thoughts?

Wheel spacers are hard on ball joints and bearings. They will severely decrease the life of moving parts up front. You can always go with an 8 in wide wheel and you will add about two inches of track width. Wheel base is the length of your vehicle from center of front hub to center of rear hub.

yeah, my apologies for the incorrect term usage, couldn't really think how to describe it, I just want that wider look.

I believe negative offset on the wheels will stick them out further, the bigger the number the more they will be out.

I believe negative offset on the wheels will stick them out further, the bigger the number the more they will be out.

The negative offset is exactly that, negative meaning inset from 0 offset. An 8in wide wheel with zero offset will push your track out a little over an inch per side. A 8 in wheel with a -19 say for instance will yield a slightly narrower track width.

Back