Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Wheel bearing repack schedule / frequencies

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by malcolmzilla, September 18, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla New Member

City, State:
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1992 XLT 4 door
      Hey Folks,

How often do you re-pack your front and rear wheel bearings?

While lifting/building my Explorer I had to take my front end apart to do the ball joints (prior to this I had never taken the front end apart myself, but now figure that I should become quite familiar with it in order to do my own servicing / repairs)

The seals and bearings seemed good (I had them serviced a while ago, pavement use only), and I didn't have a seal / bering puller, so I simply re-assembled everything once the ball joints were done.

Last weekend, I was in the mud/water, definitely deeper than the hubs, so I am going the pull the front hubs / spindles / bearings apart and check the seals and repack them all this week.

Some sites recommend doing this after every run in the mud /water that goes over the hubs? Seems a lot of work!

How frequently do you folks do them, front and rear?

Also, should I use water resistant bearing grease, and if so, what do you recommend?

Any advice would be appreciated!
      Thanks.

Malcolm

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. PekingMan

PekingMan Active Member

City, State:
      Tempe, Arizona
      1993 XLT 4x4
      malcolmzilla,
      While I don't have an answer to your question, I am going to be doing the same thing this weekend while I put in manual hubs. I was curious, though, how hard was the front end to take apart. I just want to know what I'm getting into and are there any special tools required?

4. malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla New Member

City, State:
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada
      1992 XLT 4 door
      The hubs are relatively easy, check out the articles here or @ therangerstation.com for instruction and photos.

The Automatic hubs require a 2 3/8" hex tool for the spindle nuty, about $20 CDN but may be a special order. The manual hubs, at least my Warn ones, use a standard 4 prong 4x4 hub tool on the locking spindle nut conversion, or you could re-use the factor hexnut but I hear it is prone to working loose so the WARN or Ford locking nut conversion is $ well spent.

The hardest part is fishing out the key in the slot on the spindle when removing the factory hex nut, you MUST DO THIS BEFORE removing the spidle nut or you'll gobber it all up and not get the rotor/hub off. Again, this is all detailed @ therangerstation.com or even in the Chilton Explorer manual.

Other than that, maybe a seal puller to get the inner spindle seal off and the inner bearing out of the hub, although you can maybe use the spindle locknut in the spindle to pull the bearing race and seal.

Hope this helps.

5. Moford

Moford New Member

City, State:
      Burlington, Iowa
      1992 Explorer
      I've struggled with my front wheel bearings for a couple of years. Although i didn't find them difficult to get to or repack, I foolishly assumed that because the specs only require about 16 in lbs of torque that i could do it without the 2 3/8 in hex socket. I don't know where to purchase the hex socket but i know i'll need it to replace the bearings again this season. Anyone know how to obtain it?

6. malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla New Member

City, State:
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada
      1992 XLT 4 door
      Special order from your local auto parts store, or Ford dealer.

7. Techmonster

Techmonster Active Member

City, State:
      St. Cloud, MN
      94 Limited
      Actually many parts stores stock the 2 3/8 socket that is needed to get the nut off. if you ask and guy behind the counter that konws his stuff he will know what you are talking about. OTC makes them, LISLE tools, and a few others i can think of, its pretty common.

8. m00npie

m00npie New Member

City, State:
      New York, NY
      96 Explorer Sport
      Just to give you an idea of the price..

Craftsman 2-3/8 in. Socket, 12 pt. - $22.99
      3/4'' drive

Snap-on Socket, Shallow, 2-3/8", 6-Point - $167.00
      1'' drive

9. biggs92EB

biggs92EB Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Biggs, CA
      92 Special Eddie
      Ive done this job on my X at least 5 times. You can buy the socket at any Napa - it fits an array of vehicles spindle nuts. chevy and ford at least that i know of. it takes maybe 30 minutes a side to repack bearings. Ford actually recommends marine grade high temp bearing grease. it helps believe me! other than that i have never been able to get my spindles off and there is a little bearing in there that should be greased. One day i'll give it a try again, untill then im gone wheelin :D