Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

wheel bearing?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by jcraft, July 14, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jcraft

jcraft New Member

City, State:
      Buffalo , ny
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      02 limited
      Hi all,

New to this forum. I have a 2003 limited Explorer with 57,000 miles on it. Recently it developed a hum when you reach about 50 mph in speed. If I turn the wheel sharply and quickly it goes away for a split second then re-appears. Also, last nigh the wife was driving and noticed the ABS light went on and off about three times. This has never happened. I am leaning towards one of the wheel bearings as they are known for this. Please advise if this sounds like it could be the problem and how do you further tell which one it is. Also, i would like to attempt as a DIY project. I have done some work in the past on vehicles such as change brake pads/rotors, pull caliper brackets off and change tie rods. Any thoughts how difficult this is and if any special tools are needed. Also, steps to remove/install and tips if not to involved. Thanks for the help

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Birmingham, MI
      '10 Sport Trac
    4. 1AJeremyD

1AJeremyD Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Mass
      95 XLT 4.0
      Welcome to the forum! I would say this is really not that hard. If you have done a break job, all you would have to do from there is remove the bolts holding the wheel bearing in and you are all done.

5. jlsparky7

jlsparky7 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Woodhaven, Mi
      1996 5.0 XLT AWD
      The bearing job can very depending on if your vehicle is 4wd or 2wd. Check out the youtube link in my signature. I have a bunch of how tos that may help.