Where to Get Generic Function Module (GFM) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to Get Generic Function Module (GFM)

edougawa

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited 4WD
I’m working on converting the media control type steering wheel into the AUX toggle buttons. I have checked some sources and it said I might need the Generic Function Module (GFM) or an after market module like the Intermotive ISM.

I did some search online but couldn’t find either of them. Anyone know where I can get the parts? And possibly what else I will need for the convertion.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure if the ISM aftermarket device will work if the GFM wasn't already configured to work properly, it's a replacement which adds functions.

While I have a couple of the modules laying around I'd be willing to part with, and they plug-in to an existing harness behind the glovebox, there's some programming aspect missing that I haven't been able to pin-down, likely with the SCCM. I've tried both reprogramming a non-AUX SCCM with some of the different parameters, installing the SCCM from a SYNC/AUX-enabled vehicle, and changing values in the BCM, all without much success and a few error codes which required the changes to be rolled-back.

Beyond that, I did pin-down the values for the IPC module to enable the AUX display, which I mentioned in another thread, it's just a matter of figuring-out how to get the pathway established from the steering wheel module to the GEM.

I'm not sure if the ISM aftermarket device will work if the GFM wasn't already configured to work properly, it's a replacement which adds functions.

While I have a couple of the modules laying around I'd be willing to part with, and they plug-in to an existing harness behind the glovebox, there's some programming aspect missing that I haven't been able to pin-down, likely with the SCCM. I've tried both reprogramming a non-AUX SCCM with some of the different parameters, installing the SCCM from a SYNC/AUX-enabled vehicle, and changing values in the BCM, all without much success and a few error codes which required the changes to be rolled-back.

Beyond that, I did pin-down the values for the IPC module to enable the AUX display, which I mentioned in another thread, it's just a matter of figuring-out how to get the pathway established from the steering wheel module to the GEM.

I checked with intetmotive catalog and actually found two type of ISM, one of which is installed by replacing the OEM GFM module and the other does not require OEM GFM, instead it has an adapter connected into the OBD and require some programming (hopefully can be done by forscan).

I had searched through eBay and couldn’t find anywhere selling either of the ISMs. It might be too expensive to get it from distributor, if they are willing to sell it to individual at all.

It would be great if you can sell me the extras and I’ll try to figure out how to pin with it.

Update:
The installation instruction for the second type makes me feels like it’s a plug-n-play module (as it might simply read the signal from SCCM from the OBD port). And both type looks identical on their documentations. I think I can really give it a shoot by wiring it to the OBD and see if that works.

To clarify, I have a couple of the GFMs, from wrecked Interceptors. While I'd like to get my hands on one of the ISMs, I have yet to see one in the wild.

To clarify, I have a couple of the GFMs, from wrecked Interceptors. While I'd like to get my hands on one of the ISMs, I have yet to see one in the wild.

Oops, seems like I mis-understood. Do you have any pics of the GFMs? I have never see one so far and would like to see how it looks like (probably do an estimate to see if I can handle it). Thanks.

The part number is DU5T-3F856-AB. Here are a couple of links to eBay lots (disclaimer: neither is mine, but they have all relevant photos). The first one has the wrong part in the description. It is a "Steering Wheel Interface Module", but also called a GFM/GEM elsewhere.

Chassis ECM Steering ID BB5T-3G526-EA Thru Ee Fits 11-15 EXPLORER 48601 | eBay
2017 FORD EXPLORER POLICE 3.7L AWD #1 STEERING WHEEL INTERFACE MODULE OEM | eBay

I think the Utility one I have is in the vehicle I was trying to get it working in. The others I have are in two wrecked Interceptor Sedans, but they may be a different form factor and/or in a different location, I wasn't able to find them.

The part number is DU5T-3F856-AB. Here are a couple of links to eBay lots (disclaimer: neither is mine, but they have all relevant photos). The first one has the wrong part in the description. It is a "Steering Wheel Interface Module", but also called a GFM/GEM elsewhere.

Chassis ECM Steering ID BB5T-3G526-EA Thru Ee Fits 11-15 EXPLORER 48601 | eBay
2017 FORD EXPLORER POLICE 3.7L AWD #1 STEERING WHEEL INTERFACE MODULE OEM | eBay

I think the Utility one I have is in the vehicle I was trying to get it working in. The others I have are in two wrecked Interceptor Sedans, but they may be a different form factor and/or in a different location, I wasn't able to find them.

Thanks, I will check it out.

kobresia,

I wondering what step you having trouble right now? Do you get any input to the GFM from the SCCM?

kobresia,

I wondering what step you having trouble right now? Do you get any input to the GFM from the SCCM?

Where I was last at is that it wouldn't work at all, and a DTC registering improper voltage or an open circuit as it relates to the GFM. Since the GFM isn't a programmable module, and the module I was using is a known-good one, I think that means the fault is either that I missed a programmable parameter for the SCCM, or the Steering Wheel Interface Module/GFM and/or SCCM and/or steering wheel switch modules aren't playing nicely together. There's a lot going-on in the equation.

I have checked behind the glove box, but couldn't find any harness for GFM.

Since I already bought the unit from eBay (not sure if it works, but at least giving it a try), I will probably route it directly to the SCCM output and see if it works at all. (still have to check if I have the police type harness or the retail type. It will still save me tons of work if it comes with the police type harness but without GFM option).

The bottom line is, if I can pick up a workable signal directly from the SCCM output, I might workaround and build a board myself in case there is no way to get the GFM working (well, then no IPC indicators for the switches though).

Here is a picture of where to look. It is on the backside of the steel plate. If you have a PIU, it should be there.

IMG_0145.jpg

Here is a picture of where to look. It is on the backside of the steel plate. If you have a PIU, it should be there.

View attachment 173028

Found it, thanks for the pic. But isn't it connected to something else?

So now I got some DTC codes.
SCCM Code: B1380 - Steering Wheel Right Switch Pack
SCCM Code: U2101 - Control Module Configuration Incompatible
IPC Code: U1018 - Lost Communication With Generic Function Module

Trying to figure out what's happening.

UPDATE 1:
I rewrote the SCCM as-built data to factory settings, and SCCM is now responding to the seek/vol keys. But still having no luck to have the GFM working.

I have been logging the respond of SCCM from the OBD port, it seems like the SCCM didn't respond to the seek/vol key at all (while the keys of the left functioning normally).

Will update if I figured out more.

Think it just has a blank plug in it if not shipped with GFM

Think it just has a blank plug in it if not shipped with GFM

Yes. I just found it out today. Probably going to get the blank out so I can use it somewhere else

Hope you figure this out. Thinking about doing the same thing.

Some updates after spending whole day on the GFM.

I have checked the wiring and everything is good. The way the GFM works is SCCM output a signal (probably an analog one) to the GFM, triggered the output and the GFM send a signal via HS CAN back to the IPC so the corresponding switch could lit up on the panel.

Basically there are two problem I have encountered now.
1) With the seek/vol version, the SCCM is not sending out the signal to the GFM when a key is depressed. Instead, it communicate with the media module directly via HS CAN.
2) The IPC cannot establish communication with the GFM. I'm still wondering if the GFM itself is defective, or it might need the SCCM working first.

Seems like Kobresia already tried programming the SCCM. I'm working other ways and see which one works. I'd see if there is anyway to have the SCCM output the signal (hardwire?), or maybe I will pin down the signal in the HS CAN and find a way utilizing it (just like the intermotive module, read from the CAN directly).

UPDATES
I cleared the DTC from the IPC, which means the GFM is working fine now (communicating with IPC and SCCM). I have also disassembled the SCCM and checked the wiring inside. From the Ford maintenance diagram, it seems like the switches (AUX and SEEK/VOL) might indeed wired differently. Still working trying to see if I can get any luck to make it works.

Updates

Spent another few days on trying to have the aux button works, no progress.

If anyone has a PIU with AUX configuration, and willing to check it out, it would be pleased to post some photo of the harness and SCCM (behind the airbag) so we can do a comparison on the wirings.

It would be also great if anyone around the SF bay area has an PIU with AUX and wanted to have the seek/vol function. We can swap out the SCCM and the harness (maybe that’s the quickest way to do it).

Update 01/24/2020

I got a steering wheel with AUX option and plugged it in. The AUX switches are working now. BUT, I lose my cruise control completely...

Anyway, what I have did so far
1) change SCCM and IPC programming with ForScan
2) a GFM
3) a steering wheel with AUX option (although it’s from 2017, looks better, why not?)

Will check if I can bring the cruise control back online.

Back