where to buy bolt on sliders/bumpers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

where to buy bolt on sliders/bumpers?

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
I am wanting to gain some clearance on my ex, so I will be taking off the moulding on the sides. I'm not sure where to find those sliders that so many people talk about, or bumpers, whatever they're called. I want bolt on's, not ones that need welded, is there any good websites that carry them? Do we have any vendors here that carry these? I'm not really gonna be a rock crawler, I just want clearance, but I also want to have something on the sides so that it doesn't look lame.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there's a guy on the forum that has a bad ass SAS'd sport trac and i remember reading his write up he did on fabricating his own rock sliders. i dont think they make any REAL rock sliders for explorers that are bolt on. if you find some, please PM me with the link! most aftermarket running boards and nerf bars for X's arent real rock sliders and offer no protection. i see most people on the forum making their own and welding them on. plus, if you want rock sliders for real protection, you should have them welded on. good luck, and if you find any manufacturers that make bolt on rock sliders for explorers, please post the link.

I don't want rock protection, I'm not gonna rock climb with my explorer. I just want something different on there other than those mouldings that like to collect rainwater and promote rust. Running boards...that's what they're called ,thank you. Any good sites that have them?

ya gotta build them in most cases.

some guys look and buy jeep bars and modify them to fit the explorer

I made my own

DSCN2409.jpg

I'm not that mechanically inclined yet. I don't know the first thing about welding either. Guess there's a first time for everything. I guess I could always just take off the mouldings and leave it that way...

that's what I did, Im going to get some sliders though. You can always look around and find some one to build them for you. Probebly around $300 to $400 for a set.

Thanks!! Will check these out.

Would have to have someone weld them on though :)

...You can have pretty much anything welded at a muffler shop or tractor shops if you check around..

...These aren't jeeps so we aren't catered to with just bolt on stuff..:D

..The set in that thread is actually cheaper then you can buy the material for...

i think that maybe what you are looking for are some nerf bars, which are just side steps that are steel tubes with brackets on them. just google "nerf bars for ford explorers and see what comes up. good luck

What about Pottsy. He is still a EF vender. Check the vender section. I believe that he will make what ever you want.

Pottsy sells on Ebay. I have seen a lot of his auctions. He has some neat stuff for the older Fords. I have asked him several times to make some for us 98-up Ranger and he said he would one day...lol I think he really needs a loaner truck to work his welding fab skills.

Thanks Turdle. Are they're still for sale???? How much would shipping cost to 83634?? I could buy the other ones, that are really pretty cheap and have someone weld them on, wouldn't be too much I don't think.

If you want clearance, the best thing is to remove the plastic, and then actually hack off the bottom of the rocker panels front to back. Then you can stick sliders or whatever else up where the rockers were and they won't hang down.

Running boards, nerf bars, and even rock sliders that are put on regularly actually reduce clearance since they hang down below the body. Usually rock sliders are put on a lifted vehicle though, so the reduction in clearance is negligible and offset by the increase in protection.

They'd still be useful on a stock vehicle though, and a set of real rock sliders could be used as side steps, but would be way stronger than nerf bars or running boards.

They'd still be useful on a stock vehicle though, and a set of real rock sliders could be used as side steps, but would be way stronger than nerf bars or running boards.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like I need to make plans for this deal. If I want strength, gonna have to go with the sliders. Do you mean cutting off the entire bottom part of the rocker panels? Wouldn't that make the body less stable or is that where the sliders come in? I'm not looking to make my rig a rock slider.....I just want some clearance to where I won't get stuck if I do go trailing.

Back