Where the heck is the coolant going?! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where the heck is the coolant going?!

I meant have you tried the K &W in this motor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Exploder fans, here is the latest:
1. Put in a bottle of K-seal. Let the beast idle for 15 minutes then drove for 15 minutes both at speed (65 mph) and quick acceleration.
2. The next day (5/24/18), 180 mile trip about half at 55-60 and the other half at 75-77.
3. Following morning...about a quart low on coolant but with nice shiny copper flakes all floating around.
4. Yesterday was the return 180 mile trip.
5. This morning...about a quart low on coolant and the copper flakes floating.

Thoughts? Try another bottle?

I wouldn’t bother. If it’s still circulating, it would fix any leaks that are small enough.

Years ago in my shop i would use a fluorescent coolant dye and black light for leaks like this. There are dyes that you do not need the light. Leaves a yellow-green trail.

1. Put in a new bottle of K-seal Ultimate. Let the beast idle for 15 minutes then drove for 15 minutes both at speed (65 mph) and quick acceleration.
2. The next day (5/24/18), 180 mile trip about half at 55-60 and the other half at 75-77.
3. Following morning...about a quart low on coolant but with a nice shiny copper plug just below the radiator cap.
4. The return 180 mile trip was a few days later.
5. This next morning...about a quart low on coolant and the copper plug again!

What gives?!?!.

I was chasing a coolant leak, also. In me search I found two cylinders down on compression, one from worn rings, the second from cracked head. I tried the K-Seal with no luck. Tore the engine apart, saw where the K-Seal attempted to seal the leak and replaced the head and gasket. While idling I noticed that coolant was leaking from my radiator cap but only when engine was really warmed up. I'm sure that while under load I was leaking a lot more coolant and it was being blown away and dried while I was driving.

My radiator cap is relatively new. I've got fluid being blown into the reservoir.

1. Put in a new bottle of K-seal Ultimate. Let the beast idle for 15 minutes then drove for 15 minutes both at speed (65 mph) and quick acceleration.
3. Following morning...about a quart low on coolant but with a nice shiny copper plug just below the radiator cap.
4. The return 180 mile trip was a few days later.
5. This next morning...about a quart low on coolant and the copper plug again!

What gives?!?!.
You have a leak that can’t be fixed with a bottled cure. Add coolant until the timing junk fails, then put in a different motor with rebuilt timing components, or consider getting a different vehicle when the SOHC gives up the ghost,

Back