Wheel bearing replacement on awd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel bearing replacement on awd

Scarlett

Reaction score
Replaced all 4 wheel bearings in the last year. Just replaced a fifth wheel bearing this week and now have another one going out.

Has anyone else experienced premature failure of replacement wheel bearings.

What's the root cause here? Low quality parts, poor installation? I like my mechanic, he has performed dependable work in the past.

Replaced all 4 wheel bearings in the last year. Just replaced a fifth wheel bearing this week and now have another one going out. Has anyone else experienced premature failure of replacement wheel bearings. What's the root cause here? Low quality parts, poor installation? I like my mechanic, he has performed dependable work in the past.

Do you curb it or hit any speed bumps regularly?

It wouldn't hurt to find out exactly what kind of bearings he used to replace them; and if he replaced just the wheel bearings or the whole hub assembly. Many times mechanics will order the cheapest (and more inferior) parts to help keep their profits up.

I recently replaced my front bearings with 2 brand new hub assemblies made by Timken and am very happy with them. They take A LOT of abuse. I did them myself in my driveway and took about an hour each; I took my time though.

Good feedback. I've looked at the hub assemblies but was not sure if these were superior to just replacing the bearing. Hate to more than what is needed.

Anybody have long term feedback on the reliability of the hub assemblies?

Brand is not timken as mechanic said he experienced premature failures. Cannot imagine they were less reliable than I have just experienced. They would have to be bad right out of the box.

No hard use either. Truck has 170k on the first bearings.

Good feedback. I've looked at the hub assemblies but was not sure if these were superior to just replacing the bearing. Hate to more than what is needed.

Anybody have long term feedback on the reliability of the hub assemblies?

Brand is not timken as mechanic said he experienced premature failures. Cannot imagine they were less reliable than I have just experienced. They would have to be bad right out of the box.

No hard use either. Truck has 170k on the first bearings.

Timken is a very popular aftermarket brand, and I have heard (and experienced) nothing but good things. I would recommend replacing the entire assembly. I've read about several others having issues after just replacing bearings. Plus the labor cost to change just the bearings would be much more than just the 3 bolts to change the entire assembly....

Back