1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

where to buy sheet metal?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by jgilbs, December 24, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jgilbs

jgilbs Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92 Eddie Bauer
      hey all, i am trying to build a center console, but im having the darndest time finding somewhere that sells sheet metal (pref steel) larger than 12" x 12" i need 3 ft x 6 ft for enough material. where would i go to find this much metal? home depot and ace hardware dont carry it.
      <----- edit: hey, alright, post #1,000!!!! so what does this mean? do i get some kind of metal or something? or maybe i just need to get a life

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      Try a local metal fabrication shop; they should have anything you need.

4. jasonb

jasonb Jackstand Wheeler Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Suwanee, GA
      '99 Sport 4x4
      i've seen it at some HDs and some Lowes but they are super expensive. Most suppliers won't sell small quantity like that. Best bet is like al said.. find some local welding/fab shops and see if they will sell you some. That's how I always get my metal around here. If you have a metal recycling center near you that is a good bet too. Many shops will let you get stuff from their scrap pile for next to nothing or free.