wheeling around Marysville ca all alone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wheeling around Marysville ca all alone

trozei123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT 4x4
I'm not sure if this thread goes here, but i would like some advice on three things. Just a few months ago, i got my 4x4 system working on my 92 ex. Repaired the transfer case shift motor with the bushing mod, changed out transfer case fluid, front diff fluid, and cleaned both front auto hubs out and regressed them. Was not able to do the rear diff unfortunately. Took it out to the river bottoms nearby and tried the 4x4 for the first time. It was incredibly fun. i want to do more now.

Now for my three issues.

1. My funds are very tight, so my ex will probably remain stock with the possible exception of trying to get slightly bigger tires. Does anyone know how to get about a 1in lift just with tires? I was thinking of just getting 16 in rims and putting on some basic sized tires. Would that work? Also, is it bad that i haven't changed the rear diff fluid yet? I don't know when it was last done.

2. And also 3. Since they both go together. My biggest two issues are where to go offloading and who with. I do not have friends and really don't want to repeat past experiences and have new ones. I would like to take my fiance and son, but on that first run, she got extremely scared and almost had a panic attack. She said she will never go with me again and doesn't want our 3 year old son to go either. I'm hurt and lost. The only close places i found that are semi close are prairie city ohv park which is about an hour and a half from me, and the poker flat trail, also about an hour and a half. Does anyone know of places that may be closer? Anyone have any experience at those two places, and could a bone stock ex handle them? Any tips on trying to convince the misses to come with me and let my son come too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know prairie city and am up there 2-3 times a year.

It's an ohv area with a training grounds you can use. Their website should have the info on events that are coming up.

Metalcloak usually has a playday or 2 up there which is a jeep parts company but they want everyone to come out and have fun.

Maintenance not done will usually be your issue when you need a tow truck ;)

As for your Mrs.', you are on your own on that one...I always suggest when taking a significant other out on trail for the first time, going out of your way to make it the greatest experience they can have. 8-10 times it works and the 2 it doesn't don't like camping to begin with. If you please them, it's easier to buy parts and gear for future trips.

Hopefully others will chime in too..:)

Wheeling alone (without another vehicle) in a stock 24 year old truck is not a good plan, even worse if you're not experienced.
But if you're going to do it, be prepared by expecting to get stuck or break down, and plan accordingly. Bring tools, tow strap, AAA card, etc.

On the tires, if you want 1" of lift, you'll need tires that are 2" bigger diameter than the ones you have now. Rim size doesn't really have anything to do with it.

You really need to either put some serious maintenance into your truck, or find someone to go with. As RangerX said, there is a very good possibility something could happen, and leave you stranded. At the very least you will need some recovery points ( hitch, front tow hooks) a high lift jack, two good straps. I'm not sure what the terrain is there, but a few short section of 2x10s, and something to lay on can be very handy. I'd bring some compression fittings in the size of your hard lines for your brakes and transmission lines, and various fluids.

Always take way more water than you think you will need. Wheeling alone is always risky. I've done it and had some great times. Also, had a few tiring, long nights, and I always had reinforcements I could call in if the worst were to happen.

Back