Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

where does the "auto antenna" wire go?

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by MrShorty, October 6, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      The radio (Profile am/fm/cd) in my BII has gone out. The last time it did this, the 0.5 A fuse in the "auto antenna" wire blew. This time, the fuse holder broke. When I went to replace it, the wire on the "truck" side of the fuse just pulled through. I don't know what it was hooked to, and I can't find a candidate. What am I looking for when it calls for an "auto antenna" wire? It isn't the main antenna cable, because I can see that coming in and plugging into the radio. And the truck doesn't have a powered, retractable antenna, so it isn't going to some motor. Any help?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      Since you don't have a power antenna, the wire should be taped off, and not allowed to touch anything else. I guess it touched a ground before, and blew the fuse. This time, it might have shorted before the fuse, blowing the radio.....:(

4. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      '97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
      it connects to either an auto antenna, or to the Remote plug on an amp.
      with an auto antenna, when you turn the radio on it moves the antenna up. When it's hooked to an amp, it turns the amp on when the radio gets turned on.
      basically an on/off wire.