Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Wheel Caps

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Iram, September 22, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Iram

Iram New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2013 Explorer XLT
    Has anybody else lost their wheel caps? I have a 2013 XLT with about 8500 miles on it and noticed 2 weeks ago my right rear wheel center cap was gone. I figured it must have fell off or somebody wanted it really bad. Two days ago I noticed the left rear wheel center cap is now gone. No, I don't drive it like I stole it, so excessive speeds, drifting, burnouts, etc. is not the issue. Could this be a possible recall issue to modify the caps so they don't fall off?
    :usa:

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome top the Forum Iram.:wavey:
    I have been on this site for over 2 1/2 years and this is the first post regarding this issue. In addition to my 20" OEM wheels, I have a set of Base model 17" wheels as well for Winter and have never come across this so I can't see that it is really a problem. Are you sure that someone hasn't pried them off?

Peter

4. glenndi

glenndi New Member

City, State:
    Crawfordsville , Indiana
    2013 Explorer XLT 4WD
    My 2013 Explorer XLT 4WD has lost 4 this year. Although I am not sure, could have been all 4 that it cam with. Definitely both sides and the last 2 were off of different wheels on the passenger side. We ordered and took delivery on June 28, 2013. I suspect that the batch of Center Caps was defective.

Glenn

5. rmp301

rmp301 Active Member

City, State:
    Yonkers, New York
    2012 Explorer XLT
    Had the truck inspected and the oil changed as well as wheel rotation. When I was getting in it I noticed a black smudge on wheel and mechanic wiped it off. He said they applied adhesive to all the center caps as they tend to fall off when driving. Never heard of it, but apparently there is some truth to it!