• Register Today It's free!

Wheels get stuck 4x4 issue?

rtamjbp

Reaction score
City, State
pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xlt
A few weeks ago i noticed that the wheels were getting "stuck" while reversing out of a parking spot... also happened while turning slowly into or out of a parking spot in D. Assuming it was the TC motor we removed the 4x4 fuses 17 & 18 until we could replace the motor. After replacing the motor and the fuses we drove normally for a day until it started again. Yesterday we had our first snow of the winter so we replaced the fuses to take advantage of whatever 4x4 we had avail and it seemed to be stuck in 4x4 high and would not go into 4x4 low at all. Would this mean that it was my Control module all along? If so i would have to replace the PCM so I'm hoping there will be another option. Also I am concerned that I read on here that 17 &18 are both 20a fuses while my 18 is a 20 but my 17 is a 5a..... could this be the issue? I was also reading on here that there is a 3rd fuse for the 4x4?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The last time I had wheels jam up in reverse, it was a brake issue. Had to replace the calipers and rotors at that point.

The last time I had wheels jam up in reverse, it was a brake issue. Had to replace the calipers and rotors at that point.
Happens in drive as well but only on slow cornering

"Reset" the PCM yesterday and upon startup truck was in limp mode... cleared codes with the scanner restarted the truck and throttle was ok but with 4x4 fuses in place wheels still got stuck... removed fuses and drove fine.... knowing this explorer does not have a separate 4x4 control module what would the next step be?

Can your scanner read for speed sensor codes? Could be one of them is telling the PCM a wheel is slipping, so it goes to 4WD to compensate.

I think 17 and 18 in battery junction box are both 20 amp fuses. What does the fuse chart in your owner's manual say?

Can your scanner read for speed sensor codes? Could be one of them is telling the PCM a wheel is slipping, so it goes to 4WD to compensate.

I think 17 and 18 in battery junction box are both 20 amp fuses. What does the fuse chart in your owner's manual say?

The owners manual does call for a 20 in 18 and a 5 in 17 so thats ok....

Im now realizing that when the fuses were in and wheels getting jammed it was on dry road... when it seemed stuck in high it was when we were in the snow but the wheels didnt get jammed then either.

Back