• Register Today It's free!

Where is my IAT sensor?????

scorgnetic

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
I have a 99 sport and my wonderful Haynes manual sucks and says that the IAT is on the intake piping but I sure as hell dont see it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I don't know if your 99 has the IAT built into the MAS. On my 96 it's a small sensor that plugs into the air intake tube. It has 2 or 3 wires coming off in a harness and the butt of the sensor is about as large as a nickel.

I am going to try the add a resistor trick but if the IAT is in the MAS then it looks like I'm screwed.

If you put a resistor in series with the IAT, then will you see dificulty when the outside air is colder then what you set the IAT to read?

I would not do the IAT resistor "power" mod. Just looking for trouble.

Try a 100k resistor. This should register about 20F outside temp and should theoretically increase timing and fuel to compensate. I did this on a 98 Cobra I use to own and noticed about a 1 mph increase in the 1/4.

What I did was take a .5 watt(I think) 100k resistor and put prong connectors on either side with shrink tubing to cover the resistor. I then cut one prong off the two prong connector and bent the resistor assembly into a U shape. I unplugged the IAT sensor and plugged in the resistor to complete the circuit.

I would strongly recommend against doing so. By lying to the EEC, it will end up calculating several different functions incorrectly, not just timing. The right way to do that is get a chip or custom tuning to give you the same gains without giving your computer false information.

At best, it might work under certain conditions. At worst you could damage your engine. I don't recall if your particular motor has a knock sensor, but if not the risk is much higher.

a 98 cobra does have a knock sensor, so it can pull timing if it detects knock.

Chips basically 'lie' to the computer as well.

A resistor only costs $1.50 and can easily be removed if one doesn't like the results.

Yes the DOHC Cobra has a knock sensor but it doesn't work quite as well as you think.

Back