Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Where to Mount a CB?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by PghBill, August 20, 2002.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Ranger Edge
    PghBill,

How's the CB instll going ?

I am now in the process of mounting my K-40 CB, real small unit, in my '95 Ranger. I am going to use the ashtray location because it is only taking up space. I will be making an aluminum plate to mount on the dash covering the ashtray opening and then mount the CB to the plate.

Power will be run from the battery because I will need extra power for my HAM also and a power outlet for other things. There is a power wire for the cig lighter in the ashtray area so I might try it to power the CB until I get the new power tap in the cab or maybe leave it if it works out.

The antenna is still up in the air but it will be a Wilson model, which one not sure... Running the coax will be a problem without a roll bar and the magnet mounts scratch up thte roof so I will need to look at this for a while.

Does the newer X's have a compartment in the general area of the ashtray to do something similar to what I will be doing?

Good Luck,

:usa: :chug: :ca:

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Big Bear Bob

Big Bear Bob Active Member

City, State:
    Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
    98 XLT /01 Dodge 1500 4X4
    I want to get a C.B in my X too, but How about using Velcro and the cigarette lighter for the power supply and a magnetic mount antenna.

I still like the idea of the hand held 5-watt walky-talky that radio shack sales TR-241, and mounting a magnetic antenna to that. But I asked in a post and most people didn't think that idea would really work that well even on the trail.

Last edited: September 4, 2002
  4. Digger196

Digger196 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Winston-Salem, NC
    98 Cherokee
    do what i did. look above for the link. you see nothing at all but the hand held. and by antennna is mag. that comes in the back. a awesome set up i think!!!!

5. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
    Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
    Digger196
    Is that a Cobra Hand Held? If it is I have'nt found one like that yet. The only ones I've fould look like a walky-talky, and have a small rubber ducky anntenna you can remove to and any other type of antenna you want like a magnetic mount, with the use of an adapter. I've seen some very small about hand sized radios that I've thought about, but what I saw in your pictures looked like everything was about the size of your palm, with the the key pad and everything right there is that right? and if so so do I get one?

Last edited: September 1, 2002
  6. becker69

becker69 Active Member

City, State:
    Centennial, CO
    01 Sport Trac
    3B; try these sights for the Cobra 75 handheld;

http://www.wearecb.com/mobile.htm
    http://www.palcoelectronics.com/pe90.htm

The model 75 is expensive but it has some awesome features in a nice package, so to speak...:D
    I know a guy who mounted it under his glove box, and cut a notch out of the door to his glove box so he could stash it in there when not using it (and not kink the cable). Good luck.

7. Soundguy01tx

Soundguy01tx Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Katy, TX
    1991 XLT
    I know this thread was asking about where to mount a cb in a 3rd gen, but I wanted to show where my antena (sp?) was mounted...

[​IMG]
    --bryan

8. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
    Douglas
    Thanks for the sites. I noticed a few that I am thinking about, the one at $69.00 looks like a good investment. But would kind of like a perminate antenna. I don't know how I could mount that though. So I guess a good magnetic is probably the way to go.

9. becker69

becker69 Active Member

City, State:
    Centennial, CO
    01 Sport Trac
    3B, Glad the sites may offer some help. Like I said about the Lil Wil.... You won't be disappointed with it, it is a quality unit at a good price. You may also want to give a look at some of the Refurbished Cobras or others. I bought a Refurb Cobra 29NWST for $65 and it would have been $115 or so new. I haven't had any problems and it came with a conditional warranty for 30 days. You can always use a mag mount, and stow the antenna somewhere flat in your truck (then use the allen wrench to plant it on when you want to use it). ;)

10. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
    There are some great prices on the refurbished models. They have the Cobra 29Ltd-wxd or Maxon 100wxd for $59.00 right now, normallay $169.00. I don't know but it sounds like the Cobra and Maxxon are the same radio just sold under different names. If that it then it is a great deal. I really wanted a black radio and already have a place picked out to mount it. But it will only be a temperory mount done with velcro,on the passengers dide of the center console.

By the way is SSB dead? I mean does anyone use it on the lower 40? They used to use 16 & 17 and above I think it used to channels 32 through 40, are there any channels on the regular 40 that people use SSB on anymore?

Last edited: September 29, 2002
  11. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
    Where can you get a good magnetic antena? Are they all just about the same or is there a big difference in them. I saw that Radio has them rangin from $19:00 and up.

Last edited: September 1, 2002
  12. PghBill

PghBill Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    97 XLT
    CB Mounting

Sandy,

Thanks for the interest. :) I got a spot for my CB - on side of console, passenter side - will probably tap into accessory port on side of console. Still looking for best way to route antenna for my tastes.

This will be my September project. I want to get it in for my trip to OBX beaches in October.

I want to again thank all for your ideas!:D

13. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    Triple B,
    Don't use a Rat Shack antenna unless it has a NAME BRAND on it, i.e., Wilson, K-40.

Rat Shack has their stuff built by quality suppliers but to their specifications and their specs are lower than the company making them.

Try a shop that sells CBs and you will find a Wilson or FireStik or K-40 or, or, or, just stay away from Rat Shack.

I find the Wilson line to be the best all around antenna systems. The Lil Wil works great as a temporary setup in my wifes vehicle and a back up for my Wilson 1000 & 2000 on my truck, well my old truck, just got another used truck and haven't finished the install yet.

Stick to a top manufacturer name brand and you should be OK. Pricing is in and around the $50+ mark for most antennas and I think thte Lil Wil, from Wilson, is approx $39. Not as CHEAP as Rat Shack but betterer...

Good Luck on your choises,

PghBill,

Try a temporary hook up for the power in the accessory terminal. See how much noise you get first nd then if it is all clear or at least close enough to your liking then hard wire it.
    I pulled the ash tray out of my truck over the weekend and started to build a plate to go over the area to mount the CB but the rain put an end to it.
    My garage is blocked with my latest project and I couldn't get the truck in, so a piece at a time will have to do.
    I really like the radio on the ceiling, but in the middle and down out of the way will work too. Only three knobs on this K-40 anyway so I shouldn't have any need to see it to turn knobs.

Good Luck on the install, take it slow and easy make sure the grounding wires (that is more that one) are in place and the antenna is match (less than 1.5 to 1) and everything should be OK.

14. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
    Well we bought the special of the month, which was a Cobra 29Ltd-wxd for $59.00.It's a little bigger than the radio I was thinking about at first, but the deal was just too good. I have to thank you all for the help and guidance you have given us. I am still thinking about Velcro and cigarette adapter so I don't have to cut up the truck. But if it's small enough I might mount it under the dash.

Thanks again

15. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
    Thanks for the info on the Rat Shack atennas. I don't know how good they are but I bout two Cobra antennas, one is a highgear 1000 the other is a Dual Platinum Series model #ATW-400. Sears was blowing out their C.B. equipment, and I got both for $10.00. It would be nice if one or the other was a decent antenna, but I've heard great things about their radios, but I've never heard anything about Cobras antennas.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: September 4, 2002
  16. becker69

becker69 Active Member

City, State:
    Centennial, CO
    01 Sport Trac
    3B; well I am sure it will work well for you.... at $59 that is really a bargain considering the bells and whistles on that radio! I know what you mean about it being a bit large, believe it or not it will probably seem even bigger when you recieve it in the mail. BUT; once you start seeing how it will fit in spots in your truck, you will realize that we actually have mor room in our Ex's than most think.!! Good Luck, now don't be shy about kickin' down some $$ for a quality antenna :D

17. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
    Douglas

Your right about the antennas, I figure I'll make sure just where I want the radio to stay, and in a while by a Firestick or K-40, I've even heard of some people using marine antennas with their C.B.'s but....

Anyway thanks

18. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
    I'm afraid I have to stick with the Cobra magnetic mounts for a while. At least until I get my rear differential straightened out. It looks like I hit a rock a opened up the seal, and maybe bent the lower inside lip. I had a guy service it, and put a new gasket on it, and he said he thought it looked ok, but he used this blue rubber or silicon gasket, and it leaks more now than before.
    Kinda sucks because of the Big Bear rub tomorrow, over 20 rigs are supposed to be there doing trails from moderate to very most difficult. I might still make it, but it's beginning to look doubtful.
    3 B

19. taxx

taxx Make em say Ugh

City, State:
    Indianapolis, IN
    73 EB
    Nice CB Alec! I got the same one.

Here is my mount in the klenex box.

[​IMG]

20. Big Bear Bob

City, State:
    Got the special of the month and had to return it with my own money.. I have great things about both Maxon and Cobra that it was suprising to get one that did not transeve. I would key down, but then nothing. I took it to a shop and they said it was a cold soder(sp) point on the inside of the radio. Because it would work fine for a few minutes the quite for no reasone.
    Anyway they said as soon as they get theirs back they would send me anoth one.
    I'm beginning to think I should keep the $44.00 Maxon they have at Wall-Mart.

21. JoshC

JoshC Only rolled it once honey

City, State:
    Culloden, WV
    97 4d OHV
    I know you probably have a full center console, but here is mine.
    [​IMG]

Happy trails!!