Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Where did you mount your antenna?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by LowdPypes, January 20, 2003.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. AlaskanJack

AlaskanJack Elite Cabin-Fever Captain

City, State:
    Centralia, Washington
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    91 , 93 & 01 Sports
    If you remove them you break the copper contact that is stuck to the window as I discovered when I checked them out. Nope thney are definitely not for remote start. A coaxial slips into them, but 3. That was not sounding right to me. It also has an external cell antenna that is attached to the rear quarter glass.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ld50

ld50 Oh, the money you`ll blow Elite Explorer

City, State:
    British Columbia
    93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
    :eek:
    I thought it would be colder there! ;) You just in a tee shirt today?

So do you have like three coaxial connectors hanging down under you dash then?

Which leads me to ask the question: how do people hook up dual (or more) antennas to their cbs?

4. AlaskanJack

City, State:
    Centralia, Washington
    91 , 93 & 01 Sports
    I don't know and it confused me as well how to hook up multiple antennas. No coaxial hanging down just the jack under the antenna it looks like what a stock radio antenna wire would hook into. Ya know with the jack and then it pressure fits into the hole. I'll get a pic tomorrow at work and that might do more.

5. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    '93 XLT
    Weird little antennas

Alaska,

Best bet, analog 800 mHz cell phone antennas. The previous owner probably used the Ex as a mobile office. In the early days of analog cell service, to avoid stiff roaming charges if you travelled a lot, folks got two separate cell phones, (or 3) if they moved through different cell co. service areas. It was more economical if you used a lot of time to do it this way. The 3rd antenna may have been for a mobile fax. Used to be you couldn't fax over regular cell phones, and you had to get a whole separate set up. You still see a few cars with 3 antennas on them around here. They just never removed them.

6. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Vancouver B.C, Canada
    1992 XL Ex-Police
    In big rigs, which have dual cb antennas, there is a splitter adapter that screws into the back of the CB, and seperates the jack into two seperate jacks....It can be bought at truckstops....

I have seen all sorts of weird antenna setups in Ex-police Explorers......Double ended radio jacks, flat cables, dual antennas.....Even my X had handfulls of wires I could literally pull out from under the dash.... :D :eek:

7. AlaskanJack

City, State:
    Centralia, Washington
    91 , 93 & 01 Sports
    Well maybe it was for cell phone, but there are 3 of those on the inside of the glass and then there is the standard exterior glass mount larger cell antenna. I would have expected to find some additional wiring maybe. I am going to research this a little more.

8. mikeinpa

mikeinpa Member

City, State:
    Clifton Heights, PA
    91 Explorer XLT 2WD
    Maybe the pieces sticking out horizontally are actually for a ground plane since they are attatched to glass and not metal? the vertical one would be the radiator ( part connected to the center conductor on the coax). If you look at antennas on roof tops there is a vertical element and smaller horizontal elements. Judging from the connector Im gonna guess cell phone or maybe police scanner.

9. AlaskanJack

City, State:
    Centralia, Washington
    91 , 93 & 01 Sports
    Here is a pic of the two rear ones. I was wrong in my first explaination of them. There is a round piece sticking down, plastic. It appears as though something clips on to it. No plug in what so ever. [​IMG]

10. mikeinpa

mikeinpa Member

City, State:
    Clifton Heights, PA
    91 Explorer XLT 2WD
    Judging from the pic it looks like each one of those have a connector on top? I see a little shadow in the center of each one that looke like a connector. A pic from outside (through the glass might be helpful). My guess is that the coax was run under the trim molding above the doors to the rear hatch and dropped into those boxes (cant remember the name for them) from above to avoid having them dangling from the bottom. I had a 2 meter ham antenna that looked similar but they can be made for just about any use...ham, cb, cell phone, scanner. Looking through the rear window from outside there should be a metal plate on each one. They are glued on with rear view mirror type adheasive to the inside and the othe piece gets glued to the outside (the part that radiated or recieves the signal).

Let me ask you this...What was your intended use for these? If you have the pieces that mount on the outside they can probably be used for just about any RECEIVE ONLY application. If you plan to transmit you need to have a antenna that was tuned (ie the right langth) for that application. If the outside pieces are missing then they are pretty much useless in my opinion, Unless Im totally wrong about what these things are :)