Wheel/tire/lift/air bag Advice for a new owner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel/tire/lift/air bag Advice for a new owner

connerman15

Reaction score
City, State
HAMLIN, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 mercury mountaineer
Hi everyone!!!! Just picked up our new (to us) 2001 mercury mountaineer premiere!!! 5.0L AWD and fully loaded... just over 98k miles...we will be using this to tow a small camper then just as a general 3rd vehicle... door sticker says stock tire size is 255 70 16... it currently has 235 snow tires so I'm looking to get some new tires (and I was hopeing wheels but those are proving very hard to source locally used). What are your thoughts and opinions? I dont want rubbing or having to run spacers... I was contemplating the tt and shakle lift but I dont want to ruin the comfort and ride... should I size the wheels to 15s and get tires.. run bigger tires on my stickers (if so suggestions of size or brands) also for towing should I look into some airbags for the rear to help with the sag (I assume it's going to have some, it seems to sit a bit lower in the rear than in the front currently) any thoughts opinions suggestions would help greatly I appreciate it in advance!!! I'll post some pix when I get home

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Typical the ride quality on these is fairly poor due to the torsion bars suspension. The TT will use up down travel and will effect it. If you add shackles it’ll probably level it out.

Airlift makes a light duty “bolt in” kit. I custom adapted a kit for the F150/full size Bronco. I liked the bags, but carried extreme tongue weight (well over 1,000 pounds).

What kind of weight is the camper? How far will you be towing it?

You can run 15’s or 16’s. Both are common enough for size and will ride about the same.

Tires will depend on if you are going to run one type all year, or dedicated winter tires. For a solid all season with a good load capacity I’d get General Grabber ATXs. Great wear and great snow traction.

Thanks guys and gals!!! Yea the trailer will be prolly 5000+/- slightly... I will be using a wd hitch also just thought like u said a light duty bolt in bag kit may not be a bad option... I could potentially sell off the snows that are on the truck and just run 1 tire all year (we do get alot of snow here in western ny) any suggestions where to look for wheels and or tires... tirerack doesnt even give me an option for 16inch wheels or tires for mountaineer so I have to select an Eddie bauer explorer to get that option....

Get a larger transmission cooler. You’re also gonna need a brake controller. That’s a lot of weight. The Mounty will pull it, but you surely won’t be winning any races.

I’d make sure the rear axle is full with 75/140 (fairly common for them to leak) and I’d change the transfer case (dextron/mercon, not Mercon V like the transmission).

Yea upgrading tranny cooler is first on my list regardless and I will definitely look at and prolly change all fluids... 98k miles prolly time for a tune up too since Idk when it was last done... anything special in should use for the tune up? Here's some quick pix b4 it starts to rain again... ignore the FoSt learking in the background lol

20190515_170849.jpg

20190515_170911.jpg

20190515_170902.jpg

20190515_170931.jpg

It’s due for plugs. Stick to factory Motorcraft stuff. If doing the wires be very careful to match the factory routing.

I was at Walmart and saw a couple tires on the rack.... 245 75 16 and 265 70 16.... would either of these work? If so which would yall reccomend? They are both bfgoodrich rugged terrain t/a and it's like 450 mounted and balanced...

Both should fit. The 245s would be just over 30”, the 265 would be about a 30.5”. 31x10.5 will fit most trucks without cranking the torsion bars up.

Back